Author Topic: Texas Coronavirus Updates  (Read 40546 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Coronavirus Updates
« on: March 12, 2020, 12:11:13 pm »
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog

Everyone and their dog is doing a Wuhan coronavirus roundup, so let’s make this update Texas-specific (which may make it easier to get into the other roundups).

•  There are currently 19 reported cases in Texas, 13 of those in the Houston area.

•  This New York Times map says 33 cases, which presumably includes foreign and cruise ship evacuees in quarantine at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio.

•  Fortunately, Texas is one of the most prepared states.

•  The already-in-progress Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was closed early at 4 PM yesterday instead of running through March 22.

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=43799
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:15:05 am by corbe »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Texas Coronavirus Update for March 12, 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »
My observations in my corner of SE Texas the past few days...

No panic evident.  Only impact is shelves pretty thin on TP, canned soup, and hand sanitizer
Overall traffic at grocery stores, and Walmart is up....  Maybe 10-15%
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:57:51 pm »
This is a great thread for the people who live in Texas.  goopo
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:13:41 pm »
No panic evident.  Only impact is shelves pretty thin on TP, canned soup, and hand sanitizer

I have wondered what that service Walmart offers is doing ... I am thinking of using it (service where they shop for ya and you let them have it ready to pick up without going in store). My brother that just had a heart attach is using the service.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:38:16 pm »
Sam's and HEB also has Shop Online and pick up at the curb. Probably other stores as well.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 04:43:19 pm »
Our client, Targa Resources (Mont Belvieu east of Houston) last week had everyone prepare to work at home (those that can) and get procedures and software ready.  They wanted everyone to be able to do this on a one day notice.  Yesterday they gave us the notice and today we are all working from home. 

We are a field office engineering and design supporting construction and operations of their plant and terminal.  A couple people will have to be on site, but are to go home after completing needed on site tasks.  NO ONE will be allowed to enter the control rooms without specific authorization.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 08:14:00 pm »
My observations in my corner of SE Texas the past few days...

I wished the Katy area where I work would be the same.
My Co-workers who live here say it's been crazy.

I haven't ventured out in the home Sugar Land area since Sunday.
There was a run on TP and bleach and Lysol at the Sugar Land HEB on Sunday.

I'll bet it is worse today.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 03:23:00 pm »
Just received the message our ISD is closed through next week (Coppell ISD). I'm certain many more will follow suit.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 03:29:28 pm »
Our 3 local universities have extended spring break by one week, then they'll be teaching online for another week.  Supposedly they'll start back to school the first week of April.  I'd expect our local public schools to follow suit.  I hear some of the state agencies did a trial run this past Tuesday on letting employees work from home and all seemed to work fine.  Guess they'll be starting this soon.

No toilet paper, Lysol or hand sanitizer to be found anywhere around here.  Crazy...….
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:31:09 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 05:37:36 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 06:50:15 pm »
   Fiesta ~ San Antonio postponed.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,394955.0.html
Just heard that UT has decided to extend spring break a week, but it was still up in the air if they were going to have the students return, or finish the semester online.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 11:11:03 pm »
Gov. Abbott declares state of disaster over coronavirus; drive-by testing coming to Houston

Houston Chronicle by  Taylor Goldenstein March 13, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/greg-abbott-texas-state-disaster-coronavirus-drive-15129401.php

Gov. Greg Abbott declared a state of disaster Friday over the coronavirus pandemic, making it the latest state of 35 to do so.

As of Friday, there were 39 confirmed cases in Texas, including one in San Antonio, eight in Harris County and six in Fort Bend County, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.

The state’s first drive-up testing station will be opened in San Antonio, Abbott said. He added that drive-by testing will soon also be available in Houston, Dallas and Austin.

He said the state has tested 220 Texans so far for the virus and he expects public labs to exponentially increase the capacity next week. The labs will be able to test several thousand people a week.

More at link.

Offline DB

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 11:18:35 pm »
This "drive-by testing" isn't really testing. It is just sample collection.

It has to be analyzed at a lab. That's going to be the major bottle neck. By doing massive sample collection without the lab resources behind it it could turn into a mess as far as getting results back.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:11:55 pm by DB »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 12:34:22 am »
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/13/drive-through-coronavirus-testing-comes-san-antonio-texas/

Drive-through testing should account for “hundreds of tests” per day, said Charles Lerner, an epidemiologist based in San Antonio. The tests have a turnaround of three to four days, he said.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 01:15:37 am »
Gov. Abbott declares state of disaster over coronavirus; drive-by testing coming to Houston

Houston Chronicle by  Taylor Goldenstein March 13, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/greg-abbott-texas-state-disaster-coronavirus-drive-15129401.php
I wonder what the difference is in calling a state of disaster vs state of emergency?

Article says 35 other states have called it disaster, but I find other states mostly call it emergency.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 01:37:08 am »
  I went to my Favorite Brewery and Mesican Cantina tonight, always packed on Friday afternoons/Nights, both dead, all waitresses wearing gloves.
  I was about to leave when Alicia decided to restock the opposite Bar in front of me and after I realized she wasn't wearing any panties underneath her tight Levis, I decided to stay a bit longer than I usually do.

Yes, I tipped her, 3 rolls of Toilet Paper.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 11:56:13 am »
UT confirms its first case of COVID-19 — the president’s wife

Houston Chronicle by  Brittany Britto March 13, 2020

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/education/article/HCC-UT-TSU-cancel-classes-coronavirus-pandemic-15129505.php

The University of Texas at Austin confirmed its first case of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, Friday morning, President Gregory L. Fenves said.

In a letter to the university community, Fenves said that it was his wife Carmel who tested positive for the virus after traveling to New York for several events with alumni and students last week.

“After the trip, Carmel started exhibiting mild flu-like symptoms. She tested negative for the flu yesterday and was then tested for COVID-19. This morning at 5:30 a.m., we received the news that she had tested positive,” Fenves wrote. “This news came several hours after local health officials had announced two other, separate cases in Travis County.”

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 01:54:55 pm »
  I went to my Favorite Brewery and Mesican Cantina tonight, always packed on Friday afternoons/Nights, both dead, all waitresses wearing gloves.
  I was about to leave when Alicia decided to restock the opposite Bar in front of me and after I realized she wasn't wearing any panties underneath her tight Levis, I decided to stay a bit longer than I usually do.

Yes, I tipped her, 3 rolls of Toilet Paper.

LOL.

Yep, I think I would have had to hang around, too.
I bought a new truck 4 weeks ago.
Going to go get the plates for it in about 15 minutes.
I wonder what it will be like at the dealership?

Later, we are going to a barbeque at a friends house a mile away.
We figure 1 to 2 dozen people will show up.
This could be the last get-together for a while.

Final note:
Our youngest child, 35 year old son, got divorced last year and moved back home.
He works with me now.
He went to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo cook-off on 2/28/20.
3 people who went to the same event came down positive for Corona virus.
Last Wednesday, he went to an urgent care facility, with a cough and congestion.
No, he did not have corona virus, but it didn't stop people at my work from beginning to panic.
He supervisor said they would not come to work on Monday unless he was tested.
He called his Primary Dr., (Who is also mine), and he was told he didn't need to be tested.
After all, he never had a fever and it had been 2 weeks since the Rodeo cook-off.
My wife and I, and his co-workers, have been around him this whole time (including that supervisor) since, and no one got sick.
Except my son, of course, but I believe it was allergy related, crazy oak pollen now.
Our Dr. said as much.

"May you live in interesting times"

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 02:07:58 pm »

"May you live in interesting times"

Really liked your write up GT. 

My observations for the week, included a couple of check up related visits to our M.D.  Both who shared outrage of how the mania with this event is being perpetuated.  One even mentioned that he might retire.  Tired of stupidity gone amok.

The TP saga is the biggest enigma of all.  Yesterday, while out I saw about 8 cars in front of one of our Dollar Generals, and I knew something was up.  And wow, there was supply.  we got our couple of packages , but needless to say, I saw 3 buggies stacked halfway to the ceiling with the magic paper. 

Then there was the Walmart visit the day before.  Saw a near fight over a 3 pack of disinfectant wipes.  Forget the fact, there were still a half dozen or so containers of bleach left on the shelves. 

Sad state of affairs.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 02:15:53 pm »
   I went to Dairy Queen yesterday, first time in years, bought the combo and as I was filling my drink, I noticed the napkin dispenser empty which I brought to their attention, her reply 'we only give napkins when we bring out your order' guess people were stealing those.  Last night at the Cantina rumours were flying that HEB's were gonna shut down.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 02:19:36 pm »
Last night at the Cantina rumours were flying that HEB's were gonna shut down.

My HEB has had a parking lot full continuously since this crisis.  What would facilate shutting them down, unless they are anticpating major supply chain disruptions?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 02:22:37 pm »
H-E-B trims hours as coronavirus-related demand spikes

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Grocers-rush-to-restock-as-coronavirus-related-15129078.php
 R.A. Schuetz and Paul Takahashi March 13, 2020

Anxious shoppers, spurred by fears of the spread of the novel coronavirus, have rushed to local supermarkets, leading to long lines, empty shelves and an increase in curbside pickups and home deliveries.

The flood of consumption has taxed grocers to the point that San Antonio-based H-E-B announced Friday afternoon that it would reduce its store hours to help meet demand. The company’s grocery stores, which also include Joe V’s Smart Shop, Mi Tienda and Central Market, will be open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. until further notice.

The Montrose H-E-B, busily restocking Friday morning, posted a message on its Facebook page attempting to calm the crowds.

“Customers should not panic, as we are continuing to restock shelves around-the-clock,” it said. “We are encouraging preparedness, not stockpiling — please buy what you need and leave some for your neighbor behind you. We are in this as a community and it’s important to keep calm.”

Kroger also asked customers to refrain from panic-buying. “We are not going to close our stores, and we will be open and we will be here to service customers and their families,” said Joe Kelley, president of Kroger’s Houston division.

More at link.

Offline corbe

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 02:25:54 pm »
H-E-B changing hours at Houston stores to keep shelves re-stocked

Local grocery chains are responding to coronavirus-related panic shopping although the stores are prepared to keep shelves stocked.

Author: Doug Delony, Ciara Rouege (KHOU)
Published: 10:48 AM CDT March 13, 2020
Updated: 8:36 AM CDT March 14, 2020

HOUSTON — UPDATE Friday 7:45 p.m. — All H-E-B, Joe V’s Smart Shop, Mi Tienda and Central Market stores in the Houston area will shift to modified hours beginning at 8 p.m. Friday to help "keep our shelves stocked and help ensure our customers can secure the products they need as quickly as possible," the store announced on Twitter.

Beginning Saturday, new hours for Houston stores will be 8 a.m.-8 p.m.

"We will return to our regular hours and full services as quickly as possible," the store wrote. "Together, we can do our part to #SlowtheSpreadTexas.
"Please remember that while preparation is important, panic is not necessary."

<..snip..>

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/virus-update-h-e-b-says-customers-should-not-panic-please-buy-what-you-need-leave-some-for-your-neighbor/285-442e19b4-7f7d-4ec4-8b99-4d969e574a00

Offline Idiot

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 03:58:41 pm »
H-E-B changing hours at Houston stores to keep shelves re-stocked

Local grocery chains are responding to coronavirus-related panic shopping although the stores are prepared to keep shelves stocked.

Author: Doug Delony, Ciara Rouege (KHOU)
Published: 10:48 AM CDT March 13, 2020
Updated: 8:36 AM CDT March 14, 2020

HOUSTON — UPDATE Friday 7:45 p.m. — All H-E-B, Joe V’s Smart Shop, Mi Tienda and Central Market stores in the Houston area will shift to modified hours beginning at 8 p.m. Friday to help "keep our shelves stocked and help ensure our customers can secure the products they need as quickly as possible," the store announced on Twitter.

Beginning Saturday, new hours for Houston stores will be 8 a.m.-8 p.m.

"We will return to our regular hours and full services as quickly as possible," the store wrote. "Together, we can do our part to #SlowtheSpreadTexas.
"Please remember that while preparation is important, panic is not necessary."

<..snip..>

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/virus-update-h-e-b-says-customers-should-not-panic-please-buy-what-you-need-leave-some-for-your-neighbor/285-442e19b4-7f7d-4ec4-8b99-4d969e574a00
I received an email from a rather large church I attend last night.  They were encouraging all of the senior citizens to stay at home and not attend services. 

And of course the crowd at HEB yesterday was quite amazing....pure panic buying.

Offline corbe

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 05:18:24 pm »
   RioFrio Festival is still going on, as planned.

http://www.riofriofest.com/