Yes
5 (27.8%)
No
13 (72.2%)
Nunya Bidness
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: March 21, 2020, 04:55:07 pm

Author Topic: Panic or stockpiling buying this week?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Panic or stockpiling buying this week?
« on: March 14, 2020, 03:45:17 am »
Has your household done any Panic buying this week?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dancer

Re: Panic or stockpiling buying this week?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 08:58:23 am »
I always keep a 2 week supply of food and items.  Not in a panic, but when you live in a city, there is only a 3 day supply available.  If people panic, it's even worse.  Simple logic as the public is rather deranged these days.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 09:10:25 am »
I always keep a 2 week supply of food and items.  Not in a panic, but when you live in a city, there is only a 3 day supply available.  If people panic, it's even worse.  Simple logic as the public is rather deranged these days.

After going through Rita back in 2005, we learned it is never a good idea not to have less than a month sustenance of normal needs. 

I am more worried about the ramifactions of dealing with the 90% of the population who is not prepared.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 10:01:55 am »
Has your household done any Panic buying this week?

Not panic buying, but preparation. We usually have a well-stocked pantry, but have added to it the past 2 weeks. We also feel somewhat responsible to have enough basics for my elderly mother and our adult children’s families. We live in a part of the country where it’s always a possibility that the winter weather will cause us to be sequestered, so we try to go into the season prepared.
What is the gospel? I’ll put it in a sentence.
The gospel is the news that Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, died for our sins and rose again, eternally triumphant over all his enemies, so that there is now no condemnation for those who believe, but only everlasting joy.
That’s the gospel. (John Piper)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 11:19:04 am »
Where’s the poll?

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 11:19:43 am »
Little things here and there, but nothing major. The stores sure have been busy though.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:56 pm »
No.  Not stockpiling, just adding a little to the stockpile that we already have; probably enough for 4 months or so.  Bought an extra water filter too.  I go out early in the morning before the crowds hit if I need anything.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 02:31:54 pm »
Fixin to go pay my bills and do my once-a-month haul, like usual...
Need coffee, eggs, deli stuff, bread, fresh produce, and goodies like tater chips and ice cream and whatnot.. I will be heavy over to the Costco, but that's because I didn't go there last month.
Everything else, pretty much normal seepage.

And while I am admittedly down in the pantry, well I always am in the spring. And if I felt the need to hole up and forego the monthlies, I can easy make it through June, probably through till hunting season with a little luck fishing.  And that's without hitting my freeze dried stash, or leaning hard to dry goods... which would easy make another year.

So no, I'm sitting pretty. Redneck 101.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 04:30:48 pm »
Mentioned this before:  Every fall I stock up on paper products and other non-perishables in case we have a bad winter and I can't get out to shop.  Even though I whine about the weather, this winter hasn't been all that bad and it seems I have quite a bit of stock left over.  I also keep my freezer full, so I'm not going to starve.  Only thing I might miss will be fresh fruit and vegetables.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 04:55:44 pm »
Where’s the poll?

I added it.  "No" for me, we always keep the pantry full.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 05:11:36 pm »
Thing is, if you are looking to stockpile some things, you might have a hard time finding them now.  I was in the supermarket earlier this week and just for the hell of it, I went down the aisle with all the household cleaners.  The market had some liquid cleaners, including those for the toilet, but if I wanted disinfecting wipes, I was out of luck.  So for fun, when I got home, I went online and checked sources such as Amazon.  They don't have the wipes either.

By the way, the local supermarket is now imposing limits on how many of certain items one can buy, such as the aforementioned cleaning supplies and toilet paper.  it's just a question now of when or if the market will be able to get in shipments of some things. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 05:12:58 pm »
All you need is peanut butter and crackers.   wink777
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 05:22:33 pm »

Protein and carbs.  Food of the Gods!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 05:23:19 pm »
I have 2 deep freezers always full and two refrigerators the result of having two teenage boys that I still keep full ...I buy all my paper supplies once a month at Sams...when I went there the other day everything was gone...I noticed a lot of people were buying baby wipes instead of toilet paper....lol

We stopped at Walmart on the way home and all their paper towels and toilet paper shelves were empty...they had two employees in the center aisle opening cartons of paper towels and toilet paper to customers...2 packages ea....I told Mike this is Venezuela...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
Protein and carbs.  Food of the Gods!

Indeed!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 05:34:38 pm »
Thing is, if you are looking to stockpile some things, you might have a hard time finding them now.  I was in the supermarket earlier this week and just for the hell of it, I went down the aisle with all the household cleaners.  The market had some liquid cleaners, including those for the toilet, but if I wanted disinfecting wipes, I was out of luck.  So for fun, when I got home, I went online and checked sources such as Amazon.  They don't have the wipes either.

Yeah, but I bet you can buy white vinegar all day long by the gallon... Which is my main cleaner and disinfectant anyway.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 05:38:00 pm »
We maintain a decent supply of items, so no.

I went to my local store yesterday for my bourbon, but the lines were crazy, so I figured I'd wait a day...no such luck, crazy lines again, but they moved fast. Had a really nice chat with a lady in line who survived the Paradise fire and recently moved to our town...she was in the "target group" for the virus, but was just as irritated with the hysteria as I am.

Got my bourbon in case you were wondering. wink777
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 06:34:47 pm »

My favorite snack from the time I was a kid.  In our house, dinner was 4:30 pm because that's about the time Dad got home from work and he was hungry.  But long about 9 pm or so, Dad and I were ready for a bedtime snack.  So Dad would sit at one end of the table and I at the other.  Dad had his crackers (saltines) and I had mine (Ritz).  Dad would set the jar of peanut butter in the middle of the table and both of us would dig in.  Back then A&P and Kroger both sold huge jars of peanut butter -- about a gallon size or so.  One of the stores used to sell its own brand in a pail.

I still eat PB and crackers as a snack today.  The H with Michelle Obama and those who say they're no good for you.  In moderation, almost no food is really bad for your health.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:50:09 pm by Applewood »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 06:36:53 pm »
Yeah, but I bet you can buy white vinegar all day long by the gallon... Which is my main cleaner and disinfectant anyway.

I keep vinegar around too.  Great for cleaning windows.  And I learned not long ago that if you mix it with baking soda, it's not a bad drain cleaner.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 06:42:02 pm »

Indeed -- but I also like a smidgen of strawberry or raspberry preserves too.

Another favorite --- peanut butter and graham crackers - no preserves though.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 06:45:06 pm »
My favorite snack from the time I was a kid.  In our house, dinner was 4:30 pm because that's about the time Dad got home from work and he was hungry.  But long about 9 pm or so, Dad and I were ready for a bedtime snack.  So Dad would sit at one end of the table and I at the other.  Dad had his crackers (saltines) and I had mine (Ritz).  Dad would set the jar of peanut butter in the middle of the table and both of us would dig in.  Back then A&P and Kroger both sold huge jars of peanut butter -- about a gallon size or so.  One of the stores used to sell its own brand in a pail.

I still eat PB and crackers as a snack today.  The H with Michelle Obama and those who say they're no good for you.  In moderation, almost no food I really bad for your health.

Ah, she doesn't know squat.  Peanut butter is protein that contains the good kind of fat.  After I had my heart attack while in the hospital we were given peanut butter and graham crackers for a night snack. So stuff it Michael!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 07:12:32 pm »

I still eat PB and crackers as a snack today.  The H with Michelle Obama and those who say they're no good for you.  In moderation, almost no food is really bad for your health.

What a wonderful memory, @Applewood !  I'll bet you treasure those times with your Dad.

And you're right........ both peanut butter and crackers ARE good for you!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 07:15:33 pm »
Indeed -- but I also like a smidgen of strawberry or raspberry preserves too.

Another favorite --- peanut butter and graham crackers - no preserves though.

The preserves complete the picture!

And when you're out west, huckleberry preserves are to die for!  We had them with our peanut butter sandwiches on our Lewis and Clark Trail adventure!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 07:34:52 pm »
I have 2 deep freezers always full and two refrigerators the result of having two teenage boys that I still keep full ...I buy all my paper supplies once a month at Sams...when I went there the other day everything was gone...I noticed a lot of people were buying baby wipes instead of toilet paper....lol

We stopped at Walmart on the way home and all their paper towels and toilet paper shelves were empty...they had two employees in the center aisle opening cartons of paper towels and toilet paper to customers...2 packages ea....I told Mike this is Venezuela...lol

As luck would have it, my freezer decided to die last night.   And fortunately I was able to scoop up the last stand-alone freezer this morning.   There's a run on those, too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 07:35:46 pm »
Good time to be doing Keto and Intermittent Fasting.  For health and saving food stocks.