Author Topic: Trump defends rhetoric: 'When they hit us we have to hit back'  (Read 405 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/486238-trump-defends-rhetoric-when-they-hit-us-we-have-to-hit-back

President Trump on Thursday defended his use of harsh rhetoric to respond to criticism from Democrats, even as he insisted the country has been united by his administration's economic achievements.

"I think the country is far more united than people think. Ultimately what’s uniting the country is success," Trump said in response to a question at a Fox News town hall about toning down political rhetoric in the country.

"But when they hit us we have to hit back," he continued, suggesting it was key to his appeal in 2016. "I feel that. There's two ways of doing it. Turning your cheek, but I wouldn't be sitting up here if i turned my cheek."

more at link

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/330339116359225344?lang=en

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
·
May 3, 2013
"@HarrietBaldwin : @realDonaldTrump @deedeegop
 What happened to "turn the other cheek?"  Sorry, not a believer!

Offline Applewood

Re: Trump defends rhetoric: 'When they hit us we have to hit back'
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 12:53:17 pm »
Thing is, Trump uses this "tough rhetoric" even when no one has engaged him.  Look at his constant, never-ending slams against Jeff Sessions.  Why does Trump continue to beat this dead horse?   11513

It's fine to respond to criticism sometimes, but really, Trump's "counterattacks" are usually way disproportionate to whatever was said to or about him.  And there are times when it's far more prudent to ignore the naysayers and whiners and just do your job.  Let your work speak for itself.    The coronavirus outbreak, for example.  Trump put Pence in charge.  So why doesn't Trump let Pence do the job and ignore the complainers?

I guess Trump likes to stir the pot (or bring the pot to a boil) for the benefit of his supporters; this behavior keeps them engaged and enthusiastic.  But for some of the rest of us, we wish he would just STFU. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 02:14:30 pm »
Charlie Spiering 5 Mar 2020

President Donald Trump defended his aggressive style on Thursday in Pennsylvania, noting that he had to fight back against his political enemies.

Trump commented during his Fox News town hall on Thursday night in Scranton, Pennsylvania after a businessman asked him about his combative style.

“When they hit us, we have to hit back,” Trump replied. “I feel that.”

Trump acknowledged that he could either “turn the other cheek” or fight back.

“I wouldn’t be sitting here if I turned my cheek,” he said.

Trump said he was constantly under attack from his political opponents and admitted that he would not be president if he was not as combative.

“You can’t turn your cheek,” he said as the crowd applauded. “We get hit so hard.”

The president said the establishment media also deserved his criticism.

“We have a media that is, you know, I say to a large extent it’s a part of the Democrat party,” Trump said. “It really is. It’s terrible, it’s unfair. I call it fake news, I’ve used that, and people are using it all over the world right now and that’s the way it is.”

He said that he appreciated the question, but said that he was required to fight against his critics.

“If we don’t fight back, you won’t be a fan of mine very long,” he said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/03/05/trump-defends-combative-style-at-town-hall-we-have-to-hit-back/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:55:09 pm »
topics merged
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34