Author Topic: “You People” (Netflix) Normalizes Farrakhan’s Views On Jews  (Read 479 times)

Online mountaineer

“You People” Normalizes Farrakhan’s Views On Jews
Allison Josephs
 January 30, 2023
The following movie review began with angry texts I sent to friends and colleagues yesterday, as I was watching You People, the number one movie now streaming on Netflix. It premiered on Holocaust Remembrance Day, and I’ve got to hand it to them on the timing: nothing says #neveragain like #rightnow.

There are numerous spoilers below, but when a movie starts out so rotten, it is impossible to ruin it. If I had to sum up the most basic problem with You People, it wouldn’t be the abundant Holocaust jokes, like Ezra buying a small diamond for his fiancé, and deciding that he’ll lie that it’s his grandmother’s “from the Holocaust.” You know, “the Holocaust” – the get out of jail free card for every Jew.

It’s also not that the Jewish parents in the film are played by actors whose families used to be Jewish, generations ago, but then assimilated into extinction. No, the main issue with You People is that everyone in the film loves Black culture and no one in the film loves Jewish culture. In fact, they hate it.

In an age of celebrating marginalized identities, how could it be that that one identity would be lauded while the other would be highlighted for its guilt (Ezra’s grandmother in the opening Yom Kippur synagogue scene (incorrectly) tells him that he can’t be buried in a Jewish cemetery due to his tattoos), its shame (Ezra refuses to wear a yarmulke during Yom Kippur services after his mother asks him to), its sexual violations (after services, Ezra’s orthodontist offers to examine his genitals, other members of the synagogue say sexually inappropriate things), its big-nosed Jews (both of the Jewish women Ezra dates have prominent noses), and its money-loving Jews (in his first date with a Jewish girl, she comments how exciting it must be that he gets to work with so much MONEY everyday!)?

Because in You People, Jews are not considered a marginalized group. Instead, they are white, rich, privileged and responsible for the suffering of marginalized people in the world. And the way they get to this reality is by continuously lying and misrepresenting the Jewish past and present. So let’s jump right into the lies and misrepresentations. ...
Jew in the City

Big surprise, given Obama's involvement in Netflix.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Re: “You People” (Netflix) Normalizes Farrakhan’s Views On Jews
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 03:02:16 pm »
That's pretty bad, even by Netflix standards.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 03:29:13 pm »
I've had Netflix for probably close to 14 years.  Back then, though the catalog was less extensive, you were treated to at least one or two 1st run movie that typically coincided with release on DVD.  Was well worth the service, and IMO at the time a bargain.

This streaming service has turned into a pile of steaming woke shit now. And worthless foreign additions.   There are days that I have to talk myself of turning the garbage off.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 09:45:48 pm »
In Jonah Hill’s offensive new movie, a Black-Jewish love story comes with a side of conspiracy theories
The rom-com copies ‘Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,’ but it’s way more pessimistic
 By Mira Fox
 January 26, 2023
Are Jews white? It’s a question that has dominated conversations since the Black Lives Matters protests of 2020. Jews often present as white, and hold economic privilege, yet the recent uptick of antisemitic incidents, whether Kanye West’s months-long outburst or attacks on Hasidic Jews on Brooklyn streets, shows that it’s not quite so simple.

You People, a new slapstick rom-com from Jonah Hill and Kenya Barris, tweaks that big conversation just a little bit. It takes as a given that Jews are white, and asks, instead, whether Jews are actually the worst kind of white people.

Drawing heavily from Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, the new movie follows an interracial couple as they try to make it work between their two families. Ezra (Hill) is a NJB who works in finance, but his real passion is the hip-hop podcast he runs with his best friend, a queer Black woman named Mo. He falls in love with Amira (Lauren London), a Black fashion designer; the two connect over their shared love of street style.

But we don’t actually see much of Ezra and Amira’s love story, which is neatly packaged into a montage early on. Instead, we’re focused on their parents. There’s Akbar, played by Eddie Murphy, Amira’s dad and a Nation of Islam convert; and Shelley, a frenetic Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Ezra’s wealthy, tactless mother.  ...

Thankfully, most of the Black characters get at least a little bit of a character development. Meanwhile, the movie’s Jews are flat stereotypes — wealthy, neurotic, painfully uncool and often blithely racist.  ... It feels as though You People is trying to draw a clear connection between Ezra’s parents’ religion and their boorish behavior; they’re not just white, they’re even worse — they’re Jewish.  ...
Forward.com
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 09:52:56 pm »
Old School Bigots do not consider non-Germanic, non-Protestant persons as "white".

There's anti-Semitism among many persons, including some African-Americans, like Jesse Jackson.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/jackson.htm

Everyone's poop stinks.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 09:54:37 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 03:02:56 am »
Old School Bigots do not consider non-Germanic, non-Protestant persons as "white".

There's anti-Semitism among many persons, including some African-Americans, like Jesse Jackson.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/frenzy/jackson.htm

Everyone's poop stinks.
True. It’s amazing how many people believe Caucasian people who are not from Northern Europe as not being white.
Many don’t consider Mediterranean people (French, Spanish, Italian…) as being white. I
remember reading on a sports forum where some posters didn’t think HOF Manu Ginobili as being white because he was from Argentina.