Author Topic: Trump lashes out at GM, Ford over ventilators  (Read 1042 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump lashes out at GM, Ford over ventilators
« on: March 27, 2020, 04:08:45 pm »
Trump lashes out at GM, Ford over ventilators
By Brett Samuels - 03/27/20 11:53 AM EDT

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 232011)

President Trump on Friday lashed out at General Motors and Ford, demanding via tweet that the two major automakers begin churning out ventilators to be used to treat patients with the coronavirus.

Trump issued a sequence of tweets that spurred confusion about his use of the Defense Production Act and muddled his messaging on the need for the breathing machines one day after he questioned whether states were overestimating how many they would need in the coming months.

"General Motors MUST immediately open their stupidly abandoned Lordstown plant in Ohio, or some other plant, and START MAKING VENTILATORS, NOW!!!!!! FORD, GET GOING ON VENTILATORS, FAST!!!!!!" Trump tweeted, referring to a shuttered GM plant that the company sold late last year.

The president in a separate tweet appeared to confirm a New York Times report that the government and GM negotiated a deal that would lead to the production of up to 80,000 ventilators but that it was scrapped due to a price tag of more than $1 billion.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489849-trump-lashes-out-at-gm-ford-over-ventilators
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump lashes out at GM, Ford over ventilators
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 04:15:24 pm »
Been mostly a defender of POTUS of late, but this is totally out of line.  I worked at manufacturing plants for 40 years, and know that retrofits and product slate changes, require much design, engineering, construction, QC etc.  ESPECIALLY for a medical application.  This shit doesn't appear overnight.  It just doesn't happen on the fly.

Chill Donald....., and let people do their jobs.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:19:28 pm »
Time to cut the adderall dose with some xanex.

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 06:16:27 pm »
Been mostly a defender of POTUS of late, but this is totally out of line.  I worked at manufacturing plants for 40 years, and know that retrofits and product slate changes, require much design, engineering, construction, QC etc.  ESPECIALLY for a medical application.  This shit doesn't appear overnight.  It just doesn't happen on the fly.

Then why did GM tell the POTUS they would supply the ventilators?

I hope Trump nails them to the wall.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 07:01:55 pm »

:thumbsup:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 07:07:01 pm »
Then why did GM tell the POTUS they would supply the ventilators?

I hope Trump nails them to the wall.

I know exactly why....  It's one thing to say that you will provide them as they have stated, and I beleive.    It's another when the POTUS thinks they can be created with a magic wand. 

Did you even read what I said what it takes to make huge changes at a manufacturing site?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:13:03 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:30:30 pm »
I know exactly why....  It's one thing to say that you will provide them as they have stated, and I beleive.    It's another when the POTUS thinks they can be created with a magic wand. 

Did you even read what I said what it takes to make huge changes at a manufacturing site?

I read it @catfish1957  goopo

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:50 pm »

I agree.  During WW II, the factory where my Mom worked was converted to making war materials and I think she said at the time, the conversion took months. 

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 07:55:48 pm »
Time to cut the adderall dose with some xanex.

:beer:

Some people really do need to get more sleep. And also, think before they speak or tweet.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 08:01:29 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243557418556162050

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
As usual with “this” General Motors, things just never seem to work out. They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, “very quickly”. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B. Invoke “P”.
10:16 AM · Mar 27, 2020

Anybody speak Trumpanese?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 08:05:34 pm »

I said much the same on another thread.. Heavy industry is too calcified to change quickly.
But YES, it can be done on the fly. By small business.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:52 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:22:51 pm »
Stupid.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 08:23:57 pm »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243557418556162050

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
As usual with “this” General Motors, things just never seem to work out. They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, “very quickly”. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B. Invoke “P”.
10:16 AM · Mar 27, 2020

Anybody speak Trumpanese?

Wait. What? I thought Trump told Hannity last night that we didn't need that many ventilators?
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 08:25:49 pm »
Trump uses Defense Production Act to require GM to make ventilators
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489909-trump-uses-defense-production-act-to-require-gm-to-make-ventilators

Won't change a dang thing. GM is too dang big to move that fast.
If you want a million of something and have a quarter year to gear up, that is what heavy industry does.

It literally cannot do 10,000 in 3 weeks. They ain't made that way. They don't know how.

Again, predictable castle mentality.
If you want Jumpin Jack Flash, don't go looking in the castle districts.
He don't live there.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:10 pm »
Trump uses Defense Production Act to require GM to make ventilators
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/489909-trump-uses-defense-production-act-to-require-gm-to-make-ventilators
Today

"GM was wasting time," the president asserted. "Today’s action will help ensure the quick production of ventilators that will save American lives."
Yesterday

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattperez/2020/03/26/president-trump-says-we-dont-need-the-defense-production-act-as-states-struggle-with-supply-shortages/#3bb83b625e55

Trump defended his decision to avoid using the act by saying companies like General Motors, Ford Motors and 3M have already stepped up to begin developing supplies. "Frankly they don't need someone to walk over there with a hammer and say do it," he said. Proponents of using the act argue it would help with needed coordination to get the supplies to states.

How many personalities does our President have?

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 08:33:58 pm »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/trump-criticizes-gm-ceo-mary-barra-for-wanting-top-dollar-for-ventilators.html

Trump criticizes GM, CEO Mary Barra for wanting ‘top dollar’ for producing ventilators
PUBLISHED FRI, MAR 27 202011:38 AM EDT UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

President Donald Trump criticized General Motors and CEO Mary Barra on Friday for their response to producing life-saving ventilators amid the coronavirus pandemic and wanting “top dollar” for doing so.

“As usual with ‘this’ General Motors, things just never seem to work out,” Trump tweeted. “They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, ‘very quickly’. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B. Invoke ‘P’.”

Sounds like some over-promising on quantity and under-promising on price are key contexts to the "lashing out".
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 08:36:30 pm »
Won't change a dang thing. GM is too dang big to move that fast.
If you want a million of something and have a quarter year to gear up, that is what heavy industry does.

It literally cannot do 10,000 in 3 weeks. They ain't made that way. They don't know how.

Again, predictable castle mentality.
If you want Jumpin Jack Flash, don't go looking in the castle districts.
He don't live there.
Some flunky at the FDA would likely block their use until they had undergone months of rigorous testing before they got the Good Housekeeping Seal or whatever it is.

Kinda like the EPA did with all the oil skimmers during the Macundo Blowout.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »
I thought Trump was a stable genius.  Hell, even I know these ventilators or respirators can't be produced that fast and I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. 

This is all about Trump preserving his tough guy image.  He's worried about his re-election chances, not about doing the right thing for the people he is supposed to lead.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 08:44:59 pm »
I thought Trump was a stable genius.  Hell, even I know these ventilators or respirators can't be produced that fast and I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. 

This is all about Trump preserving his tough guy image.  He's worried about his re-election chances, not about doing the right thing for the people he is supposed to lead.
Well, after three years of shampeachment and now the quick segue to being the third rider of the apocalypse, yeah, I'd say the media have pretty consistently been threatening his reelection.

In spite of all that, he has done a lot of 'right things'.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 08:45:28 pm »
Some flunky at the FDA would likely block their use until they had undergone months of rigorous testing before they got the Good Housekeeping Seal or whatever it is.

Kinda like the EPA did with all the oil skimmers during the Macundo Blowout.

That's right enough, but they won't even be able to re-gear a factory in anything approaching a useful time frame. @catfish1957 is stone-dead right.

It's the wrong system, the wrong way, with the wrong people. Again this is a logistics thing/ Seat-of-the-pants... Kick-it-in-the-a$$-and-make-its-lungs-work...

There ain't a board room in America that has ever done that.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 08:47:28 pm »
That's right enough, but they won't even be able to re-gear a factory in anything approaching a useful time frame. @catfish1957 is stone-dead right.

It's the wrong system, the wrong way, with the wrong people. Again this is a logistics thing/ Seat-of-the-pants... Kick-it-in-the-a$$-and-make-its-lungs-work...

There ain't a board room in America that has ever done that.
Right. With the drop in oil prices, maybe approaching some smaller oilfield manufacturers who may not have so much to do, with a set of plans would get the job done quicker. (greater corporate agility, and some darned good machinists).

C S Lewis

Offline Absalom

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 08:49:39 pm »
Stand w/Trump on this:
* GM stepped up here; their arm was NOT twisted!!!
* Ventilators have already been invented and hardly require advanced science!!!
* The first thing produced by Barra was the bill, NOT a ventilator.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 08:51:48 pm »

Yes they can. Just not in the castle. You need to go to the bazaar. Distributed network.

You need a prototype, a parts list, and no electronics. Let it out to light industry and small business, and start working on an assembly plant. Within two weeks you'll have parts pouring in.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »
Right. With the drop in oil prices, maybe approaching some smaller oilfield manufacturers who may not have so much to do, with a set of plans would get the job done quicker. (greater corporate agility, and some darned good machinists).

That's right. Light industry and small business. They are by nature, quick-change. They'll re-gear in a day or two to run small lots. That's how you get 10,000 [insert something here] in a week.