Author Topic: New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus  (Read 564 times)

Offline Applewood

New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

Amid a coronavirus outbreak in the United States, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is encouraging older people and people with severe chronic medical conditions to "stay at home as much as possible."

This advice is on a CDC website that was posted Thursday, according to a CDC spokeswoman.

Early data suggests older people are twice as likely to have serious illness from the novel coronavirus, according to the CDC.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/health/coronavirus-older-people-social-distancing/index.html

Ok, I'm an old lady with health issues, so I fit into the high-risk category.  But until I am ordered to stay home, I'm going out.  I refuse to hide in fear.

Offline libertybele

New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/health/coronavirus-older-people-social-distancing/index.html

Ok, I'm an old lady with health issues, so I fit into the high-risk category.  But until I am ordered to stay home, I'm going out.  I refuse to hide in fear.

Well, it depends on what you determine to be old.  Mr. doctor's  nurse told me that 50 is the now the new 40, 60 is the new 50, 70 is the new 60, 80 is the new 70, etc.

Buy CDC guidelines, I am old.  I have health issues as well.  But I too refuse to live in fear.  Common sense precautions this time of year because of flu season is appropriate and applies to the corona.  Sanitize the grocery carst, use hand sanitizer when you get into the car before you touch that steering wheel and wash your hands when you get home, sanitize door knobs and light switches, bleach/water to wipe off countertops, etc., etc. I posted a list in the coronavirus thread -- Purell, Clorox, Lysol, etc., kills this virus and this virus is easily killed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

@libertybele   Those precautions are the sort of thing the CDC should be talking about, not telling people to stay home. 

They should also dispel some rumors and fake news going around about the disease.  For example, locally, there was a story about Asian restaurants in the area reporting a downturn in business.  People apparently think that being anywhere near an Asian or eating Asian food in restaurants will give you the virus.  People should be encouraged to live their lives as they would normally -- not stay home curled up in a ball in a corner. 

I still believe what will do this country in will be fear, not the coronavirus itself.

Offline musiclady

Just more room for me on the machines at the Fitness Center.  wink777

Except that older folks like us who still work out regularly aren't the type to fall for fear mongering like this.

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Stay home" is music to this old hermit's ears....

I've been waiting for this moment my whole life.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

Just more room for me on the machines at the Fitness Center.  wink777

Except that older folks like us who still work out regularly aren't the type to fall for fear mongering like this.

Why not have the best of all worlds - fitness machines at home.

Offline musiclady

Why not have the best of all worlds - fitness machines at home.

Our basement isn't quite that big!  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.