Author Topic: Tom Cotton Debuts Plan to Take Pharma Production Back From China  (Read 465 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Tom Cotton Debuts Plan to Take Pharma Production Back From China

Charles Fain Lehman - MARCH 19, 2020 5:50 PM

Sen. Tom Cotton (R., Ark.) introduced legislation Thursday to repatriate pharmaceutical manufacturing from China to America, aiming to reduce a dependency that could seriously limit the U.S. coronavirus response.

The bill, which Cotton introduced with Rep. Mike Gallagher (R., Wis.), aims to severely curtail the volume of Chinese active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) from the U.S. medical drug supply. The PRC currently produces most of the world's APIs—the "active ingredients" in commonly used drugs—leaving the United States and other nations critically dependent on it for medicines.

Cotton's is just the latest proposal to onshore pharmaceutical supply chains, including a similar one from Sen. Marco Rubio (R., Fla.) and rumblings from the White House about a "buy American" executive order. Prompted by the coronavirus pandemic, many are beginning to see the cost-savings from Chinese-made pharmaceuticals as not worth the risk of undersupply during another pandemic, or during a potential conflict with America's main geostrategic rival.

"China unleashed this plague on the world, and China has to be held accountable," said Cotton during a Fox News interview Wednesday evening. "It's too grave a threat to let our health rest on Chinese drugs."...

Excerpted from: https://freebeacon.com/policy/tom-cotton-debuts-plan-to-take-pharma-production-back-from-china/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Tom Cotton Debuts Plan to Take Pharma Production Back From China
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 04:25:27 pm »
Senator Cotton is 100% correct!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Tom Cotton Debuts Plan to Take Pharma Production Back From China
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:47:30 pm »
I met a fellow perhaps early 2000s

He was an independent consultant, who specialized in establishing manufacturing in China.

It was based on the Toyota Production System (TPS)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Production_System

He could now consult on bringing production back, to the US or to elsewhere.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln