Author Topic: Senator Dumped Up to $1.6 Million of Stock After Reassuring Public About Coronavirus Preparedness  (Read 1750 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senator Dumped Up to $1.6 Million of Stock After Reassuring Public About Coronavirus Preparedness

Intelligence Chair Richard Burr’s selloff came around the time he was receiving daily briefings on the health threat.

by Robert Faturechi and Derek Willis March 19, 5:01 p.m. EDT

Soon after he offered public assurances that the government was ready to battle the coronavirus, the powerful chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $582,029 and $1.56 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 29 separate transactions.

As the head of the intelligence committee, Burr, a North Carolina Republican, has access to the government’s most highly classified information about threats to America’s security. His committee was receiving daily coronavirus briefings around this time, according to a Reuters story.

A week after Burr’s sales, the stock market began a sharp decline and has lost about 30% since.

On Thursday, Burr came under fire after NPR obtained a secret recording from Feb. 27, in which the lawmaker gave a VIP group at an exclusive social club a much more dire preview of the economic impact of the coronavirus than what he had told the public.

more
https://www.propublica.org/article/senator-dumped-up-to-1-6-million-of-stock-after-reassuring-public-about-coronavirus-preparedness
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

I heard it was about oil.

So how much of his stock did he sell? A small percentage or a large percentage?

What did Martha get put away for?

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
The whole stock selling thing is bad enough but from the article:

“According to the NPR report, Burr told attendees of the luncheon held at the Capitol Hill Club: “There’s one thing that I can tell you about this: It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history ... It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.”

He’s on the Senate Intelligence Committee. Wasn’t there some sort of closed door “secret level Senate security briefing” in early February regarding COVID-19?

If this is the “one” thing that he thought, the thing he could tell the luncheon attendees that “It is much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history ... It is probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic.” (and that pandemic was damn bad) what else does he know?

And no, I’m not at all a conspiracy mined person as from all I’ve read and researched, it seems more likely to me to be less a manmade bioweapon than a nature born one and no, I do not believe it is a “deep state” plot.

But the reactions and drastic measures of governments pretty much all over the world tells me that us peons aren’t privy to some level of information on this.

Is it mutating into a deadlier form that will kill more than just the old and the “infirmed”? Is the R0 a lot higher so that even if it only kills 1 to 2 % of those infected, the sheer number expected to be infected would be catastrophic.  One of the other unknowns is if once infected, do you get immunity and is it lifetime or just for a while and for how long or can you be infected again and how soon, are they really expecting multiple waves?

I’m a bit of a history and medical science geek and one of the things I became very fascinated about while taking an advanced placement European history course in HS was the Black Death, and many years later about the “Spanish” flu.

I’ve read lots of books and papers and watched lots of documentaries over the years on both and the social, political and economic impacts.

While I’ve been aware that many virologists have warned for quite some time that another “Spanish” flu pandemic (or another viral disease) wasn’t a matter of if but when.

But I really didn’t think I’d be living it.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
Sen. Kelly Loeffler Dumped Millions in Stock After Coronavirus Briefing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

The Senate’s newest member sold off seven figures worth of stock holdings in the days and weeks after a private, all-senators meeting on the novel coronavirus that subsequently hammered U.S. equities.

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) reported the first sale of stock jointly owned by her and her husband on Jan. 24, the very day that her committee, the Senate Health Committee, hosted a private, all-senators briefing from administration officials, including the CDC director and Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institutes of Health of the United States, on the coronavirus.

When Loeffler assumed office she immediately became the wealthiest member of Congress. The Atlanta businesswoman, whose husband is the chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange, is worth an estimated $500 million.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It looks like these two are guilty of violating the spirit of "insider trading" rules, if not the letter.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Sen. Kelly Loeffler Dumped Millions in Stock After Coronavirus Briefing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sen-kelly-loeffler-dumped-millions-in-stock-after-coronavirus-briefing

She hadn't made a single stock transaction in the three weeks prior to her getting the Corona Virus briefing.

Both Loeffler and and Burr should be kicked out of the Senate immediately and dumped into the waiting arms of the FBI.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DB

She hadn't made a single stock transaction in the three weeks prior to her getting the Corona Virus briefing.

Both Loeffler and and Burr should be kicked out of the Senate immediately and dumped into the waiting arms of the FBI.

Ya, I have to agree. Knowledge not privy to the general public used to avoid the fate of those not in the know.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This is as weird as heck, this is the same Senator Richard Burr from NC, maybe this was posted already, I heard something about a recording but didn't know what it was about:

Intelligence Chairman Raised Virus Alarms Weeks Ago, Secret Recording Shows

March 19, 20205:08 AM ET

The chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee warned a small group of well-connected constituents three weeks ago to prepare for dire economic and societal effects of the coronavirus, according to a secret recording obtained by NPR.

The remarks from U.S. Sen. Richard Burr were more stark than any he had delivered in more public forums.

On Feb. 27, when the United States had 15 confirmed cases of COVID-19, President Trump was tamping down fears and suggesting that the virus could be seasonal.

Read more at: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

Wow, this is a part of the same story.   :pondering:

Not good news... I'm sure this was already posted but maybe it's important to add in, it's the same Senator.

Maybe there's a simple explanation, maybe it's meaningless too. You don't want to scare the devil out of the public for no reason.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 02:04:39 am by TomSea »

Offline DB

This is as weird as heck, this is the same Senator Richard Burr from NC, maybe this was posted already, I heard something about a recording but didn't know what it was about:

Wow, this is a part of the same story.   :pondering:

Not good news... I'm sure this was already posted but maybe it's important to add in, it's the same Senator.

It also helps with a timeline of when the federal government knew it was serious in China and going to spread. I have to believe the federal government has a pretty darn good idea where this virus came from. We'd likely be monitoring communications between Chinese officials as things started to get going there providing information of its true origins.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Ya, I have to agree. Knowledge not privy to the general public used to avoid the fate of those not in the know.

Let's not forget too that Loeffler was the establishment pick to fill that seat...Conservatives wanted Doug Collins.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Sen. Burr Dumped Up to $1.7M in Stock Before Pandemic

A watchdog reports Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., dumped $1.7 million in stock as he was receiving intelligence briefings on the oncoming onslaught of the coronavirus, all while reassuring the public about U.S. readiness.

Burr, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, received classified daily briefings on the outbreak that would become a World Health Organization pandemic. He also issued assurances the U.S. was right to fend off the coronavirus

But, ProPublica reported, Burr unloaded between $628,000 and $1.72 million of stock holding Feb. 13 in 33 transactions.

His timing of the transactions are noteworthy, because the sharp stock market declines began a week afterward and has lost about 30% of value.
A secret recording from a Feb. 27 VIP social club, obtained by NPR, caught Burr sounding alarms on the oncoming economy hit of the coronavirus pandemic – which was different than the reassurances he was given the public, according to the report.

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/stock-pandemic-classified-briefings/2020/03/19/id/959130/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

What a fortuitous coincidence.  One I'm certain will be thoroughly investigated ...
eventually.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Keep in mind that the Congress are exempt from insider trading laws.  :shrug:

(Rules for thee, but not for me! --ask Martha)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It looks like these two are guilty of violating the spirit of "insider trading" rules, if not the letter.
Members of congress are exempt for the insider trading rules. One of the perks they have written in for themselves, just like they were exempt from the ACA.

As for saying the COVID 19 virus is as bad as the 1918 Flu, the panic which ensues in the markets can be used to make one hell of a lot of money if a guy knows when to sell short. There is a spectrum of derivative investments which amplify the money involved, and a panic is almost a sure thing in the face of a novel virus, especially one projected by someone allegedly in the know to have a high mortality rate. It is that way in markets across the globe, and some people are getting filthy rich on everyone else's evaporating equity.  Watch for the Saudis to buy up big chunks of American oil tool and service companies, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Keep in mind that the Congress are exempt from insider trading laws.  :shrug:

(Rules for thee, but not for me! --ask Martha)

Well, then my "What a fortuitous coincidence" comment still stands.

Richard Hine @richardhine
If Hunter Biden really wanted to get rich trading on his political connections, he’d become a GOP Senator.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:01:26 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Four senators sold stocks before coronavirus threat crashed market

Four senators sold stocks shortly after a January Senate briefing on the novel coronavirus outbreak, unloading shares that plummeted in value a month later as the stock market crashed in the face of a global pandemic.

According to financial disclosures, Sens. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) each sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks within days of the Senate holding a classified briefing on Jan. 24 with administration officials on the threat of the coronavirus outbreak.

The sales raise questions about whether the senators violated the STOCK Act, a law that bans members of Congress from making financial trades based on nonpublic information.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline skeeter

Four senators sold stocks before coronavirus threat crashed market

Four senators sold stocks shortly after a January Senate briefing on the novel coronavirus outbreak, unloading shares that plummeted in value a month later as the stock market crashed in the face of a global pandemic.

According to financial disclosures, Sens. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) each sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks within days of the Senate holding a classified briefing on Jan. 24 with administration officials on the threat of the coronavirus outbreak.

The sales raise questions about whether the senators violated the STOCK Act, a law that bans members of Congress from making financial trades based on nonpublic information.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market

Don't know the details of these trades but keep in mind the rats find scandals like these useful to pick up seats, and the rat media are only too happy to assist. All they need are a few this cycle.

Just be skeptical.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
1, 2, 3, 4 Senators Dump Stock After Wuhan Virus Briefing Leaving Reporters Breathless; Here’s What They’re Missing

excerpt:

Here’s what reporters are missing:

(Let me preface this by saying that Sen. Burr is one of my least favorite Republicans, and Sen. Feinstein, one of my least favorite Democrats. I am neutral on Sens. Loeffler and Inhofe.)

1. The stock market was extremely overbought at the time and professionals, in addition to most Americans who follow the financial markets, were waiting for at least a ten percent correction. It had come a long way in a short period of time and everyone knows markets never go straight up. This market was screaming for a shakeout from at least mid-January on. If you were to indict every investor who sold stock during this period, the number would be into the millions.

2. Burr didn’t sell his stock until three weeks after the briefing. Why would he wait 21 days? That’s an eternity in the stock market.

3. Burr addresses the accusations in a lengthy text message thread which can be viewed here. The gist of it is that the lunch which NPR portrays as “secret” was anything but.

Burr writes:

This lunch was hosted on Feb. 27 by the North Carolina State Society. It was publicly advertised and widely attended. NPR knew, but did not report, that attendees also included many non-members, bipartisan congressional staff, and representatives from the governor’s office.

Every state has a state society. They aren’t “secretive” or “high-dollar donor” organizations. They’re great civic institutions that bring people in D.C. together for events, receptions, and lunches. And they’re open to anyone who wants to get involved. Like most members of Congress, I address our state society every year.

more
https://www.redstate.com/elizabeth-vaughn/2020/03/20/1-2-3-4-senators-dump-stock-after-wuhan-virus-briefing-its-not-as-simple-as-that/
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Tucker Carlson: Sen. Burr Needs To Resign, Be Charged If He Can’t Explain $1.7 Million Stock Dump
https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/20/fox-news-tucker-carlson-senator-richard-burr-resign-1-7-million-stocks-hotels-coronavirus/
Support the USO

Offline skeeter

Tucker Carlson: Sen. Burr Needs To Resign, Be Charged If He Can’t Explain $1.7 Million Stock Dump
https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/20/fox-news-tucker-carlson-senator-richard-burr-resign-1-7-million-stocks-hotels-coronavirus/

There will be more news on this, and rats will be involved equally.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
There will be more news on this, and rats will be involved equally.

I hope so...we can't afford to have 3 Repub Senators resign...even if there are Dems involved, they never quit.

Btw...DiFi is involved...
Support the USO

Offline skeeter

I hope so...we can't afford to have 3 Repub Senators resign...even if there are Dems involved, they never quit.

Btw...DiFi is involved...

The problem is the first ones implicated are the only ones people will remember.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Members of congress are exempt for the insider trading rules. One of the perks they have written in for themselves, just like they were exempt from the ACA.

As for saying the COVID 19 virus is as bad as the 1918 Flu, the panic which ensues in the markets can be used to make one hell of a lot of money if a guy knows when to sell short. There is a spectrum of derivative investments which amplify the money involved, and a panic is almost a sure thing in the face of a novel virus, especially one projected by someone allegedly in the know to have a high mortality rate. It is that way in markets across the globe, and some people are getting filthy rich on everyone else's evaporating equity.  Watch for the Saudis to buy up big chunks of American oil tool and service companies, too.

@Smokin Joe

And you had better believe these same firms have private intelligence agencies that rival the CIA when it comes to politics and effects on the stock market,and that they had this info weeks before it was made public.

Not only that,but they had already made plans to re-invest the money they pulled out earlier once the market tanks,so they will be in a position to make some serious profit when it recovers.

Anyone else remember that famous photo of John D.Rockefeller lighting a cigar with a 100 dollar bill as he stood outside the NY Stock Exchange during the Depression,and saying,"Times are so tight now that a man with a mere million dollars might as well be rich." ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:08:13 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!