Author Topic: 11 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread  (Read 724 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
11 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread
« on: March 11, 2020, 10:11:03 am »
11 March 2020 04:57 a.m. CDT

Dow Futures- - 24,419 (-1.73%)

FTSE (UK) (+0.38%)
DAX (Germany) (+1.37%)
CAC (France) (+1.38%)
NIKKEI (Japan) Closed  (-2.27%)
HANG SENG (HK)- Closed (-0.63%)
ASX (Australia) - Closed (-4.04%)

Gold- $1660/oz.

WTI- $33.17/bbl

Dollar weaker, with most other major currencies up .1- .5% against the $.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:12:08 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: 11 Mar 2020- Stock and Financial Markets Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:31:23 pm »
Was hoping for some stability this morning, but VIX has climbed up to 54, and DJIA futures are showing (one hour to opening) an expected 700 point drop.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 12:42:47 pm »
Was hoping for some stability this morning, but VIX has climbed up to 54, and DJIA futures are showing (one hour to opening) an expected 700 point drop.

I don't think we're anywhere near the bottom (a 40% sell off has been predicted by some).

The U.S.has now reached over 1,000 people infected with the coronavirus.  More than half of our states have corona cases.  Considering just a few weeks ago, only 2 cases were reported in CA; this virus spreads rapidly.

...then there's the oil issue .....

I don't think stability is coming anytime soon.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 12:50:36 pm »
I don't think we're anywhere near the bottom (a 40% sell off has been predicted by some).

The U.S.has now reached over 1,000 people infected with the coronavirus.  More than half of our states have corona cases.  Considering just a few weeks ago, only 2 cases were reported in CA; this virus spreads rapidly.

...then there's the oil issue .....

I don't think stability is coming anytime soon.

The COVID-19 issue and oil price wars are almost like a perfect storm.  A true one-two punch of two issues that feed each other into a sprial. (Demand/Supply/Price).  The real true next good news we get, is when either (1) cases start declining world wide, or (2) a vaccine has be perfecteed and is ready to mass produce., or (3) This game of chicken with oil producing countries stops and reverses. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 12:53:50 pm »
Today’s stock market.

No whammies. Please.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:33 pm »
The COVID-19 issue and oil price wars are almost like a perfect storm.  A true one-two punch of two issues that feed each other into a sprial. (Demand/Supply/Price).  The real true next good news we get, is when either (1) cases start declining world wide, or (2) a vaccine has be perfecteed and is ready to mass produce., or (3) This game of chicken with oil producing countries stops and reverses.

We will soon find out if the virus is affected by temperature like the flu; if so the markets may calm.  Otherwise, that vaccine can't come quick enough.  As for oil ... it's anyone's guess how and when those issues may resolve.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 01:45:08 pm »
Dang. Lots of whammies today.  8888crybaby
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 06:28:47 pm »
Headlines are not good ---

Coronavirus stock selloff means bull market will ‘soon end’, says Goldman — sees S&P 500 falling another 15%

Top strategist sees S&P 500 at 2,450 by midyear, followed by birth of a new bull market

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/goldman-says-coronavirus-will-end-bull-market-for-stocks-sees-sp-500-falling-another-15-2020-03-11?mod=home-page

Online catfish1957

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 06:34:32 pm »
Headlines are not good ---

Coronavirus stock selloff means bull market will ‘soon end’, says Goldman — sees S&P 500 falling another 15%

Top strategist sees S&P 500 at 2,450 by midyear, followed by birth of a new bull market

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/goldman-says-coronavirus-will-end-bull-market-for-stocks-sees-sp-500-falling-another-15-2020-03-11?mod=home-page

I am also hearing grumblings of stagflation.  Very plausible when you see the perfect storm if there is a continued simutaneous collapse of equities and bonds.  This would be new ground for me, as these condtions haven't been around in earnest since the mid 1970's.  Thank God, I positioned myself long on bonds a few years back.

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 06:55:12 pm »
US stocks continue risk-off, margin calls driving market declines

US regulators activated "circuit breakers" in stocks designed to limit losses for the NY Stock Exchange & NASDAQ. Both exchanges were set to open with 5% losses this morning, as investors continue to hoard cash. The market sell-off is global, with Japan's stock Nikkei Index down over 5.6% and the German DAX down nearly 8% on the day. Margin calls are forcing the liquidation of many bellwether stocks to cover losses in other areas, creating a vicious cycle of selling.

As of Friday last week, over 20% of market positions held by institutional investors (banks, hedge funds, pension funds etc) were based on margin - money borrowed to purchase stocks or futures positions, with other stocks pledged as collateral. As stocks begin to decline, the lenders (typically large investment banks or stock brokerages) make a margin call, which automatically forces the sale of the stocks that are the collateral for the loan, to cover the losses of the stocks purchased by the loan.

This forced-selling leads to further stock market declines, and then even more stocks must be sold to cover other stocks held on margin - that is, stocks which had been purchased via loans that must now be paid back. Investment banks typically accept only higher-quality assets and stocks as collateral: Bellwether stocks such as the DOW Jones, Fortune 100 type companies, or other "safe" assets such as gold, silver, even commodities like oil and natural gas, etc.

All assets seem to decline at once, but much of it is because algorithms are causing the forced sale of assets to cover the 20% of the market that was purchased based on margin loans, which now need to be covered.

https://www.glennbeck.com/glenn-beck/us-stocks-continue-risk-off-margin-calls-driving-market-declines

Online catfish1957

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 07:09:30 pm »
2:05 p.m CST

DJIA- Down 5.5%
NASDAQ- Down 4.4%
S&P- Down 5.0%

Gold- Down 1%

WTI- Down 5.6%

30 yr. TBond Rate- Up 5%
15 yr. TBond Rate- Up 8%

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »
bele wrote:
"...then there's the oil issue .....
I don't think stability is coming anytime soon."

Is it time for this yet?

(wait until the Friday sell-off...)

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 10:04:43 pm »
bele wrote:
"...then there's the oil issue .....
I don't think stability is coming anytime soon."

Is it time for this yet?

(wait until the Friday sell-off...)

We'll see if Trump's speech tonight has any type of positive impact on the market.  Meanwhile, futures are down right now over 1,200 pts.

Online catfish1957

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 10:14:37 pm »
We'll see if Trump's speech tonight has any type of positive impact on the market.  Meanwhile, futures are down right now over 1,200 pts.

I'm seeing it up 138 its.  Of course, in the course of this market, it could be down a 1000 in 10 minutes.