Author Topic: Hospital Reports Spike In Severe Child Abuse Cases; Believe Linked To Stress From Coronavirus Pandem  (Read 368 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
DFW News 3/20/2020

North Texas Hospital Reports Spike In Severe Child Abuse Cases; Believe Linked To Stress From Coronavirus Pandemic

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Doctors at Cook Children’s Hospital say they believe the stresses from the coronavirus pandemic are linked to six cases of severe child abuse seen at the hospital just this week.

Cook Children’s says it typically sees that many such cases over the course of a month.

All of the children admitted this week were under 4 years old.

“We knew an increase in abuse was going to occur, but this happened faster than we ever imagined,” said Christi Thornhill, director of the Trauma Program, the CARE team and Fostering Health at Cook Children’s. “I mean this happened in a week and these are really bad abuse cases.”

Jamye Coffman, M.D., medical director of the Cook Children’s Center for Prevention and Child Abuse and Neglect and the CARE team, believes these unprecedented times have simply become too much for some parents.

More: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/03/20/texas-hospital-spike-severe-child-abuse-cases-coronavirus/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What I hope is no babies are aborted because this crisis stresses the parents out... that seems possible... otoh, there might be a pandemic baby boom as well, I saw that written about too.