Author Topic: Are Atheists Right? - My original work  (Read 708 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Are Atheists Right? - My original work
« on: March 06, 2020, 05:14:20 pm »
http://AreAtheistsRight.blogspot.com

The Fallacy of Science vs. Religion

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false.  If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity.  Science pursues truth.

The list of scientists as men and women faith is long and growing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality.  The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.” 
”  - Demon Haunted World, page 29, by Carl Sagan

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

“I think as Psalm 19, ‘the heavens proclaim the glory of God,’ that is, God reveals himself in all there is.  All reality, to a greater or lesser extent, reveals the purpose of God.  There is some purpose and connection to the world in all aspects of human experience.” – Arno Penzias, Nobel Prize  winner in physics for co-discovery of background cosmic radiation, confirming the Big Bang, or the moment of creation

The Atheist Claim of Rationality and Intellectual Superiority

If atheists are, on average, intellectually superior to people of faith, then why do they abandon their religious belief in atheism at a rate higher than any other group?  (The Supreme Court has adjudged atheism a religion. Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488 (1961))

Ivy League Colleges all have Christian charters.  Is there a single college with an atheist charter?  Of course not.

Atheists marry less, by far, than those of faith.  Marriage confers enormous mental and physical health benefits, showing how rational and intelligent it is to marry the opposite sex.
   Recently the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life has published its mammoth study on Religion in America based on 35,000 interviews... According to the Pew Forum a whopping 37% of atheists never marry as opposed to 19% of the American population, 17% of Protestants and 17% of Catholics.[3]

The religious have better mental health into adulthood.
The abstract for the journal article Health and Well-Being Among the Non-religious: Atheists, Agnostics, and No Preference Compared with Religious Group Members published in the Journal of Religion and Health indicates: "On dimensions related to psychological well-being, atheists and agnostics tended to have worse outcomes than either those with religious affiliation or those with no religious preference."[2]
Global News reported:
“   Children who are raised with religious or spiritual beliefs tend to have better mental health into their adulthood, a new study from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health found.
According to the study’s findings, people who attended weekly religious services or prayed or meditated daily in their childhood reported greater life satisfaction in their 20s. People who grew up in a religious household also reported fewer symptoms of depression and lower rates of post-traumatic stress disorder.[3]

People of faith live longer than atheists.
For the study, a team of Ohio University academics, including associate professor of psychology Christian End, analysed more than 1,500 obituaries from across the US to piece together how the defining features of our lives affect our longevity.
These records include religious affiliations and marriage details as well as information on activities, hobbies and habits, which can help or hinder our health, not otherwise captured in census data.

The study, published in Social Psychological and Personality Science today, found that on average people whose obituary mentioned they were religious lived an extra 5.64 years.
Atheists commit suicide far more often than those of faith, which is clearly not "rational"

"Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns" in The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael Martin, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK (2005). In examining various indicators of societal health, Zuckerman concludes about suicide:
"Concerning suicide rates, this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicides rates (which compared 100 countries), of the top ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly irreligious nations with high levels of atheism. It is interesting to note, however, that of the top remaining nine nations leading the world in male suicide rates, all are former Soviet/Communist nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine, and Latvia. Of the bottom ten nations with the lowest male suicide rates, all are highly religious nations with statistically insignificant levels of organic atheism."[3]

The list of atheist shooters and serial killers does not correspond to claims of intellectual superiority and rationality.

Atheists have a long record of being mass shooters and militant atheism in general has a causal association with mass murder.
Due to this fact, peer reviewed research published in academic journals has found that society-at-large is likely to hold atheists responsible for capital criminal acts and that even atheists are likely to assume that serial killers are fellow atheists.[2][3][4]
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Are Atheists Right? - My original work
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 10:17:08 pm »
Everyone who has read this agrees?  No suggestions for improving it?
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:07:20 pm »
Since the French Enlightenment, suggest the great divide for Man,
has been between the primacy of the material or the spiritual
and not the argument between the atheistic and the scientific.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 02:27:33 pm »
The condescending pretension that dozens or hundreds of pages of information and analysis can simply be dismissed by a single sentence is the prevailing mendacity of the godless Left.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 02:39:03 pm »
Confused....
Science vs Religion? Or atheist vs Science?

Not being religious does not mean I am atheist but the numerous references to religion muddy's the water on the actual subject.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 06:10:46 pm »
The condescending pretension that dozens or hundreds of pages of information and analysis can simply be dismissed by a single sentence is the prevailing mendacity of the godless Left.
--------------------------------
Hopefully you're young enough to internalize a core reality
Brevity is the soul of wisdom while verbosity is its relentless enemy.
The sentence above begs a simple reply; W-H-A-T ?????

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:53:41 pm »
--------------------------------
Hopefully you're young enough to internalize a core reality
Brevity is the soul of wisdom (sic) while verbosity is its relentless enemy.
The sentence above begs a simple reply; W-H-A-T ?????

"Since brevity is the soul of wit/ and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief..." - Polonius in Hamlet, Act II

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring. - Alexander Pope