Author Topic: 'Mr No' - Meet US Congressman Who Might Delay Coronavirus Bill  (Read 975 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Drudge is also covering this.

'Mr No' - Meet US Congressman Who Might Delay Coronavirus Bill
By Reuters     March 27, 2020

WASHINGTON - U.S. Representative Thomas Massie enraged President Donald Trump on Friday as he has leaders of Congress worried he will delay a planned Friday voice vote on a $2.2 trillion coronavirus economic rescue plan, drawing calls from the White House to throw him out of the Republican Party.

Even before the 49-year-old drew Trump's ire on Twitter, he had been a thorn in the side of both parties so long that he's nicknamed "Mr. No."

"Throw Massie out of the Republican Party!" Trump tweeted on Friday.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-politics/mr-no-meet-us-congressman-who-might-delay-coronavirus-bill
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:18:47 pm by TomSea »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
What an idiot.

The bill is going to pass, and nothing he does will change that.  So all he's doing is requiring everyone else in Congress, and all their aides, etc., to hop back on transportation to return to Washington.  And delaying for a few days the good stuff that it is the bill.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This Massie guy has the self-absorption to be our next President if we ever have anymore.

But if you are gonna move...make sure you call the press and negotiate a payoff for yourself before hand #KAG

Offline DB

Is it too much to ask that the congress actually have a full vote and go on record for spending 2 trillion dollars out of the blue beyond the normal budget?

Is it too much to ask that the congress actually have a full vote and go on record for spending 2 trillion dollars out of the blue beyond the normal budget?
I wouldn't thinks so, but we are going to find out.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Senator Rand Paul and Representative Massee both hail from KY.  All I can say, is that per their interpretations, they are Constitutional AND Conservative and probably Libertarian. I've seen Masse in the news before. Controversial in the past, but not enough, to turn me against him, maybe this is different.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:38:39 pm by TomSea »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: 'Mr No' - Meet US Congressman Who Might Delay Coronavirus Bill
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 09:14:15 pm »
Remember when Ron Paul was Dr. No?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 09:25:01 pm »
Remember when Ron Paul was Dr. No?

The assignation of "Dr. No" to Ron Paul was appropriate and accurate.

Trying to tag Rep. Massie with he same title for rightfully standing up for everything wrong about this legislation is inaccurate and completely off target.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Senator Rand Paul and Representative Massee both hail from KY.  All I can say, is that per their interpretations, they are Constitutional AND Conservative and probably Libertarian. I've seen Masse in the news before. Controversial in the past, but not enough, to turn me against him, maybe this is different.

Why would opposing $25 million for congressional raises in a bill that is allegedly an aid bill to help with Chinese Corona Virus turn you against him?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online roamer_1

What an idiot.

The bill is going to pass, and nothing he does will change that.  So all he's doing is requiring everyone else in Congress, and all their aides, etc., to hop back on transportation to return to Washington.  And delaying for a few days the good stuff that it is the bill.

Yeah.. What's a couple TRILLION between friends?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Especially when all of the usual suspects get paid along the way.

Online roamer_1

... Which is, btw, the first two of a planned SIX TRILLION.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
What an idiot.

He isn't the idiot.  The idiots are the ones who thought they could pull this one off and hop onto a plane for a vacation.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

This Massie guy has the self-absorption to be our next President if we ever have anymore.

But if you are gonna move...make sure you call the press and negotiate a payoff for yourself before hand #KAG

Ben Sasse and Tom Massie.  Sounds real good right now.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Absolutely not!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 03:31:24 am »
Rep Thomas Massie was doing the job he was elected to do.  The stinking Democommies delayed this bill by one week, so I do not want to hear complaints about his expecting Congress to do their job.  The stunt they pulled today was unacceptable, just as much as the week lost with Pelosi attempting to fill the bill with pork out the wazoo.

People having to work, to appear at their job site take the risk every day to make that appearance with the virus.  I am sorry, I do not think the political elite should be treated any different. 

I think Trump's comments were unacceptable.  Talk about crass.  And when Trump and John Kerry have the same talking points, anyone conservative better stop and plug in their brain.

The pork in this bill is HUGE!!!  And unacceptable.  Again, I applaud Massie.

Get ready for inflation like we may have never seen before. 

You think what these self serving pukes are doing will not adversely affect you, think again!!!  Incorporating a pay increase in this bill, and you question a conservative representative who wants to force these jokers to vote on this POS?  Ugggh!!!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 01:14:46 pm »
I doubt the American public cares much... when was the last time any regular people saw any money from these bills? They're usually handed out to unions and special interests. Regular taxpayers never see a dime.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What an idiot.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Wow.... you are calling a conservative who decides to stand up Mr. Smith style and say to no to a porkulus package that has so much that doesn't even address COVID-19 an idiot?  And additonally a bill that will likely dillute our currency , and add an additonal $2T to our national debt. 

Otherwise, I really don't want the Mod's to bleep my responses, so I'll just leave it at that. 

p.s. a Voice vote removes all accountibiity to the bill.  Many of us want every culprit to go on record after this becomes an addtional disaster to our economy.

p.p.s. Wouldn't you think that this POTUS would have more to do in this crisis than bashing conservative legislators?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 02:08:51 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@catfish1957

@Maj. Bill Martin

Wow.... you are calling a conservative who decides to stand up Mr. Smith style and say to no to a porkulus package that has so much that doesn't even address COVID-19 an idiot?

Why, yes.  Yes I am.

p.s. a Voice vote removes all accountibiity to the bill.

No it doesn't do that at all.  This is a huge, signature piece of legislation to which massive attention was drawn.  Any member of Congress who wished to state their opposition to the bill can do so publicly by releasing a press statement of opposition and putting it on their website.  Any member who didn't make such a public statement on their webpage or otherwise can rightly be assumed to have supported the bill.  That's how voters - rightly -- will interpret that voice vote.

p.p.s. Wouldn't you think that this POTUS would have more to do in this crisis than bashing conservative legislators?

Not when they're accomplishing nothing other than to delay for a couple of days the vote on a measure that the President deems time-critical.  If the member didn't want to be singled out as the lone opponent, then he shouldn't have taken the actions that insured he would stand out from the crowd.  I mean, it's really kind of odd.  The entire point of him doing this was to draw attention to his opposition to the bill, right?  So then why bitch if that's exactly what happened?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The couple of trillion was going to happen no matter what.  Nothing he did changed the bill -- much less stopped it -- so it was purely a symbolic action on his part that delayed aid for a few days.  And if he's going to be taking purely symbolic actions at a time like this, then he has nothing to whine about if people aren't happy about the delay.

Offline dfwgator

The couple of trillion was going to happen no matter what.  Nothing he did changed the bill -- much less stopped it -- so it was purely a symbolic action on his part that delayed aid for a few days.  And if he's going to be taking purely symbolic actions at a time like this, then he has nothing to whine about if people aren't happy about the delay.

What delay?  What, like, 20 minutes?!?!?! Ooooooh That Brute!

@Maj. Bill Martin
Agreed

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

That's because they stopped him from getting the vote he wanted by using a quorum maneuver.

More importantly, he was trying to force 435 people to appear physically in that chamber, keep staffers there, etc., when everyone knew that distancing was the smart move.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

(Re: Bill's previous post.)  He lost me when he readily admitted to not having a problem with a bill so filled with Porkulus, that much was not even going toward COVID-19 funding.  No further responses needed as far as I was concerned.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/489832-lawmakers-highlight-flights-back-to-dc-for-huge-coronavirus-vote

Massie's threat to not allow a voice vote on the legislation forced members to come back, making the Kentucky Republican a target of heavy criticism.

“Heading to Washington to vote on pandemic legislation. Because of one Member of Congress refusing to allow emergency action entire Congress must be called back to vote in House. Risk of infection and risk of legislation being delayed. Disgraceful. Irresponsible,” Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) tweeted early Friday morning.

more GOP condemnation of Massie at link