Author Topic: Trump administration to send about 160 troops to southern border  (Read 934 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
ABC57 By Priscilla Alvarez, CNN 3/6/2020

Trump administration to send about 160 troops to southern border

The Trump administration is deploying troops to the southern border as a result of uncertainty over the future of one of its key asylum policies, US Customs and Border Protection announced Friday.

Last week, a federal appeals court blocked the so-called "Remain in Mexico" policy, which requires migrants to wait in Mexico until their court date in the US. Following the ruling, groups amassed at some locations along the border, but while the ruling has been temporarily paused, senior agency officials told reporters Friday that last week's events prompted concerns about personnel safety. Several ports of entry were closed or partially closed last week.

"Based on the pending ... decision, continued concern of large groups attempting to forcibly enter through (ports of entry), and COVID-19 containment and mitigation concerns, CBP has activated the crisis response force," the official said.

As a result, the Defense Department is deploying its Crisis Response Force in support of CBP. Approximately 160 active duty personnel will be shifted from their standby location in Louisiana to the southern border. Around 80 will go to the Paso del Norte port of entry in Texas and another 80 will go to the San Ysidro port of entry in California.

More: https://www.abc57.com/news/trump-administration-to-send-approximately-160-troops-to-southern-border-as-it-awaits-asylum-policy-ruling

Offline EdinVA

Re: Trump administration to send about 160 troops to southern border
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 10:55:13 pm »
These are the time I am really glad Trump is in the White House.
Any one else would have sat on their hands worrying about being criticized...

Offline mortarman

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 11:08:35 pm »
Not near enough. I'd start with an entire Armored Cavalry Regiment an' then have a couple of Infantry Brigades on reserve.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 11:27:01 pm »
Any one else would have sat on their hands worrying about being criticized...
Yea,
the press has given him 'freedom'.
Since he knows he will be criticized for everything and anything
then there is no downside. Just do whatever you want to do
and let history and the press do whatever it is that they do.
Why not?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 11:31:11 pm »
Not near enough. I'd start with an entire Armored Cavalry Regiment an' then have a couple of Infantry Brigades on reserve.

:pop41:

Not enough to cover the entire b order, but 20 uniformed service members at each major crossing point will make the desired impression.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 11:37:49 pm »
Not enough to cover the entire b order, but 20 Armed uniformed service members at each major crossing point will make the desired impression.

There. Fixed it. :seeya:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 11:44:23 pm »
"Trump administration to send about 160 troops to southern border"

Huh....?
16,000 would be closer to the number that's needed.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 12:59:21 am »
"Trump administration to send about 160 troops to southern border"

Huh....?
16,000 would be closer to the number that's needed.
That is weird. In my life. In my world. We talk in thousands.
When I saw 160, immediately thought 160 thousand.
One hundred and sixty individual people? That should help?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 01:16:54 am »
There. Fixed it. :seeya:
Much obliged! Thats what I meant.

Cavalry sporting M1A2s, preferably.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 01:21:02 am »
That is weird. In my life. In my world. We talk in thousands.
When I saw 160, immediately thought 160 thousand.
One hundred and sixty individual people? That should help?
We still have lots of bases within arms reach of the boarder if they are needed....

rangerrebew

The Trump Administration Is Sending 160 Troops To The Border
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 11:58:38 am »

The Trump Administration Is Sending 160 Troops To The Border

Last updated on March 6, 2020, at 1:39 p.m. ET

Posted on March 6, 2020, at 12:06 p.m. ET

The Trump administration is sending 160 active-duty personnel to the southern border in light of a recent court ruling preventing the government from making immigrants wait in Mexico.

Senior Customs and Border Protection officials said they are sending 80 soldiers to El Paso, Texas, and another 80 to San Diego to support officers at official border crossings there. Officials also said they were sending soldiers there due to increasing coronavirus concerns.
Advertisement

On Friday of last week, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals temporarily blocked the Trump administration's “Remain in Mexico” policy, has sent back nearly 60,000 immigrants from the US border and forced them to wait in Mexico while their cases are completed, though later the same day it suspended its order.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/the-trump-administration-is-sending-160-troops-to-the-border?ref=bfnsplash

rangerrebew

Re: The Trump Administration Is Sending 160 Troops To The Border
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 12:02:26 pm »
Will democrats and the MSM smear Trump for wanting to keep the gaping hole from allowing too many infected "immigrants" to find their way in to the country?  I'll bet they will say that isn't enough.  If that isn't enough, then they really need to get hot on financing the fence. *look*

rangerrebew

Troops forming crisis response forces at US-Mexico border checkpoints
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 12:25:02 pm »
Troops forming crisis response forces at US-Mexico border checkpoints
Meghann Myers

About 160 soldiers deployed along the U.S.-Mexico border are forming crisis response teams at two points of entry, the Defense Department announced Friday.

Members of the 687th Engineer Construction Company and the 519th Military Police Battalion, both based at Fort Polk, Louisiana, will move to San Ysidro, California, and El Paso, Texas, to assist Customs and Border Patrol, according to a release.

There they will “emplace temporary barriers to restrict access through ports of entry and provide force protection for CBP personnel as they perform their federal functions,” Pentagon spokesman Lt. Col. Christian Mitchell said in a statement.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/03/06/troops-forming-crisis-response-forces-at-us-mexico-border-checkpoints/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MAR%20DNR%203.6.20&utm_term=Editorial%20-%20Marine%20Corps%20-%20Daily%20News%20Roundup

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Trump Administration Is Sending 160 Troops To The Border
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 06:56:58 pm »
With the coronavirus looming in Mexico (and Mexico willing to do little to stop it), the only possible, reasonable plan of action should be to CLOSE the USA/Mexico border -- NO ONE across in either direction (except American citizens returning home, and deportations).