Author Topic: Scientists Discover Hotspot Track Cross-Cutting the New Madrid Seismic Zone  (Read 825 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Strange Sounds -Mar 5, 2020

Scientists Discover Hotspot Track Cross-Cutting the New Madrid Seismic Zone

There is a hotspot track cross-cutting the New Madrid Fault Lines!

And it may explain the upstick in recent intraplate earthquakes across the eastern United States!

The New Madrid rift system is responsible for some of the most powerful earthquakes in North American history and this newly discovered hotspot track could explain the late Mesozoic reactivation of the New Madrid rift system and the increased seismicity of the eastern United States.

More: https://strangesounds.org/2020/03/geological-oddity-scientists-discover-hotspot-track-cross-cutting-the-new-madrid-rift-system.html

There is a hotspot track cross-cutting the New Madrid Seismic Zone. The rectangular boxes
show the locations of the seismic anomalies detected by USArray. The blue line shows the
track of the hot spot. Black triangles are where diamond-bearing rocks from deep in the
mantle have been found. Black and red lines are the boundary of the Mississippi
Embayment and the New Madrid rift complex, respectively.  The inset globe shows where
the hotspot is today and the ball shows the epicenter of the 2011 Virginia earthquake.

Offline Polly Ticks

@txradioguy
Duck and cover.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DB

It wouldn't take much of an earthquake to level the eastern US.

Many buildings are unreinforced brick and morter.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy
Duck and cover.

Something tells me my basement won't protect me from this... **nononono*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
It wouldn't take much of an earthquake to level the eastern US.

Many buildings are unreinforced brick and morter.

If the New Madrid rips off another one like it did 200 years ago, it'll drop buildings all the way to Chicago.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If the New Madrid rips off another one like it did 200 years ago, it'll drop buildings all the way to Chicago.
We just don't know how much of a mess that would make, simply because much of what is populated today wasn't populated by folks who kept good records.
There is little doubt that some major midwestern cities would be hard hit.
Possibilities include the failure of one or more of the three Missouri River dams, (Lake Oahee, Sakakaweja, and the Fort Peck reservoir), with the mess that would make downstream of those failures. Infrastructure failures would be a given, from bridges to possibly pipeline and power line crossings. How complete that damage would be, we don't know, but it could divide the country in half.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

I figure Memphis would be in a lot of trouble.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Groucho wrote:
"I figure Memphis would be in a lot of trouble."

Ever read Matt Bracken's "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" series of novels...?

Offline GrouchoTex

Groucho wrote:
"I figure Memphis would be in a lot of trouble."

Ever read Matt Bracken's "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" series of novels...?

No, i have not.

Online DB

The San Andreas fault in California has had significant quakes on both ends of it where it goes out to sea over the last couple of days. Including a swarm of quakes last night on the northern end. A major quake in California right now would really be a mess.

Offline PeteS in CA

The San Andreas fault in California has had significant quakes on both ends of it where it goes out to sea over the last couple of days. Including a swarm of quakes last night on the northern end. A major quake in California right now would really be a mess.

California was pretty thinly populated until 1849, and much of CA's growth took place after 1906, i.e. after building codes started being put in place to improve resistance to earthquakes. By way of contrast, the eastern half of the US has a larger percentage of older buildings and buildings not built to withstand earthquakes.

The 1989 Loma Prieta quake did damage, but illustrates something about CA geography that is unlike eastern US geography. My parents lived about 150 miles from Loma Prieta. They did not feel it at all. This is because there are faults between where they lived and Loma Prieta. Those fault zones are breaks that attenuate shock waves from earthquakes. By way of contrast, the 1811 and 1812 quakes on the New Madrid Fault were felt in Boston. Those quake were definitely stronger than Loma Prieta, but a quake on the New Madrid Fault of magnitude and depth similar to Loma Prieta would probably do much more damage and do some of that serious damage much farther from the epicenter.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.