Author Topic: Everyone is talking about Dan Patrick’s on-air death plea.  (Read 965 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Washington Post by Greg Sargent 3/24/2020

Patrick, the lieutenant governor of Texas, touched off an outpouring of anger when he declared to Tucker Carlson that people like him — grandparents in their twilight years — should risk death so people can stop social distancing to avert economic calamity.

Why has this touched such a chord on social media?

Patrick, a Republican, noted that it’s time to “get back to work,” adding that seniors such as him should be willing to be “sacrificed” if necessary, so our children don’t “lose our whole country” to an “economic collapse”:

Health experts are screaming warnings. As Tom Inglesbe, the director of Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, powerfully argues, the failure to test has dramatically undercounted the true numbers of those infected. This, plus a looming exponential surge in cases, almost certainly means that, if we don’t continue major social distancing, our health system will soon be overwhelmed.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/24/viral-on-air-plea-captures-an-essential-truth-about-trump/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Everyone is talking about Dan Patrick’s on-air death plea.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:46:01 pm »
DAN PATRICK SPARKS GRANDMA REVOLUTION IN TEXAS…FU MOVEMENT

I'm Mad Too Harry March 25, 2020 by harrystorm

https://immadtooharry.com/2020/03/25/dan-patrick-sparks-grandma-revolution-in-texas-fu-movement/

FROM AMARILLO TO LAREDO  TEXAS WOMEN EVERYWHERE HAVE STOPPED CANNING, FREEZING HOMEGROWN VEGETABLES AND WEED, PUT THE GRANDKIDS TO BED THAT THEY’RE RAISING ALONE,  STOPPED QUILTING, AND SACRIFICING LIKE THEY’VE ALWAYS DONE TO TELL DAN PATRICK TO fk HIMSELF.

Hope Dan likes a world without canned pickles, homemade cakes and other delights only the elderly KNOW HOW TO DO.  Who the hell does he think is going to teach others to garden, mother, bake, and raise kids?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 09:52:44 pm »
I thought it was pretty stupid.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:00:36 pm »
He's damn well right.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:11:01 pm »
He's damn well right.

We're always arguing about how Trump says things that can be taken the wrong way (some of us are more vociferous about it than others and won't spell his name correctly), and Patrick can reasonably construed to be encouraging people to decrease the surplus population.  The optics are beyond poor.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 10:24:08 pm »
We're always arguing about how Trump says things that can be taken the wrong way (some of us are more vociferous about it than others and won't spell his name correctly), and Patrick can reasonably construed to be encouraging people to decrease the surplus population.  The optics are beyond poor.

Not at all. Listen to him.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:16 pm »
Not at all. Listen to him.

I heard it live.  He did a pretty good job of handing the Rats an issue to bash him with.  Dare I say, it was "Tump-worthy."
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 10:32:24 pm »
I heard it live.  He did a pretty good job of handing the Rats an issue to bash him with.  Dare I say, it was "Tump-worthy."

Whether or not, he's still damn well right.
Shutting the whole joint down, suspending habeas corpus, drones in the air... All that for a mortality rate that amounts to a statistical anomaly... Arguably hardly more than the margin of error.

What, 800 out of 350,000,000?
Really?

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 10:34:42 pm »
Frankly this is going to have to run its course bouncing off the limits of dead people and economic destruction. Both are going to happen. People will have to decide which they fear the most while both are occurring.

There is no winning or making people whole again. Just have to do our best to survive it and live with the consequences.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 10:39:18 pm »
Whether or not, he's still damn well right.
Shutting the whole joint down, suspending habeas corpus, drones in the air... All that for a mortality rate that amounts to a statistical anomaly... Arguably hardly more than the margin of error.

Really?

Look, I'm not arguing about the correctness of what he said, it's how he said it, which puts me right alongside the folks who regularly attack Donald Trump for the way he puts things.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:37 pm »
@roamer, is, essentially, right.  We have never responded to a pandemic before by sacrificing the economy and literally the very livelihoods of millions.  That's a lot of sacrifice and even destitution just to save the lives of some of us old folks. 

I understand I need to take this thing seriously.   I don't want to see my kids' worlds collapse to save me.
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:31 pm »

Really?

Say it is 1% mortality rate... wouldn't that be 3.5million instead of 800? Maybe I missed some new study that says a lot less folks are dying. I don't know.

I imagine the city folks are starting to flee their little city oasis areas and infect the rural areas in great numbers... in two days the numbers have doubled in state.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:55:28 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:37 pm »
@roamer, is, essentially, right.  We have never responded to a pandemic before by sacrificing the economy and literally the very livelihoods of millions.  That's a lot of sacrifice and even destitution just to save the lives of some of us old folks. 

I understand I need to take this thing seriously.   I don't want to see my kids' worlds collapse to save me.

I  have a more basic concern:  Why are we quarantining and "Social Distancing" healthy but at risk people, while doing things like emptying the prisons of (un-screened) felons because of "the virus."  All the while driving the economy into a hole in the ground. 

For once I have to say any Democrat would be able to defeat Trump in November if things keep on like this.  So far I've been pretty optimistic, but this is big enough to consume him, along with the rest of the freshly-Communist former beacon of light now known as the USA.

When the healthy are quarantined while the sick run free, that's Tyranny (with a capital "T"), and will not be put up with beyond a reasonable time, measured in weeks.  The public is putting up with it now, but ask them again in a month.
I will NOT comply.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 11:03:01 pm »
Say it is 1% mortality rate... wouldn't that be 3.5million instead of 800? Maybe I missed some new study that says a lot less folks are dying. I don't know.

I imagine the city folks are starting to flee their little city oasis areas and infect the rural areas in great numbers... in two days the numbers have doubled in state.

I think it is far less then 1% but the mortality rate only applies to those that get infected. Not everyone in the USA is going to get infected. Keep an eye on South Korea, the best data we have is coming from them. Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore have good data too. Sadly Europe blew it by not taking this virus seriously and now Germany, France, Spain and Italy are screwed. They are overwhelmed so their data can not be trusted. Dido NYC

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 11:22:18 pm »
seniors such as him should be willing to be “sacrificed” if necessary

uh huh

A polly at a mic saying stupid shit. Lead by example and after finishing your speech shoot yourself in the effing head.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:53 pm »
I think it is far less then 1% but the mortality rate only applies to those that get infected. Not everyone in the USA is going to get infected. Keep an eye on South Korea, the best data we have is coming from them. Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore have good data too. Sadly Europe blew it by not taking this virus seriously and now Germany, France, Spain and Italy are screwed. They are overwhelmed so their data can not be trusted. Dido NYC

Who knows, Louisiana right now is about 3.7% and my state 0%... then the fun of trying to factor what happens when the healthcare/hospitals get overwhelmed like Italy. In state, we have double in two days the number of infected 250 to 500 basically, that amount of climb can not be good, and I suspect very very dangerous.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 11:58:34 pm »
Frankly this is going to have to run its course bouncing off the limits of dead people and economic destruction. Both are going to happen. People will have to decide which they fear the most while both are occurring.

Have to agree with @DB.  There’s a ditch on either side of this road, deaths on the left and economic disaster on the right.  We’re in the right-hand ditch but we can’t stay there, too many lives will be physically healthy but materially and emotionally destroyed.

I’m fortunate, I can work from home.  Millions cannot.  Are their lives to be sacrificed?

Physicians seem to see only a one-dimensional problem here, but in the aggregate it’s more complex than that.
James 1:20

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 03:10:42 am »
I think Patrick's statement will become a "Clayton Williams" moment.

Whether or not he meant it that way, the media will make sure it's interpreted that way.
Let it burn.