Author Topic: Larry Kudlow predicts 'difficult trade-offs' ahead in coronavirus response  (Read 524 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Larry Kudlow predicts 'difficult trade-offs' ahead in coronavirus response
by Madison Dibble
 | March 23, 2020 01:23 PM

Larry Kudlow said the White House was working to determine whether it is worth shutting down the U.S. economy to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Late Sunday night, President Trump tweeted, "WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"

Kudlow, who is a top economic adviser to Trump, agreed with the president about the economic costs of stopping the disease. He told Fox News on Monday that the administration was considering reigniting the economy to prevent individual financial ruin, even if the virus was not fully contained.

"We can't shut in the economy. The economic cost to individuals is just too great," Kudlow said. "So let’s see how this thing plays out. More testing is essential. And we’re loading up with tests now. That's going to be a big help, but the president is right. The cure can’t be worse than the disease."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/larry-kudlow-predicts-difficult-trade-offs-ahead-in-coronavirus-response
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't think 15 days is long enough to make a difference.
30, 45 -- perhaps.

I'll reckon we need to reach that point where new infections begin to decline, and then see if that can be maintained for at least 2 weeks before slacking off...

(but what do I know...?)

Offline Idiot

30, 45 -- perhaps.

I'll reckon we need to reach that point where new infections begin to decline, and then see if that can be maintained for at least 2 weeks before slacking off...

(but what do I know...?)
What happens after 15?  30? 60? 90?....end of summer?  Since I have a 90 yr old mom....I'll have to be careful for months.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
30, 45 -- perhaps.

(but what do I know...?)
Sounds about right. If these social distancing measures work, fewer new cases should start coming into the system about two to three weeks afterward—factoring the time it takes from infection, through incubation, symptoms, then testing. That's the most frustrating thing about this virus: it spreads faster than we can confirm how many have it.

New York started their measures (without lockdowns) 7-10 days ago. Today was the first day I saw that new cases were flat day-to-day. Hoping to see some declines in the coming days, though they've been behind on testing so I can't count on it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DB

There is a balance somewhere in there. I don't know where it is. Not an easy choice. No matter where the line is drawn there will be massive economic damage and significant loss of life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What happens after 15?  30? 60? 90?....end of summer?  Since I have a 90 yr old mom....I'll have to be careful for months.

I hope nothing happens to your Mother. Mine died at 95 in Jan from natural causes before this shite started.  We  were careful for years, about visiting her when we obviously had colds.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

I hope nothing happens to your Mother. Mine died at 95 in Jan from natural causes before this shite started.  We  were careful for years, about visiting her when we obviously had colds.

You used common sense.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that just don't get it.  A simple thing like not going out in public when your ill so you don't infect others, parents keeping their kids at home instead of sending them to school or the day care to protect other kids, washing your hands before you eat, washing produce, washing down your counters, disinfecting door knobs, etc. Not saying every single day -- but germs happen!

A lot of these procedures are being touted as a way to fight this virus -- most of these practices we should have been doing already -- especially with it being flu season.

But it seems people are now alarmed and 'inconvenienced' that they need to cover their sneezes, or coughs, and certainly try to avoid being around sick people  or don't go out when they're sick.  Duh.  People, what happened to common sense and courtesy?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.