Author Topic: Texas Coronavirus Updates  (Read 40544 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Texas Coronavirus Update for March 12, 2020
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2020, 02:42:27 pm »
Sounds like a good run.  Best part of the day was my wife got her vegetable plants with no problem.  I tell ya, she is a gardener's gardener.  Plans to have her 400 sq. ft. Corono-garden planted within the next few days.  We should have squash, tomatos, peppers, and others within a month. Maybe even earlier, with the warm spring we are having.

I am still a month off, and doing low-tunnels at that. We won't see much out of the garden till the end of may or june.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2020, 02:45:27 pm »
I am still a month off, and doing low-tunnels at that. We won't see much out of the garden till the end of may or june.
By June my garden will be fried when the 100 degree weather hits.  Truly fried green tomatoes....lol.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2020, 02:47:25 pm »
By June my garden will be fried when the 100 degree weather hits.  Truly fried green tomatoes....lol.

This summer will be awesome with no tourists... But no tourists mean no money, so I am conflicted.  :pondering:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2020, 03:35:41 pm »
Coronavirus prompts Dallas and Houston to close bars and clubs, make restaurants takeout only

Texas Tribune by Stacy Fernández and Sami Sparber March 16, 2020

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/16/coronavirus-prompts-dallas-close-bars-lounges-and-movie-theaters/

Restaurants in Dallas and Harris counties for now may remain open for drive-through, takeout and delivery, but dine-in service will be prohibited.

Nightlife in two of America's largest cities is shut down for at least the next week in an aggressive attempt to slow the spread of the new coronavirus, the mayors of Dallas and Houston announced Monday afternoon.

The move comes after a recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Sunday to cease all gatherings of 50 or more people in the coming eight weeks. On Monday morning, the nation's largest cities — including New York, Los Angeles and Chicago — announced similar measures.

“What we all recognize is that it’s important for us to operate in unanimity as much as possible,” said Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner.

Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson ordered the closing of all Dallas bars, lounges, taverns, nightclubs, gyms and health clubs, theaters, music venues, and entertainment establishments such as arcades and billiard halls.

In Houston's Harris County, only bars were ordered to close, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo announced.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »
So I drove by our local HEB this morning on the way to work thinking that if it didn't look too busy I would go in and pick up a few non-perishable essentials. The parking lot wasn't too full (a little more than normal for a weekday morning) BUT... they had what looked like a Sheriff's deputy at one of the entrances, with a line of people waiting to get in. It looked like they were limiting how many people could go in (maybe one goes in as one comes out?). The entrance at the other end of the store didn't have much traffic, it might have been completely closed. Seeing the wait, I left and continued on to work.

If their goal was to limit the number of people in the store to keep them spread out, they failed: everyone waiting in line were standing back-to-front with not much more distance between them than was normal for people waiting impatiently in a line. Otherwise, I'm not sure what their goal was, since there didn't seem to be a huge crowd of people storming the place. If they wanted to calm things down, putting an armed guard at the entrance seems to me to be the wrong way to do it.
Let it burn.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 08:46:28 pm »
Gov. Abbott activates Texas National Guard for coronavirus response

Houston Chronicle by  Taylor Goldenstein March 17, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Abbott-Texas-National-Guard-activate-coronavirus-15137717.php

“By activating the Texas National Guard, we are ensuring Texas is prepared as we continue to mitigate the spread of COVID-19," Abbott said in a statement. "I am grateful to the men and women of the National Guard for their dedication to serving their fellow Texans, and want to assure the public that this is a precautionary measure to make sure the Texas National Guard has the capability to serve at a moment's notice where they are needed most."

In opening remarks during a teleconference with Texas hospitals Tuesday, Abbott also said the number of Texans tested so far has risen to 1,264, up from 439 as of late Monday. He added that Texas has confirmed 64 cases of COVID19 across 19 counties.

Abbott announced plans to hold a virtual town hall meeting on Thursday at 7 p.m., which will be aired on 14 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. stations across Texas and livestreamed online. Abbott will be joined by top officials from the Department of State Health Services, the Texas Division of Emergency Management and the Texas Education Agency.

More at link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2020, 08:59:28 pm »
Four coronavirus cases connected to Houston rodeo cookoff tent, organizer says

Houston Chronicle by  Emily Foxhall March 16, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Four-coronavirus-cases-connected-to-Houston-rodeo-15136030.php

Everything seemed as usual at the “LPOA Roadkill Cafe” at the Houston rodeo cook-off. A DJ played country, tejano and rock ‘n’ roll music. Brisket, ribs and sausage cooked on the grill.

Among attendees, coronavirus was far from mind. Only after the rodeo closed March 11 did team president Roy Garivey find out the bad news: A Patton Village police officer who tested positive with the virus had been in its tent on the night of Feb. 28.

Three more cases later emerged in connection to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Garivey says he believes all three individuals were in their tent that night — a tent where a majority had a connection to law enforcement.

Some 100 to 150 people attended that night. People might have stayed for the event’s entirety, from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m., or hopped from tent to tent where they had other invitations.

More at link.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2020, 01:40:13 am »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2020, 02:05:04 am »
Cases, Closures and Cancellations: What to Know About Coronavirus in North Texas

NBCDFW  3/17/2020

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/cases-closures-and-cancellations-what-to-know-about-coronavirus-in-north-texas/2331109/

Cases of COVID-19 in North Texas

Monday, the number of presumptive positive cases of the new coronavirus jumped to 42, as Dallas County reported nine new cases Tuesday, which brings the county total to 28. Dallas County reported its number moved to 14 Sunday, but officials said Monday out-of-county residents would no longer be included in the total.

Collin County reported its eighth case Sunday.

Tarrant County announced its sixth confirmed case Tuesday, which was the county's first case that was locally transmitted. The county's fourth positive test was announced Saturday -- a person who was a "close contact" to the American Airlines pilot who tested positive for COVID-19 last week.

Meanwhile, Denton County reported its first presumptive positive case Sunday: a Double Oak man in his 30s who is self-isolating at home.

More at link.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2020, 02:21:40 am »
The Hopkins COVID-19 site reports a Texas fatality, but not have not seen any news report giving details. 

Anyone seen anything?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 03:17:48 am »
The Hopkins COVID-19 site reports a Texas fatality, but not have not seen any news report giving details. 

Anyone seen anything?

Our local 10:00pm news (KXAN-Austin) just reported a second COVID-19 death in Texas, this one in Tarrant County. Article is here -> https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/what-we-know-about-the-36-coronavirus-patients-in-texas/
Let it burn.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2020, 03:24:18 am »
Our local 10:00pm news (KXAN-Austin) just reported a second COVID-19 death in Texas, this one in Tarrant County. Article is here -> https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/what-we-know-about-the-36-coronavirus-patients-in-texas/

Thanks, ...  I had not heard of the first one.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2020, 07:10:31 am »
Had to shake my head a bit, the local Aldi had endcaps full of soup, canned meat, plenty of rice, pasta, and beans.

People have no clue how to stock up anymore.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2020, 12:10:34 pm »

Anyone seen anything?

1st one was a Bay City man, Matagorda county, died before they knew that he had, but he was in his 90's.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2020, 12:12:51 pm »
Had to shake my head a bit, the local Aldi had endcaps full of soup, canned meat, plenty of rice, pasta, and beans.

People have no clue how to stock up anymore.

I had plenty of time last week in a long, long line at Sam's. I told all those in line with me to forget about bottled water. It's not needed at all in a city survival situation. I can't remember how many hurricanes I've prepared for. This may just run a little longer. I told them I had my store of rice and beans and some meat. I don't think I changed any minds.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2020, 02:07:10 am »
Texas coronavirus testing capacity to rise to 20K kits per week, Abbott says

Houston Chronicle by  Taylor Goldenstein March 18, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Texas-coronavirus-testing-capacity-to-rise-to-20K-15140971.php

The state’s coronavirus testing capacity should rise to 15,000 to 20,000 kits per week by the end of this week, Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday.

Abbott spoke at a news conference in Arlington on Wednesday, just moments after the state recorded its third death from the virus. The increased capacity projection was up from Monday when Abbott had said the number of tests available would ramp up to 10,000 tests weekly.

As of Wednesday afternoon, 1,907 people had been tested in Texas, comprising 697 at public labs and 1,210 at private labs. The state’s official count is 83 confirmed cases of COVID-19, but Hearst Newspapers, which is tracking cases based on federal, state and local data and its own reporting, has identified 174 confirmed cases.

More at link.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2020, 03:05:04 am »
Just saw on the news tonight that there are now cases in Lubbock, Wichita Falls & Brownwood. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2020, 03:20:03 am »
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/2020/03/18/first-coronavirus-case-confirmed-brown-county-brownwood-texas-due-travel/2871146001/

BROWNWOOD — The Brownwood-Brown County Health Department on Wednesday confirmed a COVID-19 case here. It is the first confirmed case in the Big Country.

A female patient in her 60s recently traveled internationally, it was reported. She has had limited community contact, officials said.

http://www.wichitafallstx.gov/DocumentCenter/View/33321/Wichita-County-First-Confirmed-COVID-19-Case

Wichita Falls, Texas–TheWichita Falls-Wichita County Public Health Districtreports the first confirmed case of COVID-19in WichitaCounty.The patient is a 64-year-oldWichita County resident whotraveled to Budapest and  Hungary.

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/03/18/lubbock-coronavirus-case-identified-texas-tech-student/

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A third case of coronavirus has been reported in Lubbock, announced by the city at joint news conference on Wednesday night. It is believed to be travel-related.

Texas Tech student tests positive, family quarantined

Texas Tech University says one of their students who returned from Europe is one of the people who has tested positive for coronavirus. TTU says that student has been isolated and their family has been quarantined. The student developed symptoms and was tested at UMC on Monday, March 16.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 03:24:34 am by Elderberry »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2020, 12:11:24 pm »
Lockdown: Laredo City Council Orders Mandatory Quarantine

The order prohibiting gatherings of more than 10 people is the first of its kind in the state.

Texas Scorecard by David Vasquez March 18, 2020

https://texasscorecard.com/local/lockdown-laredo-city-council-orders-mandatory-quarantine/

At midnight on Wednesday, the city of Laredo will become the first city in Texas to go into mandatory lockdown. Late on Tuesday, the city council unanimously approved the two-week lockdown, following contentious debate.

For the next two weeks, citizens will be required to remain quarantined in their homes, only able to leave to work or purchase groceries, food, medicine, or home improvement materials.

The city also mandates that all employers provide health measures, such as hand sanitizer, for employees. Landlords are prohibited from evicting tenants, and public utilities will not be disconnected.

Prior to the city meeting, Mayor Pete Saenz signed an order prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people. Dr. Hector Gonzalez, the city’s health department director, opposed a mandatory lockdown. Several council members shared this sentiment, expressing concerns that a lockdown was a step too far, due to its effects on businesses and people’s ability to feed their families. The quarantine was only approved unanimously after it was decided that citizens would be permitted to go to work.

More at link.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2020, 12:19:13 pm »
Just so those of you who do not know, I work in Katy and I live in Sugar Land.
Yesterday afternoon, I was approached by my boss and asked if I felt like I needed to work from home, and if so that would be okay.
I am only 57, but have COPD, which puts me in a higher risk category.
I have mixed feelings about it.
What I told him was that I wanted the capability to do so, regardless if there is a virus, etc.
(Tax day flood and Harvey came to mind).
He said he would leave the decision up to me.
We only have 13 employees total, so it is critical that we all work, in some form or fashion.
At noon today, I am going home to see if everything works, and I will be one the phone with my co-workers here (who already have the offsite capability) to see if everything is working correctly.
I may be working from home soon.....
...or not.
I haven't really made up my mind one way or the other.

Offline thackney

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2020, 12:33:06 pm »
Just so those of you who do not know, I work in Katy and I live in Sugar Land.
Yesterday afternoon, I was approached by my boss and asked if I felt like I needed to work from home, and if so that would be okay.
I am only 57, but have COPD, which puts me in a higher risk category.
I have mixed feelings about it.
What I told him was that I wanted the capability to do so, regardless if there is a virus, etc.
(Tax day flood and Harvey came to mind).
He said he would leave the decision up to me.
We only have 13 employees total, so it is critical that we all work, in some form or fashion.
At noon today, I am going home to see if everything works, and I will be one the phone with my co-workers here (who already have the offsite capability) to see if everything is working correctly.
I may be working from home soon.....
...or not.

We have been working from home this week.  Hours for everyone cut to 32 hours this morning.  Mont Belvieu, Nat Gas Liquids fractionation facility, storage, and terminal.  A couple construction projects canceled.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2020, 01:12:18 pm »

Just wait till you get to do business in your underpants, and never have to shave. You'll never go back.

Just like being here on TBR.
 :beer:

Offline thackney

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2020, 01:17:05 pm »
Just wait till you get to do business in your underpants, and never have to shave. You'll never go back.

Just like being here on TBR.
 :beer:

Video conferencing requires ready for work from above the waist.  Give some thought to your background view as well.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2020, 01:21:48 pm »
Video conferencing requires ready for work from above the waist.  Give some thought to your background view as well.

I don't do that anymore.

You get what you get.  :whistle:
But then I am a basement geek anyway... Expectations are not very high in the first place. And performance causes most eccentricities to be overlooked.

I like it like that.

Offline thackney

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2020, 01:28:10 pm »
I don't do that anymore.

You get what you get.  :whistle:
But then I am a basement geek anyway... Expectations are not very high in the first place. And performance causes most eccentricities to be overlooked.

I like it like that.

I thought about lining up in my office with the six gun cabinets as background.  But I went for the recliner in the corner instead.