Author Topic: What are you watching now?  (Read 127916 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: What are you watching now?
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2020, 03:59:36 pm »
Pluto just added the Mission Impossible channel to its lineup. A return to the good old days of the Cold War and the Soviet Menace.

Last year, I was conversing with a much younger coworker about Mission Impossible. When I mentioned that I watched MI on TV every week during my youth, he replied incredulously, "they had a TV series?"  lol

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2020, 04:28:08 pm »
I just love the "Old Stuff".  I have all 7 seasons of MI. I'm going thru Gunsmoke right now. I'm mostly thru season 17 now. I think I'll go thru Have Gun Will Travel next. I'm currently watching "Call Northside 777"(1948) and "13 Rue Madeleine"(1947) will be next.

Offline verga

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2020, 09:02:02 pm »
Pluto just added the Mission Impossible channel to its lineup. A return to the good old days of the Cold War and the Soviet Menace.

Last year, I was conversing with a much younger coworker about Mission Impossible. When I mentioned that I watched MI on TV every week during my youth, he replied incredulously, "they had a TV series?"  lol
Been watching it occasionally on Amazon Prime. I love when the SHTF, and they have to scurry to make things right.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:07 pm »
I just love the "Old Stuff".  I have all 7 seasons of MI. I'm going thru Gunsmoke right now. I'm mostly thru season 17 now. I think I'll go thru Have Gun Will Travel next. I'm currently watching "Call Northside 777"(1948) and "13 Rue Madeleine"(1947) will be next.
YouTube has of the episodes of HGWT except one. I have been sneaking those when the wife is doing homework.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2020, 10:59:47 pm »
Actually stumbled onto "BLACKLIST" on Netflix, starring James Spader.

He plays an global criminal brokering relationships among criminals and politicians, having connections second to none.

The writing on this series is phenomenal.  It will definitely hook you. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Pilot scene, Season 1, Episode 1 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2020, 12:29:21 am »
"Have Gun Will Travel"

Best western of them all.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2020, 12:36:24 am »
"Have Gun Will Travel"

That was my Dad's favorite and I really like it too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2020, 01:12:43 am »

He plays an global criminal brokering relationships among criminals and politicians, having connections second to none.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@DCPatriot

Very good and very complex program. The new season will be starting soon. It is broadcast on NBC.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:37 am »
"Have Gun Will Travel"

@goatprairie

Not even close.

Give "Deadwood" and  especially "Lonesome Dove" a look.

Lonesome Dove is something special,regardless of category.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2020, 01:27:58 am »
@DCPatriot

Very good and very complex program. The new season will be starting soon. It is broadcast on NBC.

Yeah...22 episodes per season  8 seasons, and I've just reached #10 in Season 1.

Geez...I remember James Spader when he was just a 'kid' in Stargate.   We're getting old, @sneakypete   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2020, 02:15:41 am »
I also liked "A Man Called Horse" and its 2 sequels. 

Offline verga

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2020, 03:40:03 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Been watching it since the beginning. It only gets better. Some episodes of season 3 are a little iffy, But great writing and acting.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2020, 10:58:43 pm »
Over the weekend, I watched the two-part version of "We The Living" (Ayn Rand's first novel), produced in Italy in 1942. Good and true to the novel (Rand had a say in re-editing it, removing some pro-facist snippets).

It's available "on the net" if you know where to look...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2020, 11:37:00 pm »
Yeah...22 episodes per season  8 seasons, and I've just reached #10 in Season 1.

Geez...I remember James Spader when he was just a 'kid' in Stargate.   We're getting old, @sneakypete   :laugh:

@DCPatriot

What's this "we" stuff,white man?

BTW,give "Lonesome Dove" a watch. Seriously. Maybe the best thing I have ever seen aired on broadcast tv.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:38:42 pm by sneakypete »

Online rustynail

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2020, 11:41:14 pm »
The Great Reset.  Live and in color.

And season 4 of Better Call Saul on DVD.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:03:38 am by rustynail »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2020, 11:41:38 pm »
@DCPatriot

BTW,give "Lonesome Dove" a watch. Seriously. Maybe the best thing I have ever seen aired on broadcast tv.

I make it a point to watch Lonesome Dove at least once a year.  McMurty does a heck of a lot implying life's lessons in his work, and does it masterfully.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2020, 11:57:41 pm »
@DCPatriot

@sneakypete

LOL!  Not only do I have Lonesome Dove DVD'rd already, I've watched it at least 3 times over the years.

...even Return to Lonesome Dove was pretty good.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2020, 11:58:24 pm »
I make it a point to watch Lonesome Dove at least once a year.  McMurty does a heck of a lot implying life's lessons in his work, and does it masterfully.

Agreed!   :beer:      :2popcorn:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2020, 01:05:11 am »

@catfish1957

And the acting and scenery are perfection. It just draws you in and almost makes you think you there.

Of course,I think "Deadwood" was even better,but given that Lonesome Dove was handicapped by first being aired on broadcast tv. Level the playing field by allowing the characters and scenes in Lonesome Dove to be more accurately portrayed,and Lonesome Dove would even blow Deadwood out of the water.

Let's face it,there are not many characters in Deadwood you would want to be friends with. happy77

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2020, 01:07:41 am »
@sneakypete

LOL!  Not only do I have Lonesome Dove DVD'rd already, I've watched it at least 3 times over the years.

@DCPatriot  I am so hooked on it I would probably pay to see out takes at this point. Long series THAT historically accurate,written,and acted just don't come around very often.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2020, 01:25:00 am »
@sneakypete

@DCPatriot  I am so hooked on it I would probably pay to see out takes at this point. Long series THAT historically accurate,written,and acted just don't come around very often.

Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall together in a Western genre...doesn't get any better than that.  Especially Duvall!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2020, 01:37:20 am »
@goatprairie

Not even close.

Give "Deadwood" and  especially "Lonesome Dove" a look.

Lonesome Dove is something special,regardless of category.

I have had many opportunities to watch "Lonesome Dove" over the years and still haven't watched it in it's entirety. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2020, 01:53:05 am »

Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall together in a Western genre...doesn't get any better than that.  Especially Duval.

@DCPatriot

In my opinion,that was the role of Duval's career. He was born to play it.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2020, 01:59:21 am »

Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall together in a Western genre...doesn't get any better than that.  Especially Duval.

@DCPatriot

In my opinion,that was the role of Duval's career. He was born to play it.

He was the same type in OPEN RANGE, also.  Great actor! 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2020, 03:34:02 am »
@catfish1957

And the acting and scenery are perfection. It just draws you in and almost makes you think you there.

Of course,I think "Deadwood" was even better,but given that Lonesome Dove was handicapped by first being aired on broadcast tv. Level the playing field by allowing the characters and scenes in Lonesome Dove to be more accurately portrayed,and Lonesome Dove would even blow Deadwood out of the water.

Let's face it,there are not many characters in Deadwood you would want to be friends with. happy77

I know both of us are huge Deadwood fans, but I also wondered if the language was AS SALTY, as portrayed.  Yeah, I knew there were hookers, and outlaws, card cheats, etc.  but I always wondered if there was probably a tad more decorum than how they showed it.   I base that on the many many pages of newspapers that i have read doing genealogy.  I have seen articles, where the writers/editors stated that subjects resorted to profanity.  So maybe it wasn't as commonplace as we think.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.