Author Topic: Trump's campaign is trying to remove a video in which he appears to call the coronavirus a 'hoax,' s  (Read 580 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-remove-video-saying-coronavirus-hoax-2020-3
Trump's campaign is trying to remove a video in which he appears to call the coronavirus a 'hoax,' saying it's misleading

President Donald Trump's reelection campaign has issued a cease-and-desist letter to television stations that aired what the campaign calls a "patently false, misleading, and deceptive" advertisement by a political action committee.

A video created by Priorities USA Action, a PAC that has supported Democratic presidential candidates, showed a chart of coronavirus cases that rose as Trump's past comments downplaying the virus played in the background.

The letter took issue in particular with the opening of the video, which stitched together Trump saying the phrases "the coronavirus" and "this is their new hoax."

more at link

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMwvmJLnc0

Offline aligncare

*****rollingeyes*****

No sale. Trump didn’t say the virus was a hoax, he said the hysteria ginned up by the media was a hoax.

By the way, Trump has a sixteen-point edge over the media on credibility (Gallup poll).  :yowsa:

Offline Applewood

*****rollingeyes*****

No sale. Trump didn’t say the virus was a hoax, he said the hysteria ginned up by the media was a hoax.

By the way, Trump has a sixteen-point edge over the media on credibility (Gallup poll).  :yowsa:

And the campaign ad does not say Trump called the virus a hoax.  The audio in the ad has Trump saying the virus was "their hoax." 

The ad uses audio of Trump's own words.  Maybe taken out of context, but those are audio recordings of his own voice.  Nothing slanderous or libelous.  Campaign ads have used audio of opponents' voices before and in misleading ways.  I'm sure Trump's campaign will do the same if they run any ads.  Maybe this was done in the 2016 campaign.  I don't remember.

If the Trump campaign has a problem with this ad, maybe it should have gone after the PAC that sponsored it.  The media which airs the ad has no responsibility for the content of the ad.  It just takes the money from the sponsor and puts the ad out there. 

I suppose this is part of Trump's never-ending war against the media.  I don't really see him and his campaign winning if they decide to pursue legal action against the media. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Well, well, well. Look who comes out, on Katthy Lee Griffith new debut day?

Guaran-damn-teed to be a hit with the TDS-SJW college kids in Madison.

Pnoniest conservative, since the fake deacon in my opinion.

The video quivalent of "photoshop"  is called Deep Fake, which this is.

Increasingly makes one realize why Jim Robinson, ran off the loser variety of #nevertrumpers.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

*****rollingeyes*****

I agree.  There is no way I'm voting for the media in Nov.

Well, well, well. Look who comes out, on Katthy Lee Griffith new debut day?

Guaran-damn-teed to be a hit with the TDS-SJW college kids in Madison.

Pnoniest conservative, since the fake deacon in my opinion.

The video quivalent of "photoshop"  is called Deep Fake, which this is.

Increasingly makes one realize why Jim Robinson, ran off the loser variety of #nevertrumpers.

I thought most of us here were run off or spooked by JimRob, but you're appealing to the Briefers who hold him in high esteem. :pondering:  Don't let me stop your rant @truth_seeker .  Tell me all about the white-hot rage that flushes over you when you talk about deranged Trump haters. 
I'm finding it fascinating and hilarious, but please help me out with a ping ( @Once-Ler ) so don't miss a slur.   88finger point

Offline PeteS in CA

Oh F#S! https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

In context, Trump did not say in the passage above that the virus itself was a hoax. He instead said that Democrats’ criticism of his administration’s response to it was a hoax.

Snopes squirted lots of ink on that page, but could not avoid stating the above without obviously and blatantly lying.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Mod2

Online Mesaclone

And the campaign ad does not say Trump called the virus a hoax.  The audio in the ad has Trump saying the virus was "their hoax." 

The ad uses audio of Trump's own words.  Maybe taken out of context, but those are audio recordings of his own voice.  Nothing slanderous or libelous.  Campaign ads have used audio of opponents' voices before and in misleading ways.  I'm sure Trump's campaign will do the same if they run any ads.  Maybe this was done in the 2016 campaign.  I don't remember.

If the Trump campaign has a problem with this ad, maybe it should have gone after the PAC that sponsored it.  The media which airs the ad has no responsibility for the content of the ad.  It just takes the money from the sponsor and puts the ad out there. 

I suppose this is part of Trump's never-ending war against the media.  I don't really see him and his campaign winning if they decide to pursue legal action against the media.

@Applewood

So, if I spliced together your words from multiple contexts so that it showed you saying “I am a rapist”....your argument, as you stated above, is that it’s NOT slander?

That...is batshit crazy. EVERYONE should have a problem with splicing together non-contextual statements into an utterly false and completely made up alternate statement.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:27:30 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain