Author Topic: US death toll from coronavirus hits 100  (Read 543 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
US death toll from coronavirus hits 100
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:22:26 pm »
US death toll from coronavirus hits 100
By Jessie Hellmann - 03/17/20 07:04 PM EDT

At least 100 people have died from the coronavirus in the U.S., a grim milestone in what is likely to be just the beginning of an epidemic with no end in sight.

About half of those deaths are centered in Washington state, where an outbreak of cases in a nursing home led to rapid spread throughout the state.

In all, there are more than 6,200 cases of the coronavirus in the U.S., according to Johns Hopkins University.

President Trump told reporters Monday the epidemic could continue through the summer, or even longer.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/488134-us-death-toll-from-coronavirus-hits-100
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: US death toll from coronavirus hits 100
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 12:03:57 am »
Riddle me this, math-statistics majors:

Is 100 deaths in America, from this grim epidemic, worth all of the "hair-on-fire" media coverage?

While each life lost is a tragedy, does anybody elsejoing me in believing this is partly media working hard to assist the dem brethren, bringing down Trump, and/or damaging him?

"By Any Means Necessary"

"If It Bleeds, It Leads."

"Never Let Any Crisis,Go Wasted."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:21:42 am »

Is 100 deaths in America, from this grim epidemic, worth all of the "hair-on-fire" media coverage?

While each life lost is a tragedy, does anybody elsejoing me in believing this is partly media working hard to assist the dem brethren, bringing down Trump, and/or damaging him?

"By Any Means Necessary"

I am not a math major, but I did have statistics in college, and I agree with you.

The mortality rate remains at 1.6%, and the denominator is likely far too low, because any people who aren't getting seriously ill and whose risk of infection isn't readily apparent aren't being tested.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:29:53 am »
a grim milestone in what is likely to be just the beginning of an epidemic with no end in sight

Gee, no bias there.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 12:33:54 am »

"By Any Means Necessary"

Italy is not out of ventilators and selecting which get life saving treatment due to the US elections.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:34:27 am »
The panic induced fear mongering courtesy of the Progressives and the media and the economic damage it will do will far outweigh the eventual death toll of this strain of the flu.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 12:43:45 am »

"By Any Means Necessary"

I can only say, that according to the medical experts/CDC this virus will not reach a peak until at least 45 days.  Consider that the state of FL 3 days ago hit 100 cases, today we have 192.  So this virus has nearly doubled in 3 days.  I'd say that is absolute reason for concern...continue to do the math, in another 3 days we could see 400 and 3 more days, 800 and in two complete weeks over 1,600. In 45 days that number could reach 3,200+ IF indeed the project 45 day peak is accurate.  Keep in mind, that we are just now getting testing made more available.  I think the number testing positive could rise significantly. This will continue until we either find a vaccine (which is 18 months out at minimum) or social distance.  Those our are choices.  This isn't a hair on fire reaction. 

The concern is also available uninfected medical personnel, hospital beds and ventilators.  In my county for example we have 4 hospitals with a 1,330 bed capacity for a population of approximately 750,000 people and that number is much higher right now because of tourists.  So do the math; if even 1% of the population becomes ill ... there just isn't the room nor medical personnel to handle that.  People will die simply because they couldn't get treated. 

The time to act is now, not when our hospitals are exploding ... and ours right now already are.

It might be different in your area; your hospitals may be generously staffed and more than adequate bed space, but here we have huge concerns.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 08:05:23 am »
I can only say, that according to the medical experts/CDC this virus will not reach a peak until at least 45 days.  Consider that the state of FL 3 days ago hit 100 cases, today we have 192.  So this virus has nearly doubled in 3 days.  I'd say that is absolute reason for concern...continue to do the math, in another 3 days we could see 400 and 3 more days, 800 and in two complete weeks over 1,600. In 45 days that number could reach 3,200+ IF indeed the project 45 day peak is accurate.  Keep in mind, that we are just now getting testing made more available.  I think the number testing positive could rise significantly. This will continue until we either find a vaccine (which is 18 months out at minimum) or social distance.  Those our are choices.  This isn't a hair on fire reaction. 

The concern is also available uninfected medical personnel, hospital beds and ventilators.  In my county for example we have 4 hospitals with a 1,330 bed capacity for a population of approximately 750,000 people and that number is much higher right now because of tourists.  So do the math; if even 1% of the population becomes ill ... there just isn't the room nor medical personnel to handle that.  People will die simply because they couldn't get treated. 

The time to act is now, not when our hospitals are exploding ... and ours right now already are.

It might be different in your area; your hospitals may be generously staffed and more than adequate bed space, but here we have huge concerns.

Excellent post @libertybele .  Perhaps even perfect like the phone call and transcript.  Not hair on fire, but calm, realistic, and balanced.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:41 pm »
First death here in CT today, in the hospital about a mile and a half from my house. 88-year-old from Ridgefield, it was only announced this morning that the person was sick.

But... if the only case from Ridgefield... how would an 88-year-old have contracted the virus...?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 10:32:19 pm »
The panic induced fear mongering courtesy of the Progressives and the media and the economic damage it will do will far outweigh the eventual death toll of this strain of the flu.

Which means the "crisis" that needs to be "managed" is proceeding on schedule....

Keep your eye on the ball...it's all about getting the hated Trump out of office. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 10:50:39 pm »

Good post.

Here is an example of how hospitals can quickly become overrun if the number of cases keep increasing (no, not just those identified through additional testing, but actual rise in cases):

Over 50% of New Jersey coronavirus cases are hospitalized
From CNN's Melanie Schuman

In 18 of New Jersey's 21 counties there is a case of coronavirus, according to the state officials. The largest number of cases are concentrated in Bergen County which has 27 new cases for a total of 113.
Patients range in age from 5 to 95 and more than 50 percent of these patients in New Jersey are hospitalized.

Conveying the serious nature of the virus, Gov. Phil Murphy addressed people he described as “non-believers” and said, “Believe us, trust us.”
Officials said the two new deaths were both females over 60 and had underlying health conditions.
No decisions have been made in the state about closing schools for the rest of the year.

I’ve also read reports from various areas of the country that they are asking retired doctors and nurses to consider coming out of retirement.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:01:26 pm »
Has anyone yet seen any cases where ambulances are lined up at hospitals waiting for admittance and patients queuing up out the door and down the block?  You know, like it is in the UK every day?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-