Author Topic: 12 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread  (Read 1330 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
12 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:12:02 am »
12:05 a.m. CDT

DJIA Futures - 22,871,  -3.0%
S&P 500 Futures-  -75, -2.7%
NASDAQ Futures- -250, -3.1%

Gold- $1635/oz.

WTI- $31.69/bbl (ugh)

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: 12 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 05:28:15 am »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1215299143066947584

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
STOCK MARKET AT ALL-TIME HIGH! HOW ARE YOUR 401K’S DOING? 70%, 80%, 90% up? Only 50% up! What are you doing wrong?
9:47 AM · Jan 9, 2020

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:07:35 pm »
7:00 a.m. CDT updates

DJIA Futures- down 1,231pts,  down 5.2%. Note:  A close of a few hundred more points than this will cross that psychological bear market correction line.
NASDAQ Futures - down 398 pts, down 5.0%
S&P 500 Futures-  down 132 pts, down 4.8%

Nikkei- Closed down 4.4%
Han Seng Closed down 3.7%
FTSE- Down 6.0%
CAC -Down 6.0%
DAX- Down 6.0%

Gold- $1,640 oz. Gold has remarkedly stayed much less volatile.  That is a good sign, that those in the inside don't see an armagaddon market scenario.

WTI- $30.99/bbl

Folks, watch for a huge drop at opening, with Circuit breakers likely being invoked.  A lot of futures of industries associated with travel..  Cruise Line, Airlines, etc, are see 20% losses in stock prices.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 12:12:40 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:01:29 pm »
8:00 a.m. CDT updates

DJIA Futures- down 1,231pts,  down 5.2%. No change.  Equity lkely taking account circuit breaker at opening
NASDAQ Futures - down 402 pts, down 5.0%
S&P 500 Futures-  down 139 pts, down 5.1%

FTSE- Down 6.0%
CAC -Down 6.6%
DAX- Down 6.0%

Gold- $1,611 oz.

WTI- $30.87/bbl

VIX- 61.59  9999hair out0000

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 01:01:54 pm »
I think I jinxed it yesterday when I said “no whammies”

Should I say “whammies” and see if we get no whammies? FTSE is down over 6%. I haven’t checked other European or Asian markets yet. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »
I think I jinxed it yesterday when I said “no whammies”

Should I say “whammies” and see if we get no whammies? FTSE is down over 6%. I haven’t checked other European or Asian markets yet.

Whammy will be theme at opening.  No doubt about it.  I just want some semblence of stability before making some investment calls.  At least at my age.  If I was 25 again, I'd be going crazy in buy mode on some of the most oversold

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Idiot

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 01:27:20 pm »

Whammy will be theme at opening.  No doubt about it.  I just want some semblence of stability before making some investment calls.  At least at my age.  If I was 25 again, I'd be going crazy in buy mode on some of the most oversold
Don't jump in now....wait until the lows are tested AGAIN....then it's safe to test the waters.  I have my eye on a couple of local bank stocks that are on sale.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 01:28:09 pm by mrpotatohead »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 01:42:26 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 01:51:14 pm »
Stocks plummet after Trump restricts travel to US from Europe
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/487188-stocks-plummet-after-trump-restricts-travel-to-us-from-europe

Market will reopen in the next few minutes.  Lot of people holding on to their seats.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »

Yep, but you or I did not have the money to do it back then most likely.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 01:53:24 pm »
Market will reopen in the next few minutes.  Lot of people holding on to their seats.

Market drop approaching 2000.  Forgot what he secondary breaker is, but we can't be far.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 02:44:29 pm »
London’s FTSE 100/stock index suffers worst day since Black Monday 1987

https://www.marketwatch.com/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 02:47:17 pm »
Did anyone really think Trump's remarks yesterday or anything he and congress come up with will slow or reverse this slide?

It's' going to have to run its course. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 03:09:24 pm »
SPX futures hit 2500 on the open w/a big volume spike, which is where I measured the low. It's bounced since, see if that holds.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 03:57:04 pm »
Currently market is down over 2,000 pts., with futures down also over 2,000 pts.  So the potential is for the market to lose 4,000 pts. in the next 2 days.

Glad we reduced most of our risk and exposure.  We also own physical gold and silver which we bought years ago which I am thankful for.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 03:59:48 pm »
Yikes.  Just looked --- Gold is also taking a beating.   :shrug:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 04:03:35 pm »
Coronavirus to pop bubble greater than 2008; gold prices have "nowhere to go but up"

(Kitco News) - A recession of a magnitude larger than the 2008 financial crisis is about to be triggered by the coronavirus, with problems rooted in excess levels of debt, this according to Peter Schiff, CEO of Euro Pacific Capital.

Following a market downturn, an excess supply of capital is likely to flood the markets and drive up inflation, both of which would be bullish for gold, he said.

"I think that people have got this wrong, everybody is looking at this event as deflationary, but it is actually the opposite. You're going to have a reduction of production, so less supply of goods, and the world is going to be flooded with money," Schiff told Kitco News. "As if this will make a difference, it's just going to make a bad situation worse."

Schiff said that the underlying problems in our economy are now worse than what they were in 2008.

"The 2008 financial crisis was started by a drop in real estate prices, this one is started by the coronavirus. What's causing the crisis is not the pins, it's the bubble; it's the debt. It's because of all the debt we had a crisis in 2008, and because we have even more debt now, this is going to usher in an even bigger financial crisis," he said.

The bear market has already started, Schiff added, saying that a recession may start this quarter and that economic data may be revised.

"It's the financials that are really getting killed, and the reason they're getting killed is they're holding all the bad paper. They have made all the loans that are not going to get repaid, so this is just like 2008, only it's not just the banks that are going to need a bailout, it's the hotels, its' the airlines, it's companies like Boeing, it's the cruise lines," he said.

Gold prices have met resistance during the recent stock market selloff, but Schiff said that gold will still retain its safe haven asset.

"Gold is going to be the only safe haven left standing," Schiff said, adding that gold has historically fallen alongside equities in the opening phases of a bear market.

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-03-12/Coronavirus-to-pop-bubble-greater-than-2008-gold-prices-have-nowhere-to-go-but-up.html

Online catfish1957

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 04:06:34 pm »
Yikes.  Just looked --- Gold is also taking a beating.   :shrug:

A day or two ago, I mentioned a bit about the Late '60's Early '70's "Stagflation" situation that might be happening as the planets align. 

Equities, bonds, currencies, commodities, precious metals all shrinking simultaneously?  A discreet possibility.

Online catfish1957

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 04:12:59 pm »
The one green spec of sand my chart is the rates for 30 Yr T Bonds, up over 3% today.

Yes, sadly a flight to safety.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »
A day or two ago, I mentioned a bit about the Late '60's Early '70's "Stagflation" situation that might be happening as the planets align. 

Equities, bonds, currencies, commodities, precious metals all shrinking simultaneously?  A discreet possibility.

It's a possibility.  We didn't starting investing until the early '90's, so I'm not in tune with what happened back in the '60's and 70's. Stagflation, not so sure of, I've read a  couple of articles that have indicated inflation because people will be getting out of the markets, and stockpiling cash and consumer demand will be down.

IMHO we are in absolute uncertainty and I don't think past stats or charts are reliable.  Each of us has to make a decision with our investments and assets. Personally right now holding gold, silver, very little in common stock, a few diversified funds, cash, lots of food and other necessities.

Very thankful that we sold our house 18 months ago and paid off all our debt; downsized and our expenses are manageable, we just have to be careful as we will no longer be getting the dividends that we are used to.  If we hadn't done this, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 04:22:11 pm »
Could we see a 2,500pt. drop for a single Dow day?
Circuit breakers or not?

Online catfish1957

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 04:24:44 pm »
Could we see a 2,500pt. drop for a single Dow day?
Circuit breakers or not?

I don't see any good news on the horizon (fin wise) that would keep us from going there.  Too much fear.  Some valid, some not.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 04:32:51 pm »
The one green spec of sand my chart is the rates for 30 Yr T Bonds, up over 3% today.

Yes, sadly a flight to safety.

Most of us would take that 3% over losing money (unfortunately -- we've lost some and lost our gains - makes me sick). I feel for the people who have nothing to fall back on or are in debt.  I see another possible housing collapse and people upside down on their mortgages again.  We are also holding an annuity that we purchased back in the early '90's that's paying 3.5%, holding a few CD's at 2.5% - 3%)  --- I'll take some gain over no gain.  Yes, I praying that the market will eventually come back, but again, I believe we are in uncharted territory -- anyone's guess.

Also -- concerned about annuities.  In order to pay the returns, they have to invest their money somewhere -- lots of retirees have been talked to putting their entire nest egg into an annuity -- maybe a possibility of those become insolvent?  They aren't FDIC insured.

Online catfish1957

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2020, 04:40:14 pm »
Most of us would take that 3% over losing money (unfortunately -- we've lost some and lost our gains - makes me sick). I feel for the people who have nothing to fall back on or are in debt.  I see another possible housing collapse and people upside down on their mortgages again.  We are also holding an annuity that we purchased back in the early '90's that's paying 3.5%, holding a few CD's at 2.5% - 3%)  --- I'll take some gain over no gain.  Yes, I praying that the market will eventually come back, but again, I believe we are in uncharted territory -- anyone's guess.

Also -- concerned about annuities.  In order to pay the returns, they have to invest their money somewhere -- lots of retirees have been talked to putting their entire nest egg into an annuity -- maybe a possibility of those become insolvent?  They aren't FDIC insured.

LB, 30 yr T Bonds rates are up 3% for the day. Actual rate is (yuck) 1.2%.  Sorry I wasn't clearer on that

Supposedly, annuities are the safest investment on earth according to the couple  CFP's that I know. BAsically they said that entire insurance world is tied  the fulcrum of Lloyds of London.  For all of that finance base to be lost, would be akin to the end of civilization.  Whether. I beleive that or not, is a whole another discussion.