Author Topic: Real ID is Finally Coming  (Read 1075 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Real ID is Finally Coming
« on: March 10, 2020, 09:11:58 am »
Real ID is Finally Coming
By Jack Martin   February 25, 2020

An article in Vox.com notes the looming October 1 deadline for implementation of the federally mandated Real ID program for secure driver’s licenses  (DLs). This deadline is the culmination of the law enacted in 2005 that was a response to the discovery that several of the 9/11 terrorists had illegitimate state DLs that they used for boarding the planes they hijacked for their attack.

The article notes the long campaign of the ACLU and others, including illegal alien defenders, in opposition to the law’s implementation. They argue that by establishing uniform standards for a state to verify a DL applicant’s identity, the U.S. is in effect establishing a national identity system. Alien advocates worry that it will discriminate against illegal alien residents and enhance deportation efforts.

The Vox article describes how legal temporary and permanent foreign residents have the documents necessary to obtain the new secure DLs and that Real ID does not discriminate against foreigners per se. Illegal resident aliens, however, will not have the visas or green cards required to verify legal residence. Several states have decided to issue DLs to illegal resident aliens, but under the Real ID requirements, they must do so by means of a different DL that is distinguishable as not Real ID compliant. These alternative DLs will not be accepted for federal purposes such as boarding airline flights and entering federal buildings where required.

Read more at: https://www.immigrationreform.com/2020/02/25/drivers-licenses-illegals-real-id-immigrationreform-com/

I know this has been discussed, I forget if it was discussed much here.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Real ID is Finally Coming
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:26:45 pm »
I know this has been discussed, I forget if it was discussed much here.

Mrs. Liberty and I just got ours applied for last week, even though we have no desires to travel by plane or train.  They are also necessary to enter Federal buildings.  The mail will be bringing us the licenses in a few days.

Advice for those planning on getting them:  Go online to your state's DMV (or whatever it's called there) and find out what IDs they require.  In AZ I needed a Birth Certificate, proof of a SS number (either from tax forms or a SS card) and a couple of pieces of mail from businesses (to verify address), while Mrs. Liberty also needed our Marriage Certificate to verify her name change.  Any name change from the Birth Certificate needs documentation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
Mrs. Liberty and I just got ours applied for last week, even though we have no desires to travel by plane or train.  They are also necessary to enter Federal buildings.  The mail will be bringing us the licenses in a few days.

Advice for those planning on getting them:  Go online to your state's DMV (or whatever it's called there) and find out what IDs they require.  In AZ I needed a Birth Certificate, proof of a SS number (either from tax forms or a SS card) and a couple of pieces of mail from businesses (to verify address), while Mrs. Liberty also needed our Marriage Certificate to verify her name change.  Any name change from the Birth Certificate needs documentation.

We have a friend who's spelling on their birth certificate was different than the spelling used by her parents her whole life.  Only discovered it when she got married.  She cannot get minor federal clearance to get her TWIC card, and consequently cannot drive the truck to deliver cotton or grain to the port.  They have spent too many dollars trying to get it cleared up without success for years.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 05:12:13 pm »
We have a friend who's spelling on their birth certificate was different than the spelling used by her parents her whole life.  Only discovered it when she got married.  She cannot get minor federal clearance to get her TWIC card, and consequently cannot drive the truck to deliver cotton or grain to the port.  They have spent too many dollars trying to get it cleared up without success for years.

That's about as bad as getting on the "Can't buy a gun" list the government keeps, by incompetent government drones.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »
My driver’s license expires next year. It’s mandatory I get it. I have to get an updated license since I moved and since I lost a lot of weight. I just keep putting it off. Who wants to go to the dmv? 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:18:36 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 05:21:48 pm »
That's about as bad as getting on the "Can't buy a gun" list the government keeps, by incompetent government drones.

It looks like she is going to have to try a legal name change to the name she has used her whole life.  But there is some doubt she will afterwards.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 05:24:23 pm »
My driver’s license expires next year. It’s mandatory I get it. I have to get an updated license since I moved and since I lost a lot of weight. I just keep putting it off. Who wants to go to the dmv?

Not me, that's for darned sure.  I handle almost all MVD duties online. 

We had to go last week because Mrs. Liberty's license was expiring, and I decided to get the new ID while we were there.  We live in a smallish city, barely large enough to sustain a MVD office.  One can make an appointment to do MVD business now, so we were both in and out in <15 minutes. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 05:25:30 pm »
It looks like she is going to have to try a legal name change to the name she has used her whole life.  But there is some doubt she will afterwards.

If she doesn't get the legal name change (retroactively) she'll have none of the necessary paper trail.  What a PITA!
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 05:29:10 pm »
If she doesn't get the legal name change (retroactively) she'll have none of the necessary paper trail.  What a PITA!

That is the key, it cannot be retroactive.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 05:39:29 pm »
That is the key, it cannot be retroactive.

Bureaucracy at its worst.   **nononono*
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 05:42:49 pm »
Pennsylvania finally got around to instituting REAL ID a few months ago after several delays and I applied immediately.  My usual traveling companion though keeps procrastinating.  I told her if she doesn't have one by the time we go on our annual Florida trip in January, I'm going myself and leaving her home. 

I don't know how it's done in other states, but in PA, I applied online first, then went to the DMV with my current state ID, birth certificate, proof of address (bank statement) and whatever else was required.   Was approved immediately.  My card was supposed to take 2 weeks to arrive, but it was in the mail by the end of the same week I applied.    No fuss.  No muss.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 05:47:13 pm »
Pennsylvania finally got around to instituting REAL ID a few months ago after several delays and I applied immediately.  My usual traveling companion though keeps procrastinating.  I told her if she doesn't have one by the time we go on our annual Florida trip in January, I'm going myself and leaving her home. 

I don't know how it's done in other states, but in PA, I applied online first, then went to the DMV with my current state ID, birth certificate, proof of address (bank statement) and whatever else was required.   Was approved immediately.  My card was supposed to take 2 weeks to arrive, but it was in the mail by the end of the same week I applied.    No fuss.  No muss.

Same for us, except the last part and it hasn't been a week yet so I expect to be satisfied there, too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 05:51:26 pm »
Same for us, except the last part and it hasn't been a week yet so I expect to be satisfied there, too.

One thing people should do is apply early as we have.  Those who wait till the last minute will have more problems getting their cards on time before they need to travel. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 05:52:14 pm »
One thing people should do is apply early as we have.  Those who wait till the last minute will have more problems getting their cards on time before they need to travel.

Yeah, September is going to be the Month from Hell at the DMV. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline berdie

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 07:43:53 pm »
Mine doesn't expire until October of this year. I got a letter saying to come in, go on line or do the renewal over the phone.

I took the phone option. What makes me curious is if they are verifying citizenship how does internet or phone renewal help? I'm sure that if I had an address change...or any other change , they would have had me come to the DMV. But I didn't and nor did they.

I'll be interested to see when I get my new license if the is a "star" on it. I have no intention of getting on a plane and hopefully won't be going to any federal buildings. But I figure if one doesn't do this now it will be harder later.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 08:13:22 pm »
When I renewed my DL in November 2006 (Texas) I was required to bring in my birth certificate and SS card then.  They were turning a lot of people away that did not have those documents. I was able to renew the next time online. When I renewed again this past time it had to be in person and I brought my passport.  They said it wasn't necessary since they already had scanned my other documents, but they scanned it anyway since I had it there.  My new DL has the gold star.  Hubby's last renewal was with the required documents just a few days before they started giving out the starred DL, so I was able to go online and pay $11 to get an updated DL for him.

Offline berdie

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 08:38:26 pm »
When I renewed my DL in November 2006 (Texas) I was required to bring in my birth certificate and SS card then.  They were turning a lot of people away that did not have those documents. I was able to renew the next time online. When I renewed again this past time it had to be in person and I brought my passport.  They said it wasn't necessary since they already had scanned my other documents, but they scanned it anyway since I had it there.  My new DL has the gold star.  Hubby's last renewal was with the required documents just a few days before they started giving out the starred DL, so I was able to go online and pay $11 to get an updated DL for him.

$11...I paid $25!! But it's worth it to me to not go to the DMV!

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 10:20:06 pm »

$11...I paid $25!! But it's worth it to me to not go to the DMV!

I would have paid that, too.  I don't think they realize how much people hate going there.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 10:41:41 pm »
I would have paid that, too.  I don't think they realize how much people hate going there.

I think they do, it's by design.
I will NOT comply.