Author Topic: ‘Ho! For the Pole!’ — Did Dutch Ships reach the 89th latitude in 1665 and 1675?  (Read 460 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Electroverse by Harry Hardrada 3/8/2020

I [Harry Hardrada] recently unearthed an intriguing piece of literature from a 19th century periodical named ‘Ho! For the Pole!’ in Littell’s Living Age, Volume 66 (1860).

The paper highlights various voyages to the North Pole throughout the 17th-18th centuries with meticulous detail. It appears, according to the article, that many wooden ships penetrated as far north as the 89th latitude in ‘open iceless seas’ during this time — as in 1665 and 1675.

A bit far-fetched?

Perhaps, on the face of it… but there is some good evidence out there which may suggest otherwise.

Today we know about the role of Ocean Oscillations and their relation to climate.

ENSO (El Nino Southern Oscillation) is a major driver of immediate temperature change across the Globe, but little is known about the roles of the AMO (Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation) and PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation).

The current author, along with some others, is under the opinion that both the AMO and PDO are anticorrelate with arctic warmth and arctic sea ice decline. When both Ocean cycles of the AMO and PDO are warm, a greater amount of heat is circulated around the arctic region hence Arctic ‘Amplification’ whereas when the cycles are colder arctic sea ice and arctic cold increases.

Of course, most of the warming in the 1930’s and post 1980’s can be explained by the changing oscillations of the AMO and the PDO.

More: https://electroverse.net/did-dutch-ships-reach-the-89th-latitude-in-1665-and-1675/

This is just a snippet of the article with references to 1665 and 1675 with my own annotations.
You can see the whole article on my twitter page linked HERE.