Author Topic: Hopes for quick coronavirus stimulus deal break down  (Read 1071 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hopes for quick coronavirus stimulus deal break down
« on: March 22, 2020, 05:36:19 pm »
Hopes for quick coronavirus stimulus deal break down
By Jordain Carney - 03/22/20 12:35 PM EDT

Hopes for a quick bipartisan deal on a massive stimulus package quickly unraveled on Sunday as lawmakers remain deadlocked on several key provisions.

A meeting between the four congressional leaders and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin failed to break the stalemate as Democrats voiced concern that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is trying to jam them with a bill they have not signed off on.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said as he left the meeting that they did not have a deal.

“We continue to talk,” he said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488883-hopes-for-quick-coronavirus-stimulus-deal-break-down
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Hopes for quick coronavirus stimulus deal break down
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:39:16 pm »
Gee ... with any luck they will confirm that the malaria drug will work very effectively against the Chinese virus before these idiots reach a deal and we won't need this stimulus package -- we certainly don't need this bipartisan b.s.!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 05:53:51 pm »
Gee ... with any luck they will confirm that the malaria drug will work very effectively against the Chinese virus before these idiots reach a deal and we won't need this stimulus package -- we certainly don't need this bipartisan b.s.!

:amen:

Independent contractors are probably the only group I worry about in the short term. Unemployment insurance should cover most of the laid off employees in the short term.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 07:00:52 pm »

Independent contractors are probably the only group I worry about in the short term. Unemployment insurance should cover most of the laid off employees in the short term.

Unemployment is the #1 priority now that they are shutting down everything.  Small business help also to companies that can't weather the temporary shut downs.  Not businesses that are likely to recover on their own.  If at all those should be discussed as we find out what the length of the virus threat will be.  Worry about the people, instead of big business that has its hands out for anything they can get.

Trump: 'I don't know' if my businesses will receive coronavirus assistance

President Donald Trump said Saturday he wasn't sure if his business would receive financial assistance as part of coronavirus relief packages being considered by Congress.
"I just don't know what the government assistance would be for what I have," Trump said at a White House briefing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-i-don-t-know-if-my-businesses-will-receive-coronavirus-assistance/ar-BB11vYR0

I am sure that these can hold up just fine for short term without breaking the bank.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 08:24:39 pm »
These are the kind of breakdowns that can happen when Presidents spend all their time criticizing the other party.  I guess we'll see who America blames more when the stock market tanks again on Monday.  Good bye retirement.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:11 pm »
These are the kind of breakdowns that can happen when Presidents spend all their time criticizing the other party.  I guess we'll see who America blames more when the stock market tanks again on Monday.  Good bye retirement.
@Once-Ler
Fixed your statement for you.

These are the kind of breakdowns that can happen when Dem Leaders and their media spend all their time fabricating impeachment garbage and criticizing the other party and our President using baseless and disingenuous accusations.  I guess we'll see who America blames more when the stock market tanks again on Monday.  Good bye retirement.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:01:04 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 09:00:49 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 09:07:43 pm »
With Rand Paul being quarantined ... who knows how many Senators will now be unaffected that can vote.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 09:08:07 pm »
@Once-Ler
Fixed your statement for you.

These are the kind of breakdowns that can happen when Dem Leaders and their media spend all their time fabricating impeachment garbage and criticizing the other party and our President using baseless and disingenuous accusations.  I guess we'll see who America blames more when the stock market tanks again on Monday.  Good bye retirement.

Do you have any idea who was the President when the Great Depression hit?  Now how about the Speaker of the House?

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 09:27:28 pm »
Do you have any idea who was the President when the Great Depression hit?  Now how about the Speaker of the House?

Your question assumes that the causation of a financial crisis matters not...a more relevant question might be who was President when WW1 and WW2 broke out...and were they subsequently re-elected. This virus IS causing a financial crisis...but that is a secondary effect...in the same way that wars initially create an economic crisis. Primarily, and more relevantly, it is an existential crisis for this nation and, as people feel their lives are personally threatened by this enemy, I think most see it in that light.

That said, your initial statement was clearly meant to assert that national division and acrimony are a function of President Trump's behavior and assertiveness...when in fact his behavior and assertiveness (and thus our electing him)...are a response to the division and acrimony coming from the far Left. 

The disease is the Left and its radicalism...Trump is the cure. Sometimes the cure may be painful and ugly, might even feel as bad as the disease at moments...but that's because it is burning out the real virus that's causing our national sickness. And, FYI, the virus I refer to is not the Coronavirus.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:31:42 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 09:52:34 pm »
The ol' Fishrrman makes another one of his completely off-the-wall predictions:

Control of the Senate in the next two weeks will depend on who gets the virus or has been shown to have been exposed to it -- and thus, is taken OUT OF the Senate.

Right now, it looks like the Pubbies may lose their voting majority. How many other Senators did Rand Paul have relatively close contact with AFTER he became infected...?

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 09:55:05 am »
Trump is the cure.

God help us.

I'm gonna reiterate my original point because I don't think I made it well.

President Trump spent 3 years insulting and demonizing the democrats, never co-operating, and making all his accomplishments Executive Orders.  I'm not surprised democrats are reluctant to work with him now even though his tone changed last week.

Thanks for your reply @Mesaclone and an opportunity to clarify my opinion

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 02:00:21 pm »
God help us.

I'm gonna reiterate my original point because I don't think I made it well.

President Trump spent 3 years insulting and demonizing the democrats, never co-operating, and making all his accomplishments Executive Orders.  I'm not surprised democrats are reluctant to work with him now even though his tone changed last week.

Thanks for your reply @Mesaclone and an opportunity to clarify my opinion

@Once-Ler

Trump responded, finally, to a decade of Democrat "demonizing, never compromising, and the use of Obama-ite Executive orders to bypass congress"...and yes, he gave them a dose of their own medicine...and somehow he's the cause of our national rancor. That's rich.

THAT was the only clarification needed. Your approach suggests Republican's response to all of these things should have continued to be submission, self-doubt and passivity. You know, the classy above-it all Bush approach. I guess that's what we're disagreeing on.

Personally, I believe its best to fight back against such tactics, even turning them on the Dems/Media who've inflicted them upon all conservatives and a wide swath of middle America. When you're getting pummelled in a street fight its time to set aside the Marquess of Kingsbury rules and actually win the fight.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:05:53 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline bilo

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 02:32:43 pm »
@Once-Ler

Trump responded, finally, to a decade of Democrat "demonizing, never compromising, and the use of Obama-ite Executive orders to bypass congress"...and yes, he gave them a dose of their own medicine...and somehow he's the cause of our national rancor. That's rich.

THAT was the only clarification needed. Your approach suggests Republican's response to all of these things should have continued to be submission, self-doubt and passivity. You know, the classy above-it all Bush approach. I guess that's what we're disagreeing on.

Personally, I believe its best to fight back against such tactics, even turning them on the Dems/Media who've inflicted them upon all conservatives and a wide swath of middle America. When you're getting pummelled in a street fight its time to set aside the Marquess of Kingsbury rules and actually win the fight.

I suppose we need to hold up trying to save the economy so the Rats can increase subsidies to Planned Parenthood.

Thank God Trump fights, no one else seems to.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 02:35:03 pm »
@Once-Ler

I wouldn't phrase it that way but I think you make your opinion clear.  I thank God that our President has decided to lead, and he accepts anyone who truly wants to help to join, and I take to heart his informed direction.  I'm sorry we disagree, because I believe you are a good man and this situation is not your fault.

I understand you think we should stop fighting the virus and fight with ourselves over important stuff, like what to call the virus.  I still disagree, but I recognize your right, as an American, to hate other Americans when they needed you most.  God Bless @Mesaclone

If that stings its an even more solid indicator that you're a good person, who wants what is best for our country.  I am sure I am right about that, because I think we are not that different from each other.

and if that stings it isn't meant to.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:37:08 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 03:09:42 pm »
I wouldn't phrase it that way but I think you make your opinion clear.  I thank God that our President has decided to lead, and he accepts anyone who truly wants to help to join, and I take to heart his informed direction.  I'm sorry we disagree, because I believe you are a good man and this situation is not your fault.

I understand you think we should stop fighting the virus and fight with ourselves over important stuff, like what to call the virus.  I still disagree, but I recognize your right, as an American, to hate other Americans when they needed you most.  God Bless @Mesaclone

If that stings its an even more solid indicator that you're a good person, who wants what is best for our country.  I am sure I am right about that, because I think we are not that different from each other.

and if that stings it isn't meant to.

Your comment doesn't sting...its more like hearing a child say "nanny, nanny boo-boo" as a taunt and thinking it has meaning. Its just an absurd, left field, statement that doesn't jive with anything I've ever said on this topic so you're not arguing with me, just with some imaginary straw man you felt you needed to establish. If you're just going to make up stuff nobody can really prevent that...or even argue with it...you might as well say up is down and left is right. I've never expressed hate for anyone...and neither has the President...so no clue what you are even referring to with such a comment.

The whole point of my posting is that we should be fighting the virus with a common front...not this silly "let's pretend the President is racist/divisive because he calls the China Virus, the China virus...or that the President doesn't care about science and didn't take this virus seriously" baloney. Ask Cuomo what he thinks of the President's support...I've been watching him give nothing but praise to the President in his daily New York briefings.

Rather than nitpicking the small imperfections in the President's Coronavirus response...and no response could ever be without fault when reviewed in hindsight, we should be lauding the incredibly strong and effective leadership he's shown throughout this event...clearly saving MANY lives with an early travel ban and pushing hard to get potential treatments pushed through the FDA (and yes, Z-packs and Chloroquine are working VERY effectively...my sister is a nurse in New Jersey and they are seeing incredible recovery rates using this mix).

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 03:40:57 pm »
Your comment doesn't sting...its more like hearing a child say "nanny, nanny boo-boo" as a taunt and thinking it has meaning. Its just an absurd, left field, statement that doesn't jive with anything I've ever said on this topic so you're not arguing with me, just with some imaginary straw man you felt you needed to establish. If you're just going to make up stuff nobody can really prevent that...or even argue with it...you might as well say up is down and left is right.

If it makes you feel better that stings.  Bravo.

The whole point of my posting is that we should be fighting the virus with a common front...
Yes, Your common front.  The problem is most people don't agree with you.  Try again.

not this silly "let's pretend the President is racist/divisive because he calls the China Virus, the China virus...or that the President doesn't care about science and didn't take this virus seriously" baloney. Ask Cuomo what he thinks of the President's support...I've been watching him give nothing but praise to the President in his daily New York briefings.

I wish you had seen some of my posts praising President Trump like this one 5 days ago http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,395099.msg2172020.html#msg2172020

A third really good press conference lasting a hour with another press conference announced for later today or tomorrow morning.  I almost hate to be critical at all, because I think these press conferences have been good for the President, the people, and the markets, but the President was as usual the weakest speaker.  He said stuff like "it's the invisible enemy, that's always the toughest enemy, the invisible enemy, but we're going to defeat the invisible enemy.  I think we are going to do it even faster than we thought. and it will be a complete victory. It will be a total victory."  On the other hand he announced invoking the defense production act.  That sounds very important, even though nobody really explained why.  His advisers were excellent.  Lots of news, statistics, policy reinforcement, and announcements.

The President consistently defended the 15 day guidelines, he consistently spoke about bipartisanship, and he shouted out to Gov Cuomo several times.  I found all of that comforting and reinforcing my unrealistic fantasy that President Trump is focused on this virus, and the panic surrounding it, to the exclusion of all else.

I missed Dr Fauci, and Mnuchin.  I'm also waiting for the introduction of the head of the Pandemic Response Office that a fellow Briefer informed me was not dissolved by President Trump in 2018.  @Mesaclone   

2 things did aggravate me.  President Trump said the virus snuck up on us, and he wastes a lot of time calling the virus "the Chinese virus" and then unconvincingly defending it as not racist.

Rather than nitpicking the small imperfections in the President's Coronavirus response...and no response could ever be without fault when reviewed in hindsight, we should be lauding the incredibly strong and effective leadership he's shown throughout this event...clearly saving MANY lives with an early travel ban and pushing hard to get potential treatments pushed through the FDA (and yes, Z-packs and Chloroquine are working VERY effectively...my sister is a nurse in New Jersey and they are seeing incredible recovery rates using this mix).

I agree that this is worthless to debate until the final death counts come it.  Lets get to work buddy @Mesaclone

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:01 pm »
Never EVER vote for a Democrat!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 03:51:33 pm »

If it makes you feel better that stings.  Bravo.
Yes, Your common front.  The problem is most people don't agree with you.  Try again.

I wish you had seen some of my posts praising President Trump like this one 5 days ago http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,395099.msg2172020.html#msg2172020

A third really good press conference lasting a hour with another press conference announced for later today or tomorrow morning.  I almost hate to be critical at all, because I think these press conferences have been good for the President, the people, and the markets, but the President was as usual the weakest speaker.  He said stuff like "it's the invisible enemy, that's always the toughest enemy, the invisible enemy, but we're going to defeat the invisible enemy.  I think we are going to do it even faster than we thought. and it will be a complete victory. It will be a total victory."  On the other hand he announced invoking the defense production act.  That sounds very important, even though nobody really explained why.  His advisers were excellent.  Lots of news, statistics, policy reinforcement, and announcements.

The President consistently defended the 15 day guidelines, he consistently spoke about bipartisanship, and he shouted out to Gov Cuomo several times.  I found all of that comforting and reinforcing my unrealistic fantasy that President Trump is focused on this virus, and the panic surrounding it, to the exclusion of all else.

I missed Dr Fauci, and Mnuchin.  I'm also waiting for the introduction of the head of the Pandemic Response Office that a fellow Briefer informed me was not dissolved by President Trump in 2018.  @Mesaclone   

2 things did aggravate me.  President Trump said the virus snuck up on us, and he wastes a lot of time calling the virus "the Chinese virus" and then unconvincingly defending it as not racist.

I agree that this is worthless to debate until the final death counts come it.  Lets get to work buddy @Mesaclone

Look, for the most part, at this point lets just agree to disagree on how the President has handled this.

One point I'm not willing to concede, however, is this absurdity about calling the virus the China Virus. I would ask you this..."Is it racist to call the Spanish Flu and German Measles by those names? Neither title is scientifically correct but simply relate to the first awareness of where they were perceived to have originated...how are they different than calling this virus the China virus? "

Personally, I like Kung Flu as a title...but I'm a Republican and so MUST be racist by definition.

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 04:00:06 pm »
Look, for the most part, at this point lets just agree to disagree on how the President has handled this.

One point I'm not willing to concede, however, is this absurdity about calling the virus the China Virus. I would ask you this..."Is it racist to call the Spanish Flu and German Measles by those names? Neither title is scientifically correct but simply relate to the first awareness of where they were perceived to have originated...how are they different than calling this virus the China virus? "

Personally, I like Kung Flu as a title...but I'm a Republican and so MUST be racist by definition.

Probably is racist and definitely unproductive...But I'm with Dr Fauci.

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 05:21:33 pm »
Never EVER vote for a Democrat!

You are so right!

How people buy into the garbage that the Rats are "for the little guy" is beyond stupid. Supporting unemployment insurance programs and getting checks out to people so they can pay their rent/mortgage, utilities and buy food is not that hard.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 06:00:33 pm »
Probably is racist and definitely unproductive...But I'm with Dr Fauci.

Then answer this...is calling Spanish flu racist? German measles?

If you're going to assert that calling this China virus is "probably" racist, how is it you can ignore these other titles for disease?

This is what I mean when I say you make a wild accusation...ignore clearly contradictory precedents...and then get upset when challenged. So, is "Spanish" flu racist or not...ditto for "German" measles?

For the record "Chinese" is not a race, its an ethnicity. A broad term, actually, for a national grouping of 50 some various ethnicities...so the term race in any context really doesn't apply.

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 06:02:50 pm »
You are so right!

How people buy into the garbage that the Rats are "for the little guy" is beyond stupid. Supporting unemployment insurance programs and getting checks out to people so they can pay their rent/mortgage, utilities and buy food is not that hard.

Plus the whole live because You get a hospital bed! and You get a hospital bed!! and You get a hospital bed.  Stop pandering to the living DNC!!!

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 06:13:07 pm »
Then answer this...is calling Spanish flu racist? German measles?

If you're going to assert that calling this China virus is "probably" racist, how is it you can ignore these other titles for disease?

Because it happened in the past like racist slavery.

This is what I mean when I say you make a wild accusation...ignore clearly contradictory precedents...and then get upset when challenged. So, is "Spanish" flu racist or not...ditto for "German" measles?
You're on a roll dude.  Doctors call it Rubella, and the 1918 flu pandemic now, old timer.

For the record "Chinese" is not a race, its an ethnicity. A broad term, actually, for a national grouping of 50 some various ethnicities...so the term race in any context really doesn't apply.
Chinese doesn't equal race.  GFY @Mesaclone
Whatever :shrug: call 'em negros if you want because we used to.  I'm tired of this dishonest sh1t.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 06:14:56 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 06:14:47 pm »
You are so right!

Hard to believe the rats are still trying to use this emergency to siphon dough their special interests groups.