Author Topic: March 8, 2020 - Dow futures down more than 1,000 points, kicking off another rough week for the mark  (Read 2368 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Dow futures down more than 1,000 points, kicking off another rough week for the markets
By Clare Duffy, CNN Business
March 8, 2020

New York (CNN Business) Stock futures were down again Sunday evening as the novel coronavirus outbreak continues to roil financial markets.

Dow (DJI) futures fell by as much as 1,072 points, or about 4.2% Sunday. The S&P (INX) futures were down around 4.5% and Nasdaq (COMP) futures were down 4.4%.

The 10-year Treasury yield fell to a record low Sunday evening — below 0.5%.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/investing/stock-dow-futures-coronavirus/index.html
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:41:14 am by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The future appears bright to those who prepared for this carnage.

Lots of opportunities out there.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

With futures down over 1,000 pts it will probably be another record breaking drop in the market.  What a great way to start a Monday morning.  Global recession may be just around the corner.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DB

After this clears up maybe we can ween ourselves off of China just a bit...

Offline libertybele

After this clears up maybe we can ween ourselves off of China just a bit...

Ya think?  Years ago I tried not to buy things made in China -- very difficult.  I was unaware of the pharmaceutical hold that they have on us. 

Opportunities for companies to comeback to the good ole U.S.A. 

Keep America Great Again = Made in the U.S.A.!!!!   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I was pretty sure this thing hadn't found bottom yet.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
I was pretty sure this thing hadn't found bottom yet.

Today may be historic. 

Oil futures crashing down to under $32/bbl.  That is 22% off since Friday's trade date.
DJIA Futures off 1,255 at the moment
30 YR Freakin' Tbond down to 1.22%

Buying opportunites coming up soon.....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:44:28 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Today may be historic. 

Oil futures crashing down to under $32/bbl.  That is 22% off since Friday's trade date.
DJIA Futures off 1,2555 at the moment
30 YR Freakin' Tbond down to 1.22%

Buying opportunites coming up soon.....

Looks like its setting up for a big dramatic selling climax.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Pre - Trading numbers for us in intergrated oils, relatng to today's crash.    Again Divy #'s are if these payouts are sustainable.

CVX- 84.50. Divy Yield 6.1%
XOM- 42.70 Divy Yield 8.1%
BP- 25.51 Divy Yield- 9.8%
COP- 37.99 Divy Yield- 4.4%

And at the same time a 30 Yr TBond rate crashing to 1.22%?  This is unprecedented and very concerning.  Have seen nothing like it, in my 35 years of obsessively watching these things.

Who knows what the bottom is at this point, but unless you think these 4 companies are going away..........
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:46:05 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

Today, may be the day. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:46:31 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

I predict we see some circuit breakers enacted today, for the first time, in what I care to remember.

I have said to many all along , that a 25-30,000 DJIA was crazily over-inflated.  Through this bull run, I have stuck mostly with High Divy Stalwarts, and went big into bonds.(TBonds and Corporates yielding generally 3-6%)  With the interest rates sinking like a rock, that strategy is getting ready to pay off handsomly. Ka-Ching. 

The best advise I ever got in my investing life, was the best time to get in, is when everyone else is racing towards the exits panicking. That served me well in ''87, '00, and '08.  Now retired, I have to temper that exuberance. Man I would love to be a 25 y.o., and about a half mill to invest.

(update:  Fin shows already bringing up that circuit breakers will be enacted at opening.  Hold On....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:14:07 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

Cowabunga!!!!

VIX of 50?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
The SPY, or SPDR ETF (Exchange Traded Fund), which is based off the S&P index but trades as a stock, is as of this post the equivalent of 2760 while the futures are limit down at 2819.

I'm gonna say that's 1500 points on the Dow or so.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 12:37:05 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

The SPY, or SPDR ETF (Exchange Traded Fund), which is based off the S&P index but trades as a stock, is as of this post the equivalent of 2760 while the futures are limit down at 2819.

I'm gonna say that's 1500 points on the Dow or so.

Surprisingly the VIX is only at 41.59.

VIX was @ 50, which is breathtaking, and numbers I haven't seen in probably 10-15 years or so.  Maybe back in '09?

That 1500 drop is probably going being tempered by Circuit Breakers, which may mask true market condtions.  We will see shortly..

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
VIX was @ 50, which is breathtaking, and numbers I haven't seen in probably 10-15 years or so.  Maybe back in '09?

That 1500 drop is probably going being tempered by Circuit Breakers, which may mask true market condtions.  We will see shortly..

Yeah '09 is about right.

As far as I know the ETF's have no circuit breakers, so hopefully that's a true reflection of the market.

My VIX quotes are frozen, so that was a misquote.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
April crude futures at $31.50 after bottom at $28 overnite.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

As far as I know the ETF's have no circuit breakers, so hopefully that's a true reflection of the market.

Had to look it up, but apparently these 3 generally track the DJIA

DIA, DDM, UDOW

At this exact moment

DIA- - 6.7% 1742 pt. drop
DDM- -12.8% 3314 pt. drop
UDOW- -18.72%- 4824 pt. drop

All over the map. Take your own pick of a guess.  A 5,000 pt. drop would be historic.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:14:54 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Idiot

Today, may be the day.
From your mouth to God's ears.  :laugh:

Online catfish1957

From your mouth to God's ears.  :laugh:

Well 15 more minutes.  Will be glued to the tube afterwards.

Offline Idiot

April crude futures at $31.50 after bottom at $28 overnite.
There goes our drilling projects for the year.   8888crybaby

Online catfish1957

There goes our drilling projects for the year.   8888crybaby

Sorry to hear that.  Don't forget....  These markets nowadays can gyrate 10 X what they used.  The story isn't fully written yet.

But if that trend holds, you are right....   U.S Oil CAPEX will drip to near zero.  i just hope we can hold on long enough and well enough to maintain energy independence.   What you are seeing right now is nothing less than a Russian and Saudi shakedown to see if they can bust us. 

Offline Idiot

Sorry to hear that.  Don't forget....  These markets nowadays can gyrate 10 X what they used.  The story isn't fully written yet.

But if that trend holds, you are right....   U.S Oil CAPEX will drip to near zero.  i just hope we can hold on long enough and well enough to maintain energy independence.   What you are seeing right now is nothing less than a Russian and Saudi shakedown to see if they can bust us.
You are exactly right....

Online catfish1957

You are exactly right....

Alright....  Show Time......