Author Topic: 'I’m going to keep pushing.' Anthony Fauci tries to make the White House listen to facts of the pand  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/i-m-going-keep-pushing-anthony-fauci-tries-make-white-house-listen-facts-pandemic
Q: How are you managing to not get fired?

A: Well, that's pretty interesting because to his [President Trump’s] credit, even though we disagree on some things, he listens. He goes his own way. He has his own style.  But on substantive issues, he does listen to what I say.

Q: You're standing there saying nobody should gather with more than 10 people and there are almost 10 people with you on the stage. And there are certainly more than 10 journalists in the audience.

A: I know that. I’m trying my best. I cannot do the impossible.

Q: What about the travel restrictions? President Trump keeps saying that the travel ban for China, which began 2 February, had a big impact [on slowing the spread of the virus to the United States] and that he wishes China would have told us three to four months earlier and that they were “very secretive.” [China did not immediately reveal the discovery of a new coronavirus in late December, but by 10 January, Chinese researchers made the sequence of the virus public.]  It just doesn't comport with facts.

A:  I know, but what do you want me to do? I mean, seriously Jon, let’s get real, what do you want me to do?

Q: Most everyone thinks that you’re doing a remarkable job, but you're standing there as the representative of truth and facts but things are being said that aren't true and aren't factual.

A: The way it happened is that after he made that statement [suggesting China could have revealed the discovery of a new coronavirus three to four months earlier], I told the appropriate people, it doesn't comport,  because two or three months earlier would have been September. The next time they sit down with him and talk about what he’s going to say, they will say, by the way, Mr. President, be careful about this and don't say that. But I can't jump in front of the microphone and push him down. OK, he said it. Let's try and get it corrected for the next time.

Q: You have not said China virus. [Trump frequently calls the cause of the spreading illness, known as coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)  a “China virus” or a “Chinese virus.”]

A: Ever.

Q. And you never will, will you?

A: No.

More fully-awesome sauce Dr Fauci at link.

Offline Mesaclone

Strange that you didn't mention THIS Fauci quote about Trump's early enactment of a Chinese travel ban saving many American lives.

FAUCI: Yes, I think there's no question. Yes, there's no question that if we had not done that in a timely way, there would have been many more travel-related cases from China.

And who gives a fart if the two men disagree over what they call the virus? It IS the China virus...just as the Spanish flu and German Measles are nicknamed by their places of believed origin at the time of their outbreaks...does this mean we're exhibiting racism towards the Spanish and Germans...c'mon man, get serious. You sound like some emoting CNN reporter who can't wait to play gotcha in a press briefing...with no regard to context and truth.

The summary of quotes you cherry picked from Fauci essentially say this, "Trump listens to me but also makes his own decisions based on a wide range of concerns and inputs from others".

@Once-Ler
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:17:37 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

Strange that you didn't mention THIS Fauci quote about Trump's early enactment of a Chinese travel ban saving many American lives.

FAUCI: Yes, I think there's no question. Yes, there's no question that if we had not done that in a timely way, there would have been many more travel-related cases from China.

And who gives a fart if the two men disagree over what they call the virus? It IS the China virus...just as the Spanish flu and German Measles are nicknamed by their places of believed origin at the time of their outbreaks...does this mean we're exhibiting racism towards the Spanish and Germans...c'mon man, get serious. You sound like some emoting CNN reporter who can't wait to play gotcha in a press briefing...with no regard to context and truth.

The summary of quotes you cherry picked from Fauci essentially say this, "Trump listens to me but also makes his own decisions based on a wide range of concerns and inputs from others".

@Once-Ler

Dr Fauci sounded like completely different man on Life Liberty & Levin last night - extremely complimentary of the president.

The transcripts are not yet available, unfortunately.

Offline libertybele

That's why it is important that Americans watch the press briefings every day.  Yes, it is depressing, but the media IMHO is not accurately reporting (imagine that) what is being stated at these conferences.  Even Fauci himself has corrected them as they tried to put "their" spin on what is being said. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

That's why it is important that Americans watch the press briefings every day.  Yes, it is depressing, but the media IMHO is not accurately reporting (imagine that) what is being stated at these conferences.  Even Fauci himself has corrected them as they tried to put "their" spin on what is being said.

You are correct.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2020/03/22/dr-fauci-the-media-is-trying-to-put-words-in-my-mouth-n2565463

Seems we're always running around trying to clean up messes like these.

@Once-Ler

@Mesaclone I am shocked that you would accuse me of cherry picking quotes to prop up the points I think are important rather than include the quotes that best support your opinion.  I stand ashamed of my opinion in the face of your superior condemnation.  Good job!!!

Offline Mesaclone

@Mesaclone I am shocked that you would accuse me of cherry picking quotes to prop up the points I think are important rather than include the quotes that best support your opinion.  I stand ashamed of my opinion in the face of your superior condemnation.  Good job!!!

But this isn't about "propping up" either of our positions...not for me anyway. Its about using context to paint a genuine picture of the national response...not a false premise reached via cherrypicking without regard to broader context. As mentioned above, Fauci is being VERY complimentary of the President's response...the quote I gave you was from a Hannity interview. He had many more nice things to say last night on Levin.

Fauci and the President disagree on a few points...mostly non-material stuff like what we call the virus. That's hardly surprisng and, in fact, it would be disturbing if they were in lockstep. You take that minor disagreement and try to isolate from the broad range of response issues on with Fauci and Trump are are in synch...and that's disingenuous. Perhaps you should quit trying to win an argument and focus on defining what is actually occurring in the fight against this virus.

But this isn't about "propping up" either of our positions...not for me anyway. Its about using context to paint a genuine picture of the national response...not a false premise reached via cherrypicking without regard to broader context. As mentioned above, Fauci is being VERY complimentary of the President's response...the quote I gave you was from a Hannity interview. He had many more nice things to say last night on Levin.

Fauci and the President disagree on a few points...mostly non-material stuff like what we call the virus. That's hardly surprisng and, in fact, it would be disturbing if they were in lockstep. You take that minor disagreement and try to isolate from the broad range of response issues on with Fauci and Trump are are in synch...and that's disingenuous. Perhaps you should quit trying to win an argument and focus on defining what is actually occurring in the fight against this virus.

Dr. Fauci and President Trump disagree when the President spreads self serving disinformation that is counter to reality and the facts.  I apologize for unfairly thinking you were capable of supporting your opinion without my help so here you go...Dr Fauci is praising our President and rightly so.  I also apologize that I find myself angry at having remind you that I too support our President even if it is in a way you reject.  I too have said some very nice things about our President's plan and I will support him until policy changes to something I don't support.  You may choose to accept that or not.  Thank you for your reply @Mesaclone

Offline Mesaclone

Dr. Fauci and President Trump disagree when the President spreads self serving disinformation that is counter to reality and the facts.  I apologize ftor unfairly thinking you were capable of supporting your opinion without my help so here you go...Dr Fauci is praising our President and rightly so.  I also apologize that I find myself angry at having remind you that I too support our President even if it is in a way you reject.  I too have said some very nice things about our President's plan and I will support him until policy changes to something I don't support.  You may choose to accept that or not.  Thank you for your reply @Mesaclone

I want to have a fair discussion...but its impossible when you blow ALL of your credibility with absurd statements like "the President spreads self serving disinformation that is counter to reality and the facts." He has done nothing of the sort, and nothing you quoted from Fauci supports such a ridiculous leap of reason. They disagree on a few tangential issues of the problem...like what to call the virus...and are working almost in lockstep on the key aspects of the strategy to fight the virus. Its really that simple, so I just don't know why you are going to such efforts to paint the situation as Fauci being forced to work under the oversight of a President who's difficult and overtly bullish...that is far from what Fauci or anyone else in the leadership is saying.

Offline Mesaclone

Of course. Don't you?
Yes, but maybe not with you.  I'm quarantining you for the remainder of the 15 days.  It's for me.

Offline dfwgator

Dr Fauci sounded like completely different man on Life Liberty & Levin last night - extremely complimentary of the president.

He still loves Hillary.

Offline skeeter

He still loves Hillary.

I wouldn't doubt it. I wonder, though, if he is as two faced as these disparate interviews make him seem, or is he being taken that far out of context?

Offline Mesaclone

Yes, but maybe not with you.  I'm quarantining you for the remainder of the 15 days.  It's for me.

Fair enough.

Offline dfwgator

Offline conservativevoter

So, how many people in the US have died from the CHINESE virus?  I saw some interesting stats today that show that S. Korea has a 1.2% death rate from the CHINESE virus, with the US second at 1.3% death rate.  Italy seems to have the greatest death rate, China and others not far behind.

Could it be because we pee/poop in flush toilets as opposed to toilets in public rest areas, and that we wash our hands AFTER wiping our butts? :thud:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Good idea.  Let me know how many days remain and we can accommodate you. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
This whole thing is just a way for folks like Once-ler and the democrats to keep knocking Trump, despite this perhaps being the toughest non-economic test for a President since 9/11.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Try video

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Too bad I can't believe a thing he says....

apparently Sens Cruz, Barrasso, and now Mark Levin missed the Dr. Fauccii is Hillary loving stooge, memo.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
apparently Sens Cruz, Barrasso, and now Mark Levin missed the Dr. Fauccii is Hillary loving stooge, memo.

Dr. Fauci has been canonized by the press.  It would be stupid for a Senator to point out he's as partisan as John Brennan.
I will NOT comply.

This whole thing is just a way for folks like Once-ler and the democrats to keep knocking Trump, despite this perhaps being the toughest non-economic test for a President since 9/11.
@Weird Tolkienish Figure I have fully supported President Trump in his handling of the Coronavirus since he declared it a National Emergency.

Offline Mesaclone

@Weird Tolkienish Figure I have fully supported President Trump in his handling of the Coronavirus since he declared it a National Emergency.

@Once-Ler

Nothing says "support" like"the President spreads self serving disinformation that is counter to reality and the facts." or this classic "These are the kind of breakdowns that can happen when Presidents spend all their time criticizing the other party". and the classic blame shifting to the President regarding the rancor and incivility the Dems have created via their radicalism "President Trump spent 3 years insulting and demonizing the democrats, never co-operating, and making all his accomplishments Executive Orders.  I'm not surprised democrats are reluctant to work with him now even though his tone changed last week".

That's simply repeating Dem memes and each comment was tossed out there with no supporting evidence. That's not support...that's not even rational critique. Its painting a picture based solely on propaganda from the left. And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing the president...any president...tossing disingenuous propaganda phrases at him can hardly be characterized as support.

All that said, no one here is claiming you're a bad person or even a bad conservative...but you are truly blinded by Trump hate (what others might call NeverTrumpism). You're blinders limit you to seeing only facts and statements that affirm your existing view...confirmation bias gone mad.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:28:22 pm by Mesaclone »