Author Topic: Summary of Wuhan #Coronavirus Therapies and Potential Cures  (Read 990 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Summary of Wuhan #Coronavirus Therapies and Potential Cures
« on: March 20, 2020, 11:39:01 pm »
WUWT by Rud Istvan 3/20/2020

Hopeful: Summary of Wuhan #Coronavirus Therapies and Potential Cures

In the 3/19 Wuhan virus briefing with the FDA, team Trump made much of the possibilities for two therapeutic candidates, chloroquine and remdesivir. Having now done informed basic research on both, I found their stories intrinsically interesting, while enabling an early assessment of their chances of success. Hence this hopeful guest post.

Background

Wuhan coronavirus is an enveloped positive sense single strand RNA virus, meaning its core genetic RNA code is just one long chain coding directly for several proteins, surrounded first by a protective viral protein capsid coat, and then a lipid membrane ‘envelope’ from which project so called “E” (for envelope) and “S” (for spike) proteins. The S protein is what the virus uses to bind to and then invade the lung’s epithelial cells in order to hijack those cell’s reproductive machinery to make copies of itself using its RNA polymerase, itself encoded in about 2/3 of the core viral genetics. The newly assembled virions that then bud out to infect new cells also eventually kill the infected epithelial cell. Covid 19 disease is caused both by the death of those cells and the immune system’s eventual response to the infection.

The S spikes are also the reason this virus class is named corona, because the spikes make it look under SEM like the virus is wearing a crown.

Chloroquine

These are actually two closely related anti-malarials, hydroxychloroquine (the small French trial) and chloroquine phosphate (the larger Chinese trial). Both were developed in the 1950’s, and interestingly the main use now is to treat rheumatoid arthritis rather than malaria (which evolved resistance).

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/20/wuhan-coronavirus-therapies-scientific-background/

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Summary of Wuhan #Coronavirus Therapies and Potential Cures
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:52:07 pm »
As a ‘Big Pharma’ goodwill gesture, today (3/19) Bayer announced it donated 3 million 250mg chloroquine phosphate pills to the US to get started.

Remdesivir may be a longer-term therapeutic solution, because it tricks the conserved RNA polymerase. But its cost and efficacy remain to be determined.

Aside from price (Gilead is infamous for its Hep C cure that ‘only’ costs about $100,000 per treated patient)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 12:03:25 am by Elderberry »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:00:50 am »
Good posting. So far, those are the two I have heard of.

Oh, and Brussels Sprouts...
 :pop41:

(I'm just saying that so the line will be in produce and I'll have a shot at some TP) :smokin:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 01:03:23 am »
Good posting. So far, those are the two I have heard of.

Oh, and Brussels Sprouts...
 :pop41:

(I'm just saying that so the line will be in produce and I'll have a shot at some TP) :smokin:

:rolling:  Good grief! If it were brussel sprouts, I'm a gonner.  Those little balls get stuck in your throat and make you gag.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 01:06:10 am »
:rolling:  Good grief! If it were brussel sprouts, I'm a gonner.  Those little balls get stuck in your throat and make you gag.

So true.  LOL!

I see the photos of them charred and tossed with bacon bits...all shiney and then you taste them.  UGH!

Come on, man! :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 01:32:15 am »
Dang! My thread gets hijacked again. I guess I'll need to move it to the cooking cat.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 01:42:46 am »
WUWT by Rud Istvan 3/20/2020

Hopeful: Summary of Wuhan #Coronavirus Therapies and Potential Cures

In the 3/19 Wuhan virus briefing with the FDA, team Trump made much of the possibilities for two therapeutic candidates, chloroquine and remdesivir. Having now done informed basic research on both, I found their stories intrinsically interesting, while enabling an early assessment of their chances of success. Hence this hopeful guest post.

Background

Wuhan coronavirus is an enveloped positive sense single strand RNA virus, meaning its core genetic RNA code is just one long chain coding directly for several proteins, surrounded first by a protective viral protein capsid coat, and then a lipid membrane ‘envelope’ from which project so called “E” (for envelope) and “S” (for spike) proteins. The S protein is what the virus uses to bind to and then invade the lung’s epithelial cells in order to hijack those cell’s reproductive machinery to make copies of itself using its RNA polymerase, itself encoded in about 2/3 of the core viral genetics. The newly assembled virions that then bud out to infect new cells also eventually kill the infected epithelial cell. Covid 19 disease is caused both by the death of those cells and the immune system’s eventual response to the infection.

The S spikes are also the reason this virus class is named corona, because the spikes make it look under SEM like the virus is wearing a crown.

Chloroquine

These are actually two closely related anti-malarials, hydroxychloroquine (the small French trial) and chloroquine phosphate (the larger Chinese trial). Both were developed in the 1950’s, and interestingly the main use now is to treat rheumatoid arthritis rather than malaria (which evolved resistance).

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/20/wuhan-coronavirus-therapies-scientific-background/
My niece took Chloroquine recently for malaria.  She said it has strange affects on you, plus it gave her wild dreams.  I think another possible side affect is color blindness.  @corbe will love it...lol.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 02:16:58 am »
From the article: "(the main side affect is retinopathy [vision problems] in 25% of patients over 50 that resolves [slowly] after discontinuation)"

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 02:26:05 am »

S'alright... All the more for me... I Luuuuv me some brussell sprouts.
 :beer:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 02:42:07 am »
This should be a sticky too.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 02:54:17 am »
From the article: "(the main side affect is retinopathy [vision problems] in 25% of patients over 50 that resolves [slowly] after discontinuation)"

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/chloroquine-side-effects.html

That's a nasty list of side effects.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 05:34:52 am »
https://www.drugs.com/sfx/chloroquine-side-effects.html

That's a nasty list of side effects.
Apparently hydroxychloroquine's effects are less severe.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 06:21:00 am »
If the pulmonary conditions akin to pulmonary edema are the result of a Cytopathic effect or cytokine storm, might turmeric act as an anti-inflammatory to reduce the effect? Do we have Data from India where turmeric is common in curry, to indicate one way or another? 

See https://mmrjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40779-020-00240-0/figures/1
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 11:36:29 am »
If the pulmonary conditions akin to pulmonary edema are the result of a Cytopathic effect or cytokine storm, might turmeric act as an anti-inflammatory to reduce the effect? Do we have Data from India where turmeric is common in curry, to indicate one way or another? 

See https://mmrjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40779-020-00240-0/figures/1

You may have something there. I have a good supply of turmeric onhand as my wife takes it.

https://www.indiawest.com/news/global_indian/turmeric-is-being-touted-as-an-effective-herb-to-keep/article_6f3b697c-633e-11ea-8dd0-930267c416fd.html

Turmeric is Being Touted as an Effective Herb to Keep Coronavirus at Bay

NEW DELHI – Turmeric, or curcumin, is being advocated by some medical experts for reducing lung inflammation amid the rising COVID-19 cases in India. The virus is especially known to attack the respiratory system.

Turmeric is being touted as the only way to keep inflammation in your body low so that you have a better chance of fighting the coronavirus infection.

In view of the current COVID-19 epidemic and the panic around it, medical experts have a few suggestions besides washing hands, not being in crowded spaces, etc., on how to boost the immune system and possibly minimize the symptoms as there is no cure for the disease.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 11:40:25 am »
This should be a sticky too.

Go for it! Just not in the Cooking Cat.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 11:44:52 am »
Here's a research paper on combining Hydroxichloroquine and Azithromycin, and it seems to work. I find that interesting, since the latter is an antibiotic, not an anti-viral (a/k/a Zithromax).
Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19
18 mars 2020   
link
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 12:44:31 pm »
Hydroxychloroquine Now Being Advocated to Fight Coronavirus; Trump Supporting?

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2020/03/hydroxychloroquine-now-being-advocated-to-fight-coronavirus-trump-supporting/

Now this is getting interesting!

Tucker Carlson is, as I type, interviewing one of the COVID-19 researchers from Stanford, who is quoting the new French study that shows (he says) a 100% cure rate using hydroxychloroquine. (I don’t know if my pestering of my contact at FoxNews helped instigate the coverage, I sent him the earlier Stanford-led research report that use China and S. Korea results with the drug).

The Stanford researcher said that Trump has authorized mass buys (I think that’s what he said) of the drug.

Here’s the website with the latest results. Could be a Big Let-Down for Big Pharma, which I’m sure wants to produce a variety of treatments and vaccines.

I expect this story will evolve rapidly in the coming days.

https://www.covidtrial.io/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 01:03:44 pm »
Bayer and an Israeli "big pharma" manufacturer have donated millions of doses of Hydroxychloroquine. Evil corporations!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 01:41:00 pm »
HUGE DEVELOPMENT! … Now 3 International Studies Find Chloroquine with Azithromycin Shows 100% Success Rate in Treating Coronavirus in 6 Days! (VIDEO)
 by Jim Hoft March 19, 2020

There are now THREE international studies — China, Australia and France — that found that Chloroquine with Azithromycin Shows 100% Success Rate in Treating Coronavirus in 6 Days!  ...

President Trump announced on Thursday morning that the CDC had approved use of the drug in treating coronavirus patients.

But tonight we heard more from Rep. Mark Green, a former Army Flight Surgeon, that the combination of Chloroquine with  Azithromycin cleared the virus in 3 days in 100% of the patients in the study. ...More at Gateway Pundit

Offline Idiot

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 05:37:30 pm »
HUGE DEVELOPMENT! … Now 3 International Studies Find Chloroquine with Azithromycin Shows 100% Success Rate in Treating Coronavirus in 6 Days! (VIDEO)
 by Jim Hoft March 19, 2020

There are now THREE international studies — China, Australia and France — that found that Chloroquine with Azithromycin Shows 100% Success Rate in Treating Coronavirus in 6 Days!  ...

President Trump announced on Thursday morning that the CDC had approved use of the drug in treating coronavirus patients.

But tonight we heard more from Rep. Mark Green, a former Army Flight Surgeon, that the combination of Chloroquine with  Azithromycin cleared the virus in 3 days in 100% of the patients in the study. ...More at Gateway Pundit
I wonder what the daily production capability is of this drug.