Author Topic: Breaking>>Fed cuts interest rates to zero percent, announces $700B in bond purchases  (Read 1415 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Fed cuts interest rates to zero percent, announces $700B in bond purchases
By Sylvan Lane - 03/15/20 05:11 PM EDT

The Federal Reserve on Sunday slashed interest rates to zero percent and announced it would purchases $700 billion in bonds and securities to stabilize financial markets and support the economy.

The emergency rate cut and push to flood the Treasury bond market with liquidity comes as the coronavirus pandemic forces businesses across the U.S. and world to shutter, likely plunging the global economy into a recession.

Developing

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/487692-fed-cuts-interest-rates-to-0-percent-announces-700b-in-bond-purchases
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:32:46 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan

Offline DB

Has this ever happened before?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
So the Fed has now adapted the quran's ban on interest charges...?

Will they loan me some, say about 500,000 for a nice country house...?

Offline skeeter

Yeez. Glad we've just closed on our new house.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Has this ever happened before?
Yes in Dec of 2008

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stock futures plunge after Fed slashes rates to zero
By Sylvan Lane - 03/15/20 06:29 PM EDT

Stock futures plummeted Sunday evening after the Federal Reserve slashed interest rates to 0 percent and announced it would purchase at least $700 billion in bonds to stabilize financial markets.

Dow Jones Industrial Average futures projected a loss of 1,100 points when trading opens Monday morning, while S&P 500 and Nasdaq composite futures fell more than 4 percent, respectively.

The steep stock losses following the Fed's emergency intervention underscores the panic reverberating throughout financial markets and the broader economy over the toll of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/487698-stock-futures-plunge-after-fed-slashes-rates-to-zero
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
S&P futures limit down.
The Republic is lost.

Online Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
Federal Reserve panic is not a good look...billions in QE....billions in debt monetization (Fed buying Treasury bonds...i.e. "take out a new credit card to pay the old credit card(s)"). Reducing bank reserve requirements to zero, etc. etc..  Dow 30 futures not impressed...-1240 points 5% limit down.

https://www.cnbc.com/pre-markets/

https://www.investing.com/indices/us-30-futures

Online Hoodat

The joys of printing your own money.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

The joys of printing your own money.

And buying your own debt with it...

Online Hoodat

Throughout the entire history of the federal reserve, I cannot think of a single time where they were right about something.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

That's yet another three-quarters of a TRILLION dollars if anybody's keeping score....

Online cato potatoe

I estimated a $1.5 trillion deficit on the other thread ... before the additional spending.  The fiscal crisis may arrive sooner than expected.

Online Hoodat

That's yet another three-quarters of a TRILLION dollars if anybody's keeping score....

A trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon we're talking about real money.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

A trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon we're talking about real money.

Crazy, ain't it? And no hue and cry...
It boggles me.

Offline DB

Crazy, ain't it? And no hue and cry...
It boggles me.

Wait until the bailouts begin. This will be chump change.

Offline roamer_1

I am pretty sure this administration has now officially outspent Obummer. And people wonder why I ain't cheering.  :whistle:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

And a note to the Fed....   Good luck selling bonds to the public that make <1%. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Drago

• "Life is a Journey"

Yeah, but at least the Feds can print $$$$, I am more interested/worried about states/local...i.e. CA and others shutting down schools...teachers/staff going w/o pay for the time period?  Highly doubtful....most likely "paid leave" which will add vast sums of money to state/local spending.....followed up by massive reductions in state income tax revenue due to a big drop in economic activity caused by all the shut-downs.  At least the TP industry will see good times!  ;-)

Online Hoodat

And a note to the Fed....   Good luck selling bonds to the public that make <1%.

There's no need to sell bonds as long as the Fed is willing to issue fresh new money without limit.  This has been our monetary policy since 2009.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

Yeah, but at least the Feds can print $$$$, I am more interested/worried about states/local...i.e. CA and others shutting down schools...teachers/staff going w/o pay for the time period?  Highly doubtful....most likely "paid leave" which will add vast sums of money to state/local spending.....followed up by massive reductions in state income tax revenue due to a big drop in economic activity caused by all the shut-downs.  At least the TP industry will see good times!  ;-)

Are you kidding? The CA teachers/staff are very unlikely to go without pay. When things went south in 2008 essentially no government employees were laid off in CA. Obama's bail out money went to both state and federal employees so that they wouldn't take a hit like everyone else was taking. In addition most of them have guaranteed return retirement plans backed up by the taxpayers. While the rest of us with our 401k's massively dived. It was business as usual for them while everyone else was scrambling to survive and stuck with the long term bill.

Offline DB

There's no need to sell bonds as long as the Fed is willing to issue fresh new money without limit.  This has been our monetary policy since 2009.

The nice innocent sounding Quantitative Easing, QE...

Offline libertybele

And buying your own debt with it...

Exactly.  No country is buying our debt (treasuries) right now.  None.  We were too much in debt before this happened.  Meanwhile ... I believe that China is elated.  Could Chinese currency become the world's currency now?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:00:16 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.