Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 127410 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What are you watching now?
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:41:31 pm »
The "what are you listening to now" board has been very popular here for a long time now,so now that all/most of us are just sitting around our homes,I figured it was time to start a "What are you WATCHING now?" board to tip people off to interesting tv shows,movies,or series they can watch to help break the boredom.

I suggest that if possible we all include where it can be viewed,the cost,if any,and a brief description of what it is about?

@mystery-ak   Myst,if you think this is a good idea,PLEASE feel free to make it an official board subject.

I am going to start off with "The Wire". IMNSHO,this is one of the best crime dramas ever produced. It is based in Boston,and is about the criminals and the police department there. I can't recall ever seeing a series with better writing or acting anywhere at any time. It just draws you in.

I give it 5 stars out of 5.

It is free if you have Amazon Prime,and is available elsewhere for various fees. Maybe even free if you are a subscriber,but other than Amazon I don't know what they are named.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:34:37 pm »
Here ya go @sneakypete
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:40:13 pm »
Cool idea
Vergette and I are currently watching " The Deputy" The Sheriff of LA county dies and there is an obscure law that says if he dies in office the longest serving member of his mounted posse must take his place. (Hulu)
We are also watching  Lone Star 911. A captain that developed cancer from asbestos exposure during 9/11 moves with his gay son to Austin Texas to rebuild a fire company that had all but one of it's members killed in an oil refinery fire. Very liberal slant but good stories.
Finally we are watching "Being Erica" This mid thirty woman is give the opportunity to relive very various episodes of her life and make changes to it. It takes place in Toronto. it is also on Hulu and was on for about 3 seasons 6-7 years ago.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:47:33 pm »
Here ya go @sneakypete

@mystery-ak

Thanks!

Does that mean this is now a "hot topic" with it's own little "red box" so everyone can see it?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:32 pm »
Another one is "MI-5",a fictional (?) account of life and missions inside Britain's version of the CIA.

NOBODY does this stuff better than the Brits. NOBODY! They pick the best actors they can find to play a role irregardless of their level of attraction,and this goes from the stars to the bit players that only pop up occasionally.

Not only that,but just like in real life,ANYBODY can die or get killed at any time. Just because someone is a major player doesn't mean they are bulletproof.

Also,no 115 lb super models doing ballet moves while pretending it is karate,and kicking the asses of a dozen bad guys without getting her hair mussed.

This does NOT mean there are no attractive cast members. There are. They just ain;t any safer than any other actor.

It's so good I bought the entire series on DVD after watching season 1 because I just couldn't wait for Season 2 to start airing.

You can now watch all seasons on Netflix for free if you are a subscriber.  THIS IS NOT TRUE. The MI-5 on netflix is a VERY good movie about MI-5,but it is NOT the series.

To view the series you need to go to Brit Box.

My apologies for misleading you.

REALLY good stuff,with acting and plots that don't insult your intelligence.

Once again,5 stars out of 5
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:31:07 pm by sneakypete »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 06:34:46 pm »
@mystery-ak

Thanks!

Does that mean this is now a "hot topic" with it's own little "red box" so everyone can see it?

yep
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
@sneakypete

Wasn't The Wire filmed in Baltimore, Maryland?   :shrug:     (great show)

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:43:32 pm »
@sneakypete

Wasn't The Wire filmed in Baltimore, Maryland?   :shrug:     (great show)
[/quote

@DCPatriot

Yup!

And I have no doubt some of the extras were genuine thugs.

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 06:46:41 pm »
   I'm watching my ol lady bippity bop around the house clad only in a T Shirt and panties, such a beautiful sight to behold.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mortarman

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 03:11:24 am »
   I'm watching my ol lady bippity bop around the house clad only in a T Shirt and panties, such a beautiful sight to behold.

I can unnerstan that. I once had an ol' lady who often did that in considerably less. Sometimes with her girl friends.

The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 03:47:59 am »
I can unnerstan that. I once had an ol' lady who often did that in considerably less. Sometimes with her girl friends.

@mortarman 

And you let her and her girlfriends get away?

WTH were you thinking?

Offline mortarman

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 09:28:06 am »
@mortarman 

And you let her and her girlfriends get away?

WTH were you thinking?

Turns out she wasn't puttin' up with my crap. You know. She got to naggin' an' such. What really put an end to it was when she couldn't unnerstan the idea of solutions. She was naggin' an' naggin' about me leaving the toilet seat up. So I thought I'd solve the problem by superglueing the seat down. You would think that she would thank me, butt noooooo. She started making disparaging remarks about my "marksmanship". I'll have you know that I am a crack-po-er-shot. Do you realize how hard it is to hit your target at 2:30 in the morning. An' all while standing on a unsteady platform.  Plus the distraction of pantyhose an' over the shoulder boulder holders hanging from the shower rod. Plus that little dish of those flower shaped soap. It's amazing that I got the target 63% of the time under the circumstances.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 07:23:40 pm »
Turns out she wasn't puttin' up with my crap. You know. She got to naggin' an' such. What really put an end to it was when she couldn't unnerstan the idea of solutions. She was naggin' an' naggin' about me leaving the toilet seat up.

@mortarman @mystery-ak  @verga  @DCPatriot @corbe

I always "solved" that problem by pointing out that "I" could remember to put the seat up,"THEY" could damn sure remember to put it down.

I have noticed that most women don't seem to be big fans of logic.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 07:57:57 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 07:56:06 pm »
@mystery-ak @verga @DCPatriot @corbe

UPDATE on MI-5!

Someone edited my post to say MI-5 is no longer available for free on the site I wrote it did,do I did a search on my ROKU and discovered the first 5 seasons are ALMOST free on Brit Box if you can stream video.

Brit Box costs me $7.46 per month,but if you want they have a trial period where you can watch it for free,so you could easily watch all 7 seasons before your trial expires.

There is,of course,a LOT of other stuff on Brit Box that you would probably want to watch too,so be aware!

I will search a few other sites to see if it is available on any free sites,and post them here if I find them.

It shows up periodically on PBS stations,but they are all local,so the station that is local to me might show it and the one local to you isn't showing it. You have to check for yourself.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:01:22 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »
I went to IMDb (international move database) and saw that even though no movies were actually showing in movie theaters some were still ranked.  One movie (THE PAINTED BIRD) caught my eye as beyond the regular popcorn movie variety.... It was a movie supposeable about a Jewish kid (movie did not id him as actually Jewish) that finds his way during and after WW2. I decided to give it a try since it was ranked highly....

Let me just say, this movie was HORRIBLE... Just awful. I made it a little over half way and then just started skipping to confirm my suspicions that it only got worse. You have to be one of those people that just likes to subject yourself to punishment to keep watching it. The plot was so weak and rambling you didn't care to follow, the subject matter was all over the place and always followed the pattern of from bad to worse (with one exception thrown in the middle). The kid (main character) said little and you didn't really find yourself caring for him or not. It is like the director wanted to just prode how much crap he could force you to watch.... From forced sex scenes on a minor to bestiality. Just how much before a reasonable person decides this isn't art, this is just seeing how much junk you can make up under the guise of "Jewish folks were treated horrible in the war"....

We have great movies like Schindler's List and The Pianist that are great films even though they show the horrors of war... This movie filmed in Black and White was nowhere close to be the work of art those movies were....

I give the film "The Painted Bird" an F rating.... a waste of 3 hours of your time.

Trailer on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRDuc3IdOn8
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:53:40 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2020, 04:40:08 am »
I went to IMDb (international move database) and saw that even though no movies were actually showing in movie theaters some were still ranked.  One movie (THE PAINTED BIRD) caught my eye as beyond the regular popcorn movie variety.... It was a movie supposeable about a Jewish kid (movie did not id him as actually Jewish) that finds his way during and after WW2. I decided to give it a try since it was ranked highly....

Let me just say, this movie was HORRIBLE... Just awful. I made it a little over half way and then just started skipping to confirm my suspicions that it only got worse. You have to be one of those people that just likes to subject yourself to punishment to keep watching it. The plot was so weak and rambling you didn't care to follow, the subject matter was all over the place and always followed the pattern of from bad to worse (with one exception thrown in the middle). The kid (main character) said little and you didn't really find yourself caring for him or not. It is like the director wanted to just prode how much crap he could force you to watch.... From forced sex scenes on a minor to bestiality. Just how much before a reasonable person decides this isn't art, this is just seeing how much junk you can make up under the guise of "Jewish folks were treated horrible in the war"....

@Sighlass

I think we can all guess who the target audience was.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Whose Line Is it,Anyway?
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 04:44:33 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whose_Line_Is_It_Anyway%3F_(American_TV_series)

Hilarious skit comedy show. Originally hosted by Drew Carey,but hosted by Aisha Tyler and playing on the CW network. Regulars are  Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, and Wayne Brady,but they always have guest stand-up comedians come in to help out.

Half-hour shows that always leave me laughing. I recommend it.

Offline verga

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 12:58:09 pm »
Just started with "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix. Halfway through the first season, so far it is pretty good. Kind of X-Men meet Dirty Harry and a little Ghost busters.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 10:18:09 am »

Hilarious skit comedy show. Originally hosted by Drew Carey,but hosted by Aisha Tyler and playing on the CW network. Regulars are  Ryan Stiles, Colin Mochrie, and Wayne Brady,but they always have guest stand-up comedians come in to help out.

Those guys are ridiculously talented.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 08:41:34 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 09:11:55 pm »
Since I have Comcast, I’ve been watching law and order on peacock.

Before that it was the show about Indian arranged marriages on Netflix
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 12:15:42 am »
I'm hoping to watch "Love on the Spectrum" some time soon.

It's a Netflix series from Australia about those on the autism spectrum and dating. I don't have a Netflix account, but I'm thinking about either a free trial or borrowing some TV time from one of my siblings.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2020, 12:16:58 am »

That show's been in production for 20 years (30 if you count the UK years) with mostly the same cast and it's still funny. That's an extremely rare feat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2020, 12:25:56 am »
@mortarman @mystery-ak  @verga  @DCPatriot @corbe

I always "solved" that problem by pointing out that "I" could remember to put the seat up,"THEY" could damn sure remember to put it down.

I have noticed that most women don't seem to be big fans of logic.

Actually the habit of seat AND lid always down seems to work. Also -- seat and lid down before you flush otherwise gross germs spray into the air. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 04:05:28 am »
I'm hoping to watch "Love on the Spectrum" some time soon.

It's a Netflix series from Australia about those on the autism spectrum and dating. I don't have a Netflix account, but I'm thinking about either a free trial or borrowing some TV time from one of my siblings.

@jmyrlefuller

Sounds interesting. Speaking as someone who is autistic myself,dating/marriage can be a challenge.

BTW,watching it now/.

UPDATE!  It is on Netflix. Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier. It's a lot easier to watch if you can find it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:32:10 am by sneakypete »