Author Topic: Stocks could drop 40%, and this is how to get ready for it, says Nouriel Roubin  (Read 715 times)

Online libertybele

President Uncle Joe Biden???

Stocks could drop 40%, and this is how to get ready for it, says Nouriel Roubin

The Democratic field is poor, but Trump is dead’

‘I expect global equities to tank by 30% to 40% this year. My advice is: Put your money into cash and safe government bonds.’

That’s economist Nouriel Roubini sharing his gloomy outlook on the market in an interview with Germany’s Der Spiegel last week.

“You have to hedge your money against a crash,” Roubini continued, adding that his motto is “Better safe than sorry!”

His latest bearish take — which lives up to his “Dr. Doom” nickname — comes amid a market that saw a February peak-to-trough drop in the S&P SPX, -1.70% of nearly 13%. For the whole month, the index was down more than 8%............

..............Markets aside, Roubini said he believes there will be huge political ramifications, especially if/when the coronavirus blows up in the United States..............

..............Does that mean a “perfect scare-scenario” for Trump?

“Not at all. He will lose the election, that’s for sure,” Roubini said. “This has always the case in history. Ford lost to Carter after the 1973 oil shock, Carter lost to Reagan due to the second oil crisis in 1979, and Bush lost to Clinton after the Kuwait invasion. The Democratic field is poor, but Trump is dead.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stocks-could-drop-40-and-this-is-how-to-get-ready-for-it-says-nouriel-roubini-2020-03-01?itm_source=parsely-api&mod=mw_more_headlines
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Not much a Trump fanboy... but this guy is a real work of art... worked for both Clinton and Obama... and has made some major bad predictions in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nouriel_Roubini

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nouriel-roubini-misses-another-prediction/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:52:50 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
President Uncle Joe Biden???

Stocks could drop 40%, and this is how to get ready for it, says Nouriel Roubin

The Democratic field is poor, but Trump is dead’

In this era of electronic trading, and nimble systems?...  Don't be so sure.  If COV-19 ends up having less than the hysteria effect?, then this can temper down, and be managable.  Oil war?  That game of chicken could go either way.  I wouldn't count Trump out yet.

‘I expect global equities to tank by 30% to 40% this year. My advice is: Put your money into cash and safe government bonds.’

Bonds?  Either this guy an idiot, or more than likely misquoted?  Does he not understand how the inversion of bond cost/interest rate works?  You can invest in a bond at 1%, and if the prevailing rates go up to 2%, you potentially have lost half your investment.  OTOH, sitting on a boat load of cash after a crash, ready for investment bargains, is always a good idea.

Roubani has been doom and gloom for 20 years now and many laugh at his ass.  I think he is waiting for the broken clock twice a day scenario..   That's all he's got left in his quill. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:53:01 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Ian Miles Cheong  @stillgray
Cheering about economy tanking because billionaires had billions of dollars wiped off their value (not explicitly true if they didn’t panic sell their stocks) is so incredibly tunnelvisioned. The only people who suffer are the employees they pay.
6:17 PM · Mar 9, 2020
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I think 40% is a little overblown.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

I think 40% is a little overblown.

The market has never dealt with a pandemic and now a ME oil squabble as well. IMHO, I don' think we can rely on market charts and trends of the past.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Stocks could drop 40%,

That tends to happen when stocks are overpriced by 40%.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

The market has never dealt with a pandemic and now a ME oil squabble as well. IMHO, I don' think we can rely on market charts and trends of the past.

The market (stock exchanges) have survived quite a few pandemics.

https://www.mphonline.org/worst-pandemics-in-history/

History Of The New York Stock Exchange
https://www.fxcm.com/uk/insights/new-york-stock-exchange-nyse/
The NYSE was founded 17 May 1792

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/products-and-services/rns/history/history.htm
For over 300 years, the London Stock Exchange has produced detailed market information for companies and investors.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer