Author Topic: Movie Theaters Request Stimulus from Trump, Congress Due to Coronavirus  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Movie Theaters Request Stimulus from Trump, Congress Due to Coronavirus
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 01:37:22 pm »
This is why I miss the drive in movies from my childhood

Btw, I’m seeing Hollywood is closing both movies and tv shows in production.

Just as well in my opinion.  Most movies and tv shows nowadays are garbage.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2020, 04:16:31 pm »
That sounds like fun. I miss our old Drive-in theater (closed with the last boom because the real estate was too valuable to keep it going on a seasonal basis).

It is fun... both nostalgic and yet different from the chunked-and-formed entertainment venues available today.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2020, 06:44:02 pm »
It is fun... both nostalgic and yet different from the chunked-and-formed entertainment venues available today.
All that is missing are good 'rubber suit monster' movies...I wonder if y'all could put up shows in 3-D?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 06:46:15 pm »
All that is missing are good 'rubber suit monster' movies...I wonder if y'all could put up shows in 3-D?

I don't know... But I get where you're going... One of the first movies there was Creature from the Black Lagoon...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 06:49:45 pm »
I don't know... But I get where you're going... One of the first movies there was Creature from the Black Lagoon...
I saw that in 3-d in college. Sat in the balcony, (of course!). There was a bunch down in the front rows likely tripping because in the opening scene about the big bang, where the rocks looked like they were landing just shy of the balcony, they were screaming and crawling under the seats... :silly:

Sometimes the crowd is as entertaining as the movie... :laugh:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 06:53:00 pm »
I saw that in 3-d in college. Sat in the balcony, (of course!). There was a bunch down in the front rows likely tripping because in the opening scene about the big bang, where the rocks looked like they were landing just shy of the balcony, they were screaming and crawling under the seats... :silly:

:beer:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 06:55:36 pm »
IMO, the movie theater should go the way of the drive-in theater.

They're today's '1-hour Photo Stop' or Conestoga Wagon.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 07:04:26 pm »
Our local AMC theater is always packed.  They show first run movies and tickets are $4.99 -- every day, all day.  Popcorn and drinks are reasonable.  We bring in our own candy if we want more.

I'm hoping that they get a piece of the pie.  As for the other theaters around here, they should be ashamed, they charge at least twice as much and the cost of their drinks and snacks is outrageous.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 07:05:24 pm »
IMO, the movie theater should go the way of the drive-in theater.

They're today's '1-hour Photo Stop' or Conestoga Wagon.

That's mostly true @DCPatriot ... Since I have a big screen at home, I would much rather ensconce myself in my familiar chair and enjoy the ability to pause for re-snackification and bathroom breaks..

The movie house is nostalgic, but not worth the cost, except as a pilgrimage now and then. I will never again make the movie house a part of my weekend agenda.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »
That's mostly true @DCPatriot ... Since I have a big screen at home, I would much rather ensconce myself in my familiar chair and enjoy the ability to pause for re-snackification and bathroom breaks..

The movie house is nostalgic, but not worth the cost, except as a pilgrimage now and then. I will never again make the movie house a part of my weekend agenda.
  @roamer_1

Exactly...the 'Big Screen' Home experience also killed the NFL and MLB attendance.    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2020, 07:10:38 pm »

Years ago a fist fist broke out in the row directly in front of my friends and I, apparently over who could use the elbow rest.

Better than the picture, which I can't remember.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 07:20:04 pm »
  @roamer_1

Exactly...the 'Big Screen' Home experience also killed the NFL and MLB attendance.    :beer:
Ticket prices may have ha a hand in that, too.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2020, 07:31:53 pm »
I experienced the Matrix, Batman the Dark Knight, Spider-man 1 and 2, Blade, and the Watchmen in the theaters.  I also experienced Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America - Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America - Civil War, Thor - Ragnarok, Avengers - Infinity Wars, and Avengers Endgame with my family at the theaters.

I was really looking forward to sharing the Marvel produced story of the Fantastic Four, Hulk vs Wolverine, and the Phoenix Saga done right with my children.

Good news is the Inhumans are streaming now on DisneyPlus
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYF1SXcWqQ

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2020, 08:14:55 pm »
Ticket prices may have ha a hand in that, too.

A BIG hand, I think.  I practically have to take out a loan to take my family of 8 to see a major league game, and that's BEFORE concessions.  It's crazy.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online roamer_1

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2020, 08:16:14 pm »
A BIG hand, I think.  I practically have to take out a loan to take my family of 8 to see a major league game, and that's BEFORE concessions.  It's crazy.

I just won't do that...
Simple things. And the best things in life are free.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2020, 08:20:11 pm »
I just won't do that...
Simple things. And the best things in life are free.

It's a once a year treat, if we can swing it.  Probably isn't going to happen this year.

But yes, the Sunday family dinners at home are a much more simple event and will also make lasting memories of everyone laughing around the table together.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 08:33:05 pm »
It's a once a year treat, if we can swing it.  Probably isn't going to happen this year.

But yes, the Sunday family dinners at home are a much more simple event and will also make lasting memories of everyone laughing around the table together.

Yep. We do family night every Saturday... BBQ or pizza, and a movie, or something. Sometimes we will show up out in the sticks at a lake or something...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020, 10:09:26 pm »
Folks, who needs movie theaters any more?

All you need:
- A good computer display, 27" or larger (I have 27" 1080p)
- A good pair of speakers or headphones
- torrent software (on the Mac, I use "Transmission")

then...
- Decide what film you want to find
- Open a secure browser (I like the "Epic Privacy Browser")
- Enter "torrent xxx 1080p" (with xxx being the name of the film)*
- Start checking your search hits one-by-one (I suggest you right-click and open each link "in a new window" so you don't lose your original search page)
- When you see a good possibility, look for the "magnet download" icon (safest and best choice -- DO NOT use the "download" or "watch online" options!)
- That should attempt to open the magnet file with your torrent app
- Choose where you want to save it. How fast it comes in depends on your connection and the number of "seeds" out there.

Pay attention to HOW OLD the torrent file is. Old ones can "go dead" -- useless.

I'll often start downloading several torrents of the same film, to see which of them come in the fastest (or at all). If you choose to save two, open each and pick the one that has the best quality to watch.

Once you have it, open with the movie-playing app of your choice.
On the Mac, I recommend VLC or IINA.

*The "1080p" gets you an HD torrent, IF one is available. But... they're not always available, and you might have to settle for "less resolution", such as "720p". Experimentation is needed to find what you want.

Aside:
Over the past several months, I've been trying to collect as many "anti-communist" films as I could find. I've built up a very nice collection of them!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020, 10:12:28 pm »
Last Major league game I saw I was a Cub Scout (Washington Senators vs Baltimore Orioles).

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 01:23:09 am »
Last Major league game I saw I was a Cub Scout (Washington Senators vs Baltimore Orioles).

The Minnesota Twins Senators, or the Texas Rangers Senators?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2020, 04:24:21 am »
The Minnesota Twins Senators, or the Texas Rangers Senators?
I haven't followed since (I liked the Orioles better, they were a MD team, and the Senators belonged to DC). But the year was roughly '65 or '66. With a little digging, they moved to Texas afterwards.

C S Lewis