Author Topic: OPEC-Russia oil price war escalates as Saudi Aramco announces supply increase  (Read 826 times)

Online corbe

OPEC-Russia oil price war escalates as Saudi Aramco announces supply increase

Ben Geman

The new oil price war escalated Tuesday as Saudi state oil giant Aramco announced, per reports in Reuters and elsewhere, that it plans to supply the market with 12.3 million barrels per day starting next month.

Why it matters: The increase underscores how the lunge for market share with the collapse of the OPEC+ agreement is going to create financial pain and problems for producers and governments worldwide.

"Moscow responded within minutes in what looked like a war of words, with Alexander Novak, the country’s energy minister, saying Russia had the ability to boost production by 500,000 barrels a day," Bloomberg reports.

Driving the news: U.S. shale producers are quickly feeling the effects of Russia's decision to abandon joint supply curbs with OPEC, with their stocks dropping sharply across the industry.

<..snip..>

https://www.axios.com/opec-russia-oil-price-war-saudi-aramco-production-751d66f0-6741-479f-9349-7af7fe364c7b.html
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Bu-bu-bu-but I thought the price war has nothing to do with the collapse of world oil prices yesterday?  It was all about the CIVD-19 scare?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

Bu-bu-bu-but I thought the price war has nothing to do with the collapse of world oil prices yesterday?  It was all about the CIVD-19 scare?

The price war between Saudi and Russia is in response to the Corornavirus.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The price war between Saudi and Russia is in response to the Corornavirus.

Opportunity knocks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

Opportunity knocks.

Of course, but if not for the fall in demand, they would not be arguing over production cuts to match it.

In stunning reversal, IEA now sees oil demand falling this year
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-stunning-reversal-iea-now-sees-oil-demand-falling-this-year-2020-03-09

The International Energy Agency on Monday issued a stunning forecast, now projecting oil demand to fall this year on the same day prices collapsed by some 20%.

The IEA cut its global oil demand view, now seeing a 90,000 barrel a day decline this year, from a previous forecast of an 825,000 barrels a day increase.

“The coronavirus crisis is affecting a wide range of energy markets – including coal, gas and renewables – but its impact on oil markets is particularly severe because it is stopping people and goods from moving around, dealing a heavy blow to demand for transport fuels,” said Fatih Birol, the IEA’s executive director, in a statement....

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Opportunity knocks.
The opportunity should be that low prices drive a stake through the heart of renewables once and for all.

Alas  there are now too many with vested interests in seeing the unjustifiable remain alive to torment Americans further
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Lower oil prices are beneficial to our overall economy. 
Personally, dropping oil prices could cost me my upstream job, but they will also create for me a downstream job due to lower raw material costs.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

Personally, dropping oil prices could cost me my upstream job, but they will also create for me a downstream job due to lower raw material costs.

There has been quite an advantage to being a switch hitter.  Up, down and midstream...

Online corbe

The Great Oil War of 2020 Has Begun. Can Russia Win?

Russia enters this oil price war with two overarching objectives: drive U.S. producers out of business, and expose Riyadh to the limits of American support. Will Putin prevail?

by Nikolas K. Gvosdev

After the latest round of U.S. sanctions against Russia was signed into law last year, Russian president Vladimir Putin warned that Russia would retaliate at a time and place of its own choosing. Wrecking the OPEC-Plus arrangement and provoking a demolition-derby price war with Saudi Arabia may seem to be an odd and puzzling way to respond, but there may be a method to that madness. I believe that the Kremlin is gambling that, by year’s end, it will be able to not only push back against the United States but also to reconstruct its partnership with Saudi Arabia.

One of the major flaws of U.S. politicians is their bad habit of loudly proclaiming their strategies months or even years in advance, giving their adversaries plenty of time to prepare. Over the past two years, members of Congress have made it absolutely clear that Russia’s Ukraine bypass pipeline projects—Turkish Stream and Nordstream-2—were in their crosshairs. Moscow attempted to accelerate the completion of these projects before a slow-moving U.S. legislative process could finalize another round of punitive sanctions. Turkish Stream was completed just in time and is already sending Russian energy to Turkey and Southern Europe. Meanwhile, Nordstream-2 would have made it if it hadn't been for those pesky Danes and their environmental protection processes, which held up work on Nordstream just long enough for an eleventh-hour U.S. sanctions push. Even with that assistance—and thanks to a spat with Denmark over a possible sale of Greenland—Moscow had so much advanced warning that it asked its European contractors to focus on the most technically challenging parts of the line first. Gazprom possesses the technical capacity to finish the line—way behind schedule, to be sure—but Nordstream is likely to be completed by the end of 2020. Yes, the delay was sufficient enough to compel Russia to continue to use Ukraine for some export transit, but Moscow’s position in the European energy markets remains largely intact.

So the backup U.S. plan has been to encourage Europeans, while Nordstream remains unfinished, to buy more energy produced from North American sources. Indeed, an important part of U.S. strategy in a new era of great-power competition is to compete with Russia for energy markets and to diminish the resources Moscow can accrue as an energy exporter.

<..snip..>

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/middle-east-watch/great-oil-war-2020-has-begun-can-russia-win-131187
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

oil prices cannot remain low for long.  They will shoot back up.

Hang in there
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington