Author Topic: 18 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread  (Read 1238 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
18 Mar 2020 12:00 MN CD

DJIA Futures-   - 2.9%
S & P 500 Futures- -3.2%
NASDAQ Futures- -3.5%

Gold $1527/oz

WTI- $26.98/bbl

Pacific Rim Trading
==============
Nikkei- +0.8%
Hang Seng + 0.1%

VIX Futures- 76

If anyone wants me to add any other market overviews to these updates, let me know
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Re: 18 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:49:14 am »
Dow-30 Futures stuck at "limit down". Another -2K point day?  2K down, 1K up, 2k down, 1400 up, 3K down...stop the roller coaster!   :th_10444:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:13:03 pm »
18 Mar 2020 07:00 MN CD

DJIA Futures-   - 4.0%
S & P 500 Futures- -3.7%
NASDAQ Futures- -4.4%

Circuit Breakers controls in effect at opening

Gold $1511/oz. Trending down overnight

WTI- $25.32/bbl.  New 20 year low @$25.06 earlier this morning

Pacific Rim Markets-  @ Close
==============
Nikkei- -1.7%
Hang Seng - 4.1%
ASX (Australia)- - 6.6%

Europe Markets
=============
FTSE- -4.6%
DAX-  -5.4%
CAC-  -4.8%

VIX Futures- 76

No green blips on my screen.  Looks like another possibly tough day of red.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:29 pm »
S+P futures limit down most of the night right at 2400.

SPY ETF indicating about a 2380 open for the SPX.
The Republic is lost.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 01:16:50 pm »
 :0001:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 01:32:02 pm »
:0001:

We all are nervous, but want to give you a flicker of hope.  There will be a bottom, though I really don't think we have found it yet.   Once it it is found and stablizes, there will be a lot of us, who will have a once a generation buying opportunity.  Now is really the time to do the homework, crunch the numbers, and establish an entry point of where you want to jump back in, or add to positions.  Don't forget....   Even in 1929, which I consider a worst case scenario Close to 15% of market cap was preserved even at its worst.

I am an oil company retiree, so I am not adding obviously, but there are some large integrated oil companies that are seeing divy's at 8-10%, and are at sub 2009 (last crash) stock price numbers.  So think about it.   Even if the stock price and or divy's cumulatively lost another 50%, you'd still be @ a 4-5% yield.  Not saying this is a sure bet, but think about it.  Are oil companies going away? 

I'd keep an eye, on other way over-sold sectors too....  Airlines, Travel, etc. etc etc. At some points, some great bargains will be found,

Like i have said on other threads....    The absolute best fin. advise I ever got was that best time to invest is when there is a stampede of the fearful to get out.  That served me well in '87, '00, and '09.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:07:29 pm »
We all are nervous, but want to give you a flicker of hope.  There will be a bottom, though I really don't think we have found it yet.   Once it it is found and stablizes, there will be a lot of us, who will have a once a generation buying opportunity.  Now is really the time to do the homework, crunch the numbers, and establish an entry point of where you want to jump back in, or add to positions.  Don't forget....   Even in 1929, which I consider a worst case scenario Close to 15% of market cap was preserved even at its worst.

I am an oil company retiree, so I am not adding obviously, but there are some large integrated oil companies that are seeing divy's at 8-10%, and are at sub 2009 (last crash) stock price numbers.  So think about it.   Even if the stock price and or divy's cumulatively lost another 50%, you'd still be @ a 4-5% yield.  Not saying this is a sure bet, but think about it.  Are oil companies going away? 

I'd keep an eye, on other way over-sold sectors too....  Airlines, Travel, etc. etc etc. At some points, some great bargains will be found,

Like i have said on other threads....    The absolute best fin. advise I ever got was that best time to invest is when there is a stampede of the fearful to get out.  That served me well in '87, '00, and '09.
I also am an oil retiree and will not be adding, although I will do some needed tax loss harvesting.

One item I will add to your comments is this is an excellent time to diversify if not already positioned that direction.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 03:12:44 pm »
Dow plunges, oil craters as Congress weighs $1T stimulus
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/us-stocks-march-18-2020
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 03:15:39 pm »
Don't give a damn where the market is today.  Tell me where it is in 2035 when I'm ready to sell.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:32:39 pm »
18 Mar 2020 10:20 a.m CDT

Carnage Continues

DJIA - down 6.3% and has broken down through the 20,000 psycholgical barrier
S & P 500 - down 6.0%
NASDAQ - down 4.5%

Congress discussing $1T stimulus package.

Gold $1493/oz. Down sharply

WTI- $22.80/bbl.  Down 15% for the day. If it drops to $17.06/bbl, it would be the lowest inflation adjusted oil price since early 1946.

Europe Markets
=============
FTSE- -4.1%
DAX-  -5.2%
CAC-  -6.2%

VIX - 75

Online catfish1957

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 03:49:24 pm »
Through this financial crisis, an interesting tidbit.

IMO Not good news, but the U.S. Long Bond rates are roaring back.  At this moment the 30 yr is at @1.7% , and the 10 yr. note is @1.06%.

Last week these bonds troughed at 0.84%, and .0.40% respectfully

First the bad news....    Seeing this huge spike tells me that the financial community is seeing this crisis as deepening and long lasting.  Parking cash there is a better hedge vs. the short notes in these condtions.

Secondly I would venture that those corporations that floated some or refinanced their corporate debts at the trough last week, and going to make a killing.  Afraid it might be quite awhile before we are able to buy a decent rate in a well positoned (Say A or better rating) corporate bond.

Have not seen condtions like the past few weeks, ..... 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 04:33:24 pm »
Down 1427 around 12.30p.

But the bigger news is oil:
Down to 22.55  !!
Will it drop under $20 today?
Probably within another day or two!

This might be a time to start filling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve as fast as it can be filled.
Someday prices will go up and it can be sold back off then for a good profit for the general fund.

Catfish wrote in #5 above:
"We all are nervous, but want to give you a flicker of hope.  There will be a bottom, though I really don't think we have found it yet."

As I posted several days' back, the only "bottom" is... "0".

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 04:34:32 pm »
Don't give a damn where the market is today.  Tell me where it is in 2035 when I'm ready to sell.

:thumbsup:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 04:37:27 pm »
Down 1427 around 12.30p.

Down to 22.55  !!

This might be a time to start filling the Strategic Petroleum Reserve as fast as it can be filled.
Someday prices will go up and it can be sold back off then for a good profit for the general fund.

"We all are nervous, but want to give you a flicker of hope.  There will be a bottom, though I really don't think we have found it yet."

US to buy 'large quantities' of crude to 'fill up' SPR: Trump
https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/oil/031320-us-to-buy-large-quantities-of-crude-to-fill-up-spr-trump
13 Mar 2020

The US government will take advantage of low oil prices and buy "large quantities" of crude to fill the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, President Donald Trump said Friday.

"We're going to fill it right up to the top, saving the American taxpayer billions and billions of dollars," Trump said during a press conference.

He added that the move was also designed to help the US oil industry, which has been hit by the double-whammy of demand destruction from the coronavirus pandemic and surging supply after the breakup of the OPEC+ agreement between Saudi Arabia and Russia....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 04:53:43 pm »
Down 1427 around 12.30p.

Down to 22.55  !!

Sorry Fisherr...   not going to happen.  Didn't  even happen in '32. 

Or I guess you are expecting the financial zombie apocalypse.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:03:11 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 05:02:22 pm »
18 Mar 2020 Noon CDT

DJIA - down 7.8%
S & P 500 - down 7.0%
NASDAQ - down 6.3%

Gold $1485/oz. Down sharply

WTI- $22.90/bbl.  Off session low of $22.04/bbl.

Europe Markets @closing
=============
FTSE- -3.7%
DAX-  -5.6%
CAC-  -5.9%

VIX - 77

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 05:05:18 pm »
Markets halted for the 4th time..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 05:46:32 pm »
mystery wrote:
"Markets halted for the 4th time.."

This "circuit breaker" thing isn't going to work much longer.
All it does is "reset the clock", and then the market can drop -another- 5-7% after each reset.

This might even be exacerbating panic selling by building up more tension during "each timeout".

When it gets below 15,000, and it probably will, they're going to have to try something else.
Perhaps a complete shutdown of trading for several days.

Literally force investors/traders to "hold whatcha got" until calmer thinking can be established.

Could we soon see oil at $15-18 bbl ...?
Who EVER would have thought that could happen again...?

Addendum:
We may see $18bbl oil by the end of the week...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:50:41 pm by Fishrrman »

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 06:28:51 pm »
I'm of the opinion government's response to the virus has been a mistake.  They should have advised the elderly to separate where possible and let the others live their lives.  The virus would have run its course under either "curve" but now we are left with an economic depression. 

Online catfish1957

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 06:57:19 pm »
18 Mar 2020 2:00 pm CDT update

**nononono*

DJIA - down 9.7% @19,262
S & P 500 - down 8.7%
NASDAQ - down 7.2%

Gold $1498/oz.

WTI- $20.87/bbl.  Off session low of $20.06/bbl.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2020, 06:58:44 pm »
18 Mar 2020 2:00 pm CDT update

**nononono*

DJIA - down 9.7% @19,262
S & P 500 - down 8.7%
NASDAQ - down 7.2%

Gold $1498/oz.

WTI- $20.87/bbl.  Off session low of $20.06/bbl.
The world has gone insane.  Even metals are getting crushed.....doesn't make sense.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2020, 07:23:06 pm »
I paid $1.64 for gas today.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2020, 07:26:04 pm »
I'm of the opinion government's response to the virus has been a mistake.  They should have advised the elderly to separate where possible and let the others live their lives.  The virus would have run its course under either "curve" but now we are left with an economic depression.
:thumbsup:
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2020, 07:30:25 pm »
I'm of the opinion government's response to the virus has been a mistake.

I'm of the opinion that government response to everything has been a mistake.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2020, 09:36:16 pm »
Interesting graphic from Moody's giving their idea of a sector by sector analysis of COVID-19 impact