Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 127382 times)

BassWrangler

Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #400 on: March 28, 2021, 01:09:44 am »
@BassWrangler

Maybe I am showing my age,but I am also happy to see casts that look like real people,not all 25 year old models yelling "Hoo YAH!" and kicking 15 attackers into submission without getting a hair out of place or even winded.

The Brits seem to go for the best actors or actresses who are available at the time they are casting,with talent and availability being the prime concerns.

Yes, acting definitely is better than the average american TV series - at last those from our pma or networks.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #401 on: March 28, 2021, 03:13:46 pm »
Just clicked on CONDOR...on Epix Network.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6510950/

A brilliant, young, idealistic CIA analyst finds himself in the middle of a conspiracy that kills everyone else at his office. Can he, with no field experience, stay alive long enough to get to the bottom of it?

Excellent! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

BassWrangler

« Reply #402 on: March 28, 2021, 03:39:18 pm »
@BassWrangler

Maybe I am showing my age,but I am also happy to see casts that look like real people,not all 25 year old models yelling "Hoo YAH!" and kicking 15 attackers into submission without getting a hair out of place or even winded.

The Brits seem to go for the best actors or actresses who are available at the time they are casting,with talent and availability being the prime concerns.

Hey @sneakypete - looks like I was wrong about who is responsible for this show, 'Endeavor. It is actually PBS and Masterpiece Theater. Has all British cast, though.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2021, 05:25:13 pm »
Hey @sneakypete - looks like I was wrong about who is responsible for this show, 'Endeavor. It is actually PBS and Masterpiece Theater. Has all British cast, though.

@BassWrangler

Not far off at all. I watch a LOT of stuff on PBS,and don't let it "not being conservative PC" bother me a bit.

And I consider Masterpiece Theater to be the American version of BBC. LOTS of good series to view if you will just open your mind to it.

Frankly,I expect better than to see the blind PC bias of the left on display from the right. We are supposed to be the ones with open-minds.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2021, 12:53:45 am »
Watching "The Passion of the Christ".  We've seen it several times, and each time I catch different things that I didn't notice before.

In my opinion, this is one of Mel Gibson's best movies.  The first time we saw it at the theater, there was complete silence during and after the movie; no one even said a word on the way out.  As a Christian, how can you see this movie and it not have a profound impact on you?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2021, 08:15:09 am »
Watching "The Passion of the Christ".  We've seen it several times, and each time I catch different things that I didn't notice before.

In my opinion, this is one of Mel Gibson's best movies.  The first time we saw it at the theater, there was complete silence during and after the movie; no one even said a word on the way out.  As a Christian, how can you see this movie and it not have a profound impact on you?
It is a powerful movie, and I agree, one of the (if not the) best of his movies
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2021, 10:55:03 pm »
Sat/Sun nights I watched a Russian film from 1994:
"Burnt By The Sun".

Hardest part was that it had embedded subtitles, that weren't English, so I had to dig up English subtitles which then were superimposed over the default ones. It was doable, but frustrating.

There's also a "Burnt by the Sun II", will watch that a couple of weeks from now.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #407 on: April 08, 2021, 02:05:59 pm »
Shameless airs it's final episode on April 11th,and you can bet I am going to be watching it with both regret and joy.

I have no idea how the writers managed to write this show for 11 freaking years before the Gallagher Gang ran out of story lines that shock,but damned if they didn't do it!

I was thinking Frank would have sunken as low as a human-being can sink by the time the first season ended,but damned if he wasn't finding new lows to experience right up to the end.

Gonna miss them,but nothing lasts forever. Not even the Gallagher's.

If you never watched this show,sit down,buckle up for the ride,and start in on Episode 1,season 1,and prepare to be both astounded and laughing at the same time. It IS  a wild ride.

BTW,for those of you desperate for a "Gallagher fix",there is a BBC version you can watch,but it just doesn't seem as funny to me. Probably because of cultural differences because it was a big hit in England.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:07:17 pm by sneakypete »

BassWrangler

« Reply #408 on: April 09, 2021, 02:08:12 am »
@BassWrangler

Not far off at all. I watch a LOT of stuff on PBS,and don't let it "not being conservative PC" bother me a bit.

And I consider Masterpiece Theater to be the American version of BBC. LOTS of good series to view if you will just open your mind to it.

Frankly,I expect better than to see the blind PC bias of the left on display from the right. We are supposed to be the ones with open-minds.

@sneakypete - you watching Endeavor yet? Looks like there is a Season 8 coming out later this year. Although calling these seasons is a stretch. Season 7 and apparently 8 are only 3 episodes.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #409 on: April 09, 2021, 04:25:51 am »
@sneakypete - you watching Endeavor yet? Looks like there is a Season 8 coming out later this year. Although calling these seasons is a stretch. Season 7 and apparently 8 are only 3 episodes.

@BassWrangler

Not yet,but I will,and it will be first-class when it airs.

BassWrangler

« Reply #410 on: April 09, 2021, 03:10:32 pm »
@BassWrangler

Not yet,but I will,and it will be first-class when it airs.

I think you'll enjoy it. There was a little bit of "woke" they snuck in during the last season or two - but it wasn't enough to ruin the show, fortunately.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #411 on: April 09, 2021, 03:18:04 pm »
I started watching the Ken Burns documentary on Ernest Hemingway last night. PBS)

It’s wonderful to see the old photos from the 1910’s and 1920’s. But as much as I admire Hemingway foe his writing, I’m not crazy about him as a person or a husband.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #412 on: April 09, 2021, 10:31:40 pm »
I started watching the Ken Burns documentary on Ernest Hemingway last night. PBS)

It’s wonderful to see the old photos from the 1910’s and 1920’s. But as much as I admire Hemingway foe his writing, I’m not crazy about him as a person or a husband.
He was a dedicated leftist. He openly sympathized with the Spanish Republicans i.e. Marxists during the Spanish Civil War. Hemingway narrated the documentary about the war "The Spanish Earth" (which I've seen several times) making no bones about whom he supported. He was also a big fan of Castro's Cuban revolution, and Castro had a statue of him built that stands in Havana harbor.
I never liked his style much. But many people did, so maybe it's me who lacks the proper appreciation of his literary worth.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #413 on: April 09, 2021, 10:48:52 pm »
I scraped up a 720p copy of the early 60's film "The Story of Ruth", and will watch it this weekend...

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #414 on: April 11, 2021, 12:32:40 pm »
Watched the series 'Monk' on Hulu. It was very annoying.
The Monk character is an unlikeable mentally disabled psychopath.

The 'mysteries' are somewhat compelling but the 10-15 minute episodes of watching Monk deal with mundane nothing issues is hard to watch. Monk doesn't like dirt or trash. Monk doesn't understand a beach. Monk doesn't understand a bus or a taxi. Monk doesn't understand what a pet or an animal is. Monk will stop to clean up a mess while he is being shot at by a murderer. I GET IT! It's the same joke over and over and over and over, in between watching him abuse his private nurse which I assume is supposed to be funny, or something?

The overriding theme of the show is Monk trying to find the people who murdered his wife. This is supposed to be a big deal conspiracy. When he finally solves the crime it was a huge disappointment. Without saying too much, it is not any kind of an international cabal. In fact, being that it is the whole point of the entire series, it is simplistic in the extreme.

I watched it, sort of, while screwing around on the computer.  It is not something I could watch again.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:26:29 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #415 on: April 11, 2021, 01:22:11 pm »
Watched the series 'Monk' on Hulu. It was very annoying.
The Monk character is an unlikeable mentally disabled psychopath.

The 'mysteries' are somewhat compelling but the 10-15 minute episodes of watching Monk deal with mundane nothing issues is hard to watch. Monk doesn't like dirt or trash. Monk doesn't understand a beach. Monk doesn't understand a bus or a taxi. Monk doesn't understand what a pet or an animal is. Monk will stop to clean up a mess while he is being shot at by a murderer. I GET IT! It's the same joke over and over and over and over, in between watching him abuse his private nurse which I assume is supposed to be funny, or something?

The overriding theme of the show is Monk trying to find the people who murdered his wife. This is supposed to be a big deal conspiracy. When he finally solves the crime it was a huge disappointment. Without saying too much, it not any kind of an international cabal. In fact, being that it is the whole point of the entire series, it is simplistic in the extreme.

I watched it, sort of, while screwing around on the computer.  It is not something I could watch again.
Annoying. Yes and no. His problem is supposed to be humorous, and it does accomplish that from time to time. Not a huge fan, but I am somewhat of a fan.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #416 on: April 11, 2021, 01:39:46 pm »

Annoying. Yes and no. His problem is supposed to be humorous, and it does accomplish that from time to time. Not a huge fan, but I am somewhat of a fan.
I agree. Some episodes were amusing, but some were unwatchable. Watching a grown man not understand simple basic concepts that every 5 year old can grasp is annoying to me. And the way he treated Natalie, even for a mental patient, was unforgivable. He used her as a pack mule and cheated her out of money every chance he got. This idea of 'pretending' that he 'doesn't understand' how to carry packages or how to carry money was over the top for me. This was very convenient for him. Odd how his 'disability' disappeared every time he was required to pay money. Then suddenly, he turned into a common bum scammer. Oh I'm sorry...money? I don't have any money...

I've dealt with real people like that all my life. They fake stupidity with the specific intent of avoiding any kind of work or responsibility. Many times it is all a scam.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online berdie

« Reply #417 on: April 11, 2021, 04:32:37 pm »

The thing I notice about binge watching is that certain recurring themes of shows originally airing over several years are repetitive and annoying when viewed back to back. Monk is one of those shows. Law and Order SUV is another. Eventually I want to shout "Elliott take a chill pill! Olivia get over the constant angst over your past!"

But I still enjoy both shows. happy77

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #418 on: April 11, 2021, 05:01:22 pm »

The thing I notice about binge watching is that certain recurring themes of shows originally airing over several years are repetitive and annoying when viewed back to back. Monk is one of those shows. Law and Order SUV is another. Eventually I want to shout "Elliott take a chill pill! Olivia get over the constant angst over your past!"

But I still enjoy both shows. happy77
Exactly right. That's exactly it.
Watching Monk once in a while over the last 10 years, which I have done, it comes across as a cute innocent detective show about a mentally disabled dysfunctional genius. But when you watch the whole series back to back, the character Monk is really a jerk, who is intentionally using his "self created disability" to dodge employment, financial, and personal, responsibilities and to dodge life itself.

If the character did not have his written supernatural gift of observation, he would be in a mental institution somewhere bouncing off the walls. The people around him "tolerate" him only because they benefit from him. Without his 'gifts', they would chuck him in the nearest lake for being a crazy weirdo.

Online berdie

« Reply #419 on: April 11, 2021, 05:33:52 pm »
I agree @240B . Monk has as many or more annoying personality quirks than Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. Nobody would tolerate a close relationship with either. But both are amusing when viewed in television mode.

At least Monk hires his close associates for the most part...even if he "forgets" to pay them, lol.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #420 on: April 11, 2021, 06:53:44 pm »
Just clicked on CONDOR...on Epix Network.

A brilliant, young, idealistic CIA analyst finds himself in the middle of a conspiracy that kills everyone else at his office. Can he, with no field experience, stay alive long enough to get to the bottom of it?

Excellent!
We faithfully watched this during its initial run, and loved it. There was supposed to be a second season. Not sure what happened.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

BassWrangler

« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2021, 05:45:15 pm »
I saw this Australian film last night - Rams. You might like it. Free if you have Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/Rams-Sam-Neill/dp/B08SWCRJLC/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Rams&qid=1619458973&sr=8-2

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2021, 07:17:22 pm »
@BassWrangler 

Subject: Rams Movie

So far so good, gotta go out and change a radiator on my truck... but 1/3rd in and liking it, thanks... Anyone else not got Amazon prime pm me, I will shoot ya a link to d.l. it.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online berdie

« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2021, 10:10:41 pm »
Last night I watched a movie called "Remember". Christopher Plummer made in 2015 (?). A little slow moving but an interesting study about dementia and the hunt for Nazis.

If anyone else has seen it I would enjoy some feedback.

BassWrangler

« Reply #424 on: April 26, 2021, 10:16:53 pm »
Last night I watched a movie called "Remember". Christopher Plummer made in 2015 (?). A little slow moving but an interesting study about dementia and the hunt for Nazis.

If anyone else has seen it I would enjoy some feedback.

I saw it some time ago. It was OK.