Author Topic: Have the Media Lost Their Mojo?  (Read 221 times)

rangerrebew

Have the Media Lost Their Mojo?
« on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:27 pm »

Have the Media Lost Their Mojo?

Thaddeus Wert
| March 25, 2020

Listening to Andrew Klavan’s podcast has opened my eyes to how the American media complex – from news to entertainment – has promoted a monolithic political narrative. We may look back on the past four years as the time the media finally lost their power to create and maintain their desired narrative.

The most obvious example is the 2016 election. The election of Donald Trump caught every news outlet completely by surprise. As far as I know, only Salena Zito and Molly Hemingway understood what was happening and predicted his upset over Hillary. After the election, I quit watching cable news – even my favorite show, Bret Baier’s “Special Report.” I realized that all the pundits pontificating so confidently don’t know a dang thing. I’m sure they’re quite intelligent, but they are stupefyingly ignorant.

https://ricochet.com/735598/have-the-media-lost-their-mojo/

Offline skeeter

Re: Have the Media Lost Their Mojo?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »
It seems like it. I certainly hope so.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 06:02:50 pm »
IMO, the MSM started down the path toward being unpaid partisan prostitutes in the 1960s, and people started, slowly and gradually, waking up to their game some time during Carter's MalAdministration. The MSM kept going down that partisan path, increasingly with every election, with boosts with every R President. And bursts of recognition with the advents of ConservaTalk radio and the Internet - more people waking up to their game.

What makes 2015 and 2016 stand out, IMO, is that the MSM tried to torpedo a candidate during the R Primaries, and failed, abjectly. And then failed to take him, Trump, down during the general election campaign.

If by some magic from an alternate universe the MSM admitted what they have been doing for 5 decades, apologized, and became non-partisan, it would take decades for the MSM to come close to the cautious trust they enjoyed in the 50s and 60s.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:07:51 pm »
NOPE. All y'all are hiding in your houses, aincha?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 06:10:17 pm »
A LONG time ago with me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:30:36 am »
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-03-25/tv-news-audiences-are-surging-thanks-to-coronavirus-pandemic

Cable and broadcast networks typically see a Nielsen ratings bump when the public is captivated by a major crisis. But the networks have rarely experienced anything quite like the viewership surge they are seeing at all hours of the day, as half the country is ordered to stay home in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

A stark example was the Fox News broadcast from the White House on Tuesday with President Trump and other officials discussing the crisis. The audience of 4.4 million viewers was the largest ever for a cable news town hall program, even though it aired at noon Eastern time, when there are typically fewer people available to watch.

Despite criticism that it initially downplayed the virus outbreak, Fox News had its most-watched week of 2020 from March 16 to March 22, with an average of 2.5 million throughout the day, a 73% increase over a comparable week last year. It was followed by CNN’s 1.55 million viewers, which was up 151% from last year, and MSNBC, which drew 1.48 million viewers for a 45% gain.

The three broadcast network evening newscasts, which have seen their clout diminish in recent years as more viewers turn to cable and the internet, are seeing their highest viewing levels in more than 15 years. Last week, they averaged 32 million viewers, according to Nielsen. That was the most viewers since January 2004, before streaming and the widespread use of DVRs.

“ABC World News Tonight With David Muir” and “NBC Nightly News With Lester Holt” locked up the entire 10 most-watched programs from March 16 to March 22, including all prime-time shows ranked by Nielsen.

Muir’s program averaged 12.5 million viewers for the week, a level not seen in 20 years since Peter Jennings anchored the program, while Holt scored 12 million viewers. NBC is even giving a second run of Holt’s broadcast in some markets. “CBS Evening News With Norah O’Donnell” drew 7.6 million viewers, its largest audience since Jan. 2017.