Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2  (Read 158796 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2020, 09:48:06 pm »
musiclady wrote:
"If our medical professionals get sick, we’re all in big trouble..."

The mail came today with a letter from my primary care physician, who I've been seeing regularly for 23 years (and irregularly before that) -- he's retiring, effective next month.

Well... he's up around 80, so I guess he's earned a good retirement.
Perhaps he realized it's time to get out while the gettin' is still good, and he's still alive.
But it's not going to be easy to find a replacement...

In Ohio the health department is actually bringing back retired physicians to work the phones and do tele-medicine to free up active physicians to care for patients.

They’re also using medical students who are about to graduate and training surgeons (who are not doing elective surgeries) as NURSES.

The innovations are fantastic as the medical community deals with the worst healthcare crisis in 102 years.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:48:52 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2020, 10:03:24 pm »
Pete wonders:
"Why are NY and NJ so far ahead of CA in coronavirus cases?"

Look who's runnin' those places.
Particularly Komrade Wilhelm, mayor of New York City, the American epicenter of the infection.

Unfortunately, NYC's blunders regarding the virus are spilling over to southwest Connecticut, where I'm at...

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2020, 10:54:36 pm »
Low testosterone soy boy beta males, like myself, have naturally slow hair growth.  I often go a couple weeks without shaving, but eventually my sensitive skin compels me.  I shoot for the freshly homeless look.

If you are going to shoot at something go for freshly dead /s.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2020, 10:55:04 pm »
Potatoes wrote:
"A business partner of ours has a good friend who was very ill with the virus.  They had a hard time finding the malaria drug combo, but had connections to get it.  The next day they were fine.  Nice having first hand knowledge that it is working"

I wouldn't mind hearing a little more about this, if there's any more to tell.
Also... what dosages were used?
Might be good info to have if I end up in the hospital here...!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2020, 11:01:26 pm »
All that money spent for schooling for my daughter for to be a haircutter. She is out of work. Except for all the people calling her up. I used to tease her about the cost of a haircut for me based on what I paid for her schooling. I was fair. I would cut the amount of her schooling in half for each haircut. Now, apparently, I owe her money.

One other thing. From the looks of things today, in Idaho, the "shelter in place" order by the guv means get in your car and drive around aimlessly.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2020, 12:06:30 am »
All that money spent for schooling for my daughter for to be a haircutter. She is out of work. Except for all the people calling her up. I used to tease her about the cost of a haircut for me based on what I paid for her schooling. I was fair. I would cut the amount of her schooling in half for each haircut. Now, apparently, I owe her money.

One other thing. From the looks of things today, in Idaho, the "shelter in place" order by the guv means get in your car and drive around aimlessly.
We've seen folks from Idaho over this way for years practically living in their pickups, so that sounds about right...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2020, 12:14:30 am »
We've seen folks from Idaho over this way for years practically living in their pickups, so that sounds about right...

Can you blame them? Before it became a national craze, ya'll always did have a teepee shortage.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2020, 12:21:27 am »

been there done that. If there was a t-shirt for it nobody told me.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2020, 12:22:34 am »
Can you blame them? Before it became a national craze, ya'll always did have a teepee shortage.
Not so bad. Just drink more tea...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2020, 12:23:35 am »
been there done that. If there was a t-shirt for it nobody told me.
Why I have used vans for field vehicles going on 35 years, that, and your stuff stays dry (and yours).

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2020, 12:30:15 am »
Why I have used vans for field vehicles going on 35 years, that, and your stuff stays dry (and yours).

Yep... Had me a 76 Chevy van for a while... Always was going to convert it to 4WD, but never did... That was smoothin it, compared to a doghouse on the back of the pickup.

But, fixin to build me a new doghouse for the pickup this spring... I wonder if it will be as nostalgic as I remember...

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:11 am »
Yep... Had me a 76 Chevy van for a while... Always was going to convert it to 4WD, but never did... That was smoothin it, compared to a doghouse on the back of the pickup.

But, fixin to build me a new doghouse for the pickup this spring... I wonder if it will be as nostalgic as I remember...

Always was going to convert it to 4WD, but never did...

Lack of rabbits...hahhahahahhaaa

Online roamer_1

« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:28 am »

Always was going to convert it to 4WD, but never did...

Lack of rabbits...hahhahahahhaaa

:silly: Yeah... something like that.  :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2020, 01:07:52 am »
In the midst of a sizable amount of bad news today, some good news:
The CDC publishes a chart sorting new infections by date of first sign of illness (as opposed to the date the positive test is reported). There's a ten-day lag to allow for test processing, but new cases with symptoms that manifested March 14 went down 5% compared to those March 13. Again, consider: there is an average of five days' incubation before first symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

So logic would presume that a sharp decline in new cases should, indeed, be coming very soon. How soon? We don't know.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2020, 01:20:11 am »
In the midst of a sizable amount of bad news today, some good news:
The CDC publishes a chart sorting new infections by date of first sign of illness (as opposed to the date the positive test is reported). There's a ten-day lag to allow for test processing, but new cases with symptoms that manifested March 14 went down 5% compared to those March 13. Again, consider: there is an average of five days' incubation before first symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

So logic would presume that a sharp decline in new cases should, indeed, be coming very soon. How soon? We don't know.

Well maybe not so fast. A single day of decrease does not a trend make. It may be nothing more than an anomaly. Three or four days running with decreases would be the beginning of a reliable trend.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:17 am »
Well maybe not so fast. A single day of decrease does not a trend make. It may be nothing more than an anomaly. Three or four days running with decreases would be the beginning of a reliable trend.
Right. But I base this not just on the data alone but on logic, considering the distancing measures began that week. This is the first datum to corroborate it.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2020, 01:30:50 am »
Right. But I base this not just on the data alone but on logic, considering the distancing measures began that week. This is the first datum to corroborate it.
I wasn't seeing much social distancing at our local walking park today.  It seems the kids home from college feel the need to socialize with their buddies.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:54 am »
I wasn't seeing much social distancing at our local walking park today.  It seems the kids home from college feel the need to socialize with their buddies.

Voluntary quarantine is pretty much a waste of time... It does represent diminished risk at an individual level, when reasonably applied, but that really doesn't mean much in the aggregate, because of teenagers and such. It's a pretty slipshod system with loose protocols.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2020, 01:39:50 am »

Good enough, but it still needs to show a trend.

Also seems hard to correlate, at least later, due to exponential testing increases. I don't know how to suss that out effectively. For instance, more detecting increases positives, but more positives decrease the mortality rate (as deaths remain counted evenly). A sharper pencil than mine would be needed.
But, that may all be after the data set you are looking at.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2020, 03:17:23 am »
Prof. Steve Hanke
@steve_hanke
In the US, ventilators are in short supply, and private firms are stepping up to deliver these life-savers.  The private sector is leading the fight against #Coronavirus. Once again, the #FreeMarket is achieving what bulky, bloated gov'ts seldom do.

Lacking Ventilators, Hospitals Seek Out Alternative Device
To treat coronavirus patients, doctors modify oxygen device made by small Texas company now flooded with orders

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lacking-ventilators-hospitals-seek-out-alternative-device-11585154579?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=9

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1243273145995452416

So, that's interesting, he looks a bit like an astronaut.  Paywall.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:31:01 am by TomSea »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2020, 10:03:53 am »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243407157321560071

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
Just finished a very good conversation with President Xi of China. Discussed in great detail the CoronaVirus that is ravaging large parts of our Planet. China has been through much & has developed a strong understanding of the Virus. We are working closely together. Much respect!
12:19 AM · Mar 27, 2020

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2020, 10:55:55 am »
People seem to be taking it very seriously where I am. Not seeing any group more than two, other than families. People who see each other on the street to talk are staying six feet apart.

And perhaps not coincidentally there are still no confirmed cases here. So I think there is hope, at least around here—so long as the vast majority of people are doing it. It doesn't even have to be everybody. Just enough, as the cliché goes, to "flatten the curve." (Though I'd argue that it's not so much one curve but a bunch of little ones.)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2020, 11:24:25 am »
BREAKING 
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson tests positive for COVID-19

Boris Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus.

The prime minster tweeted: "Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus.

"I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government's response via video-conference as we fight this virus.

"Together we will beat this. #StayHomeSaveLives."

More follows...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-boris-johnson-tests-positive-for-covid-19-11964493
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:44 pm »
BREAKING 
Health Secretary Matt Hancock tests positive for coronavirus

[/quote]

Boris Johnson has also contracted COVID-19 and says he has a temperature and persistent cough.

Heath Secretary Matt Hancock has tested positive for coronavirus and is self-isolating at home with mild symptoms.

[/quote]

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-i-dont-think-we-are-crashing-economy-business-secretary-11964345
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2020, 01:31:23 pm »
I'm no doctor and don't play one on TEE BEE but it is my strong opinion that millions of people have had this particular brand of Coronavirus and never even knew it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien