Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 128062 times)

BassWrangler

Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2021, 10:13:12 pm »
Just watched "The Last Blockbuster" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Up-beat movie that was well done. Makes me want to hop in the car and drive down to Bend just to visit the store.

BassWrangler

« Reply #276 on: March 09, 2021, 03:26:29 am »
@sneakypete

Got another suggestion on HBOMAX: The Outsider.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #277 on: March 09, 2021, 04:29:43 am »
@sneakypete

Got another suggestion on HBOMAX: The Outsider.

@BassWrangler

Ok,so tell us all about it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

BassWrangler

« Reply #278 on: March 09, 2021, 04:45:44 am »
@BassWrangler

Ok,so tell us all about it.

@sneakypete

It's based on a Stephen King book. I don't like his politics, but he does write some entertaining books. It starts out like a murder mystery, but quickly takes a turn towards the supernatural.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #279 on: March 09, 2021, 08:21:38 am »
@sneakypete

It's based on a Stephen King book. I don't like his politics, but he does write some entertaining books. It starts out like a murder mystery, but quickly takes a turn towards the supernatural.

@BassWrangler

Ok,thanks. This tells me that *I* don't want to read because I just can't get into the supernatural.

Other than politics that is,and I am just about burnt-out on that.

BassWrangler

« Reply #280 on: March 09, 2021, 03:32:09 pm »
@BassWrangler

Ok,thanks. This tells me that *I* don't want to read because I just can't get into the supernatural.

Other than politics that is,and I am just about burnt-out on that.

@sneakypete

It's supernatural not in the sense of ghosts or divine beings, but rather a monster that preys on humans.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #281 on: March 09, 2021, 04:04:53 pm »
@sneakypete

It's supernatural not in the sense of ghosts or divine beings, but rather a monster that preys on humans.

@BassWrangler

Ok,thanks! I am not sure I understand the difference,but I will give it a look.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2021, 11:17:53 pm »
The only things I'll watch on tv are Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.
And with Alex Trebek gone, Jeopardy isn't the same.

I didn't watch the shows with Ken Jennings much, but I thought the fellow who was on last week (the executive producer of the show, is it Mike Richards?) was actually quite good.

This week it's Katie Couric, somehow I'm just not that interested.

When I have free time in the evenings, I'll watch old episodes of "Death Valley Days". I started with Season 1, episode 1 some time back, and have been watching them in order since.

Also have the original Star Trek series. Looks great on the remastered video, better than it ever looked on tv.

BassWrangler

« Reply #283 on: March 09, 2021, 11:36:26 pm »
The only things I'll watch on tv are Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune.
And with Alex Trebek gone, Jeopardy isn't the same.

I didn't watch the shows with Ken Jennings much, but I thought the fellow who was on last week (the executive producer of the show, is it Mike Richards?) was actually quite good.

This week it's Katie Couric, somehow I'm just not that interested.

When I have free time in the evenings, I'll watch old episodes of "Death Valley Days". I started with Season 1, episode 1 some time back, and have been watching them in order since.

Also have the original Star Trek series. Looks great on the remastered video, better than it ever looked on tv.

I watched all the Star Treks when I still had Netflix. Still a great series, even by today's standards. Sure, the special effects weren't as good, but the show had a great cast, enjoyable plots, and wasn't stuff to the gills with woke virtue-signalling.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #284 on: March 10, 2021, 10:55:06 am »
I watched all the Star Treks when I still had Netflix. Still a great series, even by today's standards. Sure, the special effects weren't as good, but the show had a great cast, enjoyable plots, and wasn't stuff to the gills with woke virtue-signalling.
It sorta was, just not compared to today. The multi-ethnic crew was a big step for the day.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

« Reply #285 on: March 10, 2021, 04:06:53 pm »
It sorta was, just not compared to today. The multi-ethnic crew was a big step for the day.

I never had a problem with racial integration or treating people based on their character and abilities regardless of their skin color. "Woke" today means just the opposite.

BassWrangler

« Reply #286 on: March 10, 2021, 04:11:00 pm »
Ok, @sneakypete - got another potential show for you. I've only seen two episodes, so not quite ready to recommend it yet. But the premise is interesting.

The show is called Counterpart. The storyline is that during the cold war, some scientists did something that caused our universe to split into a parallel universe, and there is a tunnel that allows people to travel between the two. At the moment the new universe was created, the two were identical, but since then they have been diverging. So you may have a counterpart in the other universe - someone who shares the same past as you (from before the split) but whose life is different in small or large part since the split.

Here is the link on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B077MVJ553/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

Offline verga

« Reply #287 on: March 10, 2021, 04:53:49 pm »
Ok, @sneakypete - got another potential show for you. I've only seen two episodes, so not quite ready to recommend it yet. But the premise is interesting.

The show is called Counterpart. The storyline is that during the cold war, some scientists did something that caused our universe to split into a parallel universe, and there is a tunnel that allows people to travel between the two. At the moment the new universe was created, the two were identical, but since then they have been diverging. So you may have a counterpart in the other universe - someone who shares the same past as you (from before the split) but whose life is different in small or large part since the split.

Added to my Watchlist.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #288 on: March 10, 2021, 04:58:11 pm »
I never had a problem with racial integration or treating people based on their character and abilities regardless of their skin color. "Woke" today means just the opposite.

@BassWrangler

Truth to tell,I'm not so sure that was much of a revelation to most people,even back then. I was a very young teen when the first episodes were aired,and noticed they had Asian and Blacks on the Enterprise,but honestly can't remember thinking anything about it one way or the other.

Somehow or another,my mother even had a black woman friend that would come visit with us occasionally. I never thought anything about it,and if the neighbors did (we were living in a city then),none of them ever said anything about it to me,or treated us any different because of it.

Since it was this way for me,a nothing special kid living in a nothing special neighborhood in the south,I figured it was normal for everyone else,too.

Yeah,I was wrong about that for some people,but it was all I knew at the time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #289 on: March 10, 2021, 05:00:01 pm »

@BassWrangler

Thanks,that sounds right up my alley!

BassWrangler

« Reply #290 on: March 10, 2021, 06:01:20 pm »
@BassWrangler

Truth to tell,I'm not so sure that was much of a revelation to most people,even back then. I was a very young teen when the first episodes were aired,and noticed they had Asian and Blacks on the Enterprise,but honestly can't remember thinking anything about it one way or the other.

Somehow or another,my mother even had a black woman friend that would come visit with us occasionally. I never thought anything about it,and if the neighbors did (we were living in a city then),none of them ever said anything about it to me,or treated us any different because of it.

Since it was this way for me,a nothing special kid living in a nothing special neighborhood in the south,I figured it was normal for everyone else,too.

Yeah,I was wrong about that for some people,but it was all I knew at the time.

I had a similar experience, and I also grew up in the South (from about age 8 up). I have seen and even experienced myself some bigotry over the years, but I dismissed those people as dumbasses and moved on.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #291 on: March 10, 2021, 06:27:00 pm »
I had a similar experience, and I also grew up in the South (from about age 8 up). I have seen and even experienced myself some bigotry over the years, but I dismissed those people as dumbasses and moved on.

@BassWrangler

Yup,right on both counts.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2021, 08:40:13 am »
I grew up in the 50/60s south of the Mason Dixon Line in an area that was about half black. I never had any problems, either, because I knew good and bad people of all walks of life and colors, and often worked alongside and played with them as I had from my childhood. It wasn't until the agitators from DC came down and started friction that I even noticed much that the differences were there, as 'black and white' had just been descriptors like tall and short or thin and fat to us. That part of Martin Luther King's famous speech resonated with me, "judged on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin", yet now, the vary saint of the Civil Rights movement is forgotten in the inherent racism necessary to continue to blame people for culturally rooted problems exacerbated by poor policy, policy demanded by spokespersons for the movement.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2021, 11:04:56 am »
I grew up in the 50/60s south of the Mason Dixon Line in an area that was about half black. I never had any problems, either, because I knew good and bad people of all walks of life and colors, and often worked alongside and played with them as I had from my childhood. It wasn't until the agitators from DC came down and started friction that I even noticed much that the differences were there, as 'black and white' had just been descriptors like tall and short or thin and fat to us. That part of Martin Luther King's famous speech resonated with me, "judged on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin", yet now, the vary saint of the Civil Rights movement is forgotten in the inherent racism necessary to continue to blame people for culturally rooted problems exacerbated by poor policy, policy demanded by spokespersons for the movement.

@Smokin Joe

Well said!

The sound you are hearing in the background is applause.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2021, 12:19:30 pm »

And don’t forget William Shatner had the first interracial kiss ever shown on TV. Nichelle Nichols was also a trailblazer. Yes, some of the Star Trek captains kiss a few aliens, but we know they’re not real aliens.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2021, 01:48:17 pm »
After reading a post about something called "Outsider", I went to "MY LIST" on my Netflix account and sure enough ...title was there.

It's about an American...a former Captain in the U.S. Army who found himself in a Japanese prison and instinctively saves a 'Yakuza'...a gang member who had been strung up in the shower stall.

He becomes a Yakuza himself.

Thought it was very good, but I'm afraid it may not be the "cup of tea" to some of the ladies on the forum.

Violence...gore...language and almost forgot....SMOKING!!!   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2021, 01:51:29 pm »
And don’t forget William Shatner had the first interracial kiss ever shown on TV. Nichelle Nichols was also a trailblazer. Yes, some of the Star Trek captains kiss a few aliens, but we know they’re not real aliens.

Right. Real aliens don't have lips.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2021, 02:12:45 pm »
Right. Real aliens don't have lips.

@bigheadfred

That wouldn't keep the Dims from kissing their asses.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2021, 02:27:29 pm »

My friends and neighbors out here in the late 60's used to tell people that if they wanted to see all that White/Colored crap they needed to go to town because out here there had always been only one dipper in the water bucket at the end of the row.  And that was true.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2021, 11:39:06 pm »
Joe wrote:
"I grew up in the 50/60s south of the Mason Dixon Line in an area that was about half black. I never had any problems, either, because I knew good and bad people of all walks of life and colors, and often worked alongside and played with them as I had from my childhood. It wasn't until the agitators from DC came down and started friction that I even noticed much that the differences were there, as 'black and white' had just been descriptors like tall and short or thin and fat to us."

I realize that neither you nor anyone else in the forum will agree with me, but the reason you were able to live that way -- in relatively close proximity to blacks yet still maintain "a peace" -- was because of that much-maligned policy called "Jim Crow".

It provided a "structure" by which the races could exist near each other without too much clashing or friction.

It was only once this system was forcibly dismantled by Northerners that racial friction began to increase.

Of course, I had no problems with J.C. when I lived down south (1960/61), but then again, I'm of Euro ancestry.

BTW, I also believe that the event which led to the destruction of South Africa was the dismemberment of Apartheid. They should have kept it, and told the rest of the world to mind its own business...