Author Topic: Exxon puts out methane policy in hopes that regulators will adopt it  (Read 833 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  James Osborne March 3, 2020

Exxon puts out methane policy in hopes that regulators will adopt it

Exxon Mobil released its internal policy on methane emissions Tuesday, urging governments to use it as model for industrywide methane regulation.

The Trump administration has moved to roll back federal methane regulations, drawing opposition from not only environmental groups but large oil companies, including Texas-based Exxon, who argue it is good policy needed to rein in the widespread flaring of natural gas across U.S. oil and gas fields.

"Our industry has developed high-tech advances to curb emissions, and we also hope this framework will be helpful for governments as they develop new regulations,” Exxon CEO Darren Woods said.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/Exxon-puts-out-model-methane-regulation-15101493.php

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Exxon puts out methane policy in hopes that regulators will adopt it
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 02:59:04 pm »
While these may work for EOM, it may be that individual production situations and well siting may not be conducive to meeting these suggestions. What is a fiscal inconvenience to a big operator can be a deal breaker for smaller ones.
Some suggestions may be good; Amerada Hess, now known as Hess, designed locations that very closely resemble what the BLM eventually adopted as their requirements, well before the BLM had requirements, and the result was a cleaner industry, at least here.

Not having seen what the proposals made by EOM are, I can't speak to them specifically, only say they could be a good industry proffered guideline, or a tendered requirement that would tilt the playing field in EOM's favor. There is advantage in having the industry suggest such, because the people suggesting it at least are knowledgeable, unlike the average legislator and all too many appointed regulators.

Unfortunately, all that really asks the wrong question. The right question is one of why there is insane pandering to the AGW/Climate Change crowd in the first place, because such only grants some apparent legitimacy to their claims of human caused warming.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:01:44 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 03:12:58 pm »
While these may work for EOM, it may be that individual production situations and well siting may not be conducive to meeting these suggestions. What is a fiscal inconvenience to a big operator can be a deal breaker for smaller ones....

Which is likely the real reason EOM is proposing them.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 03:38:15 pm »
Which is likely the real reason EOM is proposing them.
I suspect as much, but can't prove it. Pandering to the warmists brings in grant money, I get that, but using it as a weapon against the rest of the industry is a bad deal for the future.

It's usually the smaller operators who take the chances that can prove large reserves like the Bakken, the big outfits tend to buy in later.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 03:41:03 pm »
Houston Chronicle by  James Osborne March 3, 2020

Exxon puts out methane policy in hopes that regulators will adopt it

As an annuitant, I'd better keep my mouth shut.   888mouth
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 01:51:48 am »
I suspect as much, but can't prove it. Pandering to the warmists brings in grant money, I get that, but using it as a weapon against the rest of the industry is a bad deal for the future.

It's usually the smaller operators who take the chances that can prove large reserves like the Bakken, the big outfits tend to buy in later.
Appeasement never works.

Shell designed a carbon capture model that increased capital costs on its LNG operations by 25% in Australia.

After implementing it, they spent a ton lobbying the govt to make it mandatory.

Resulted in other operators having to cough up a lot more money so Shell would not be non-competitive in its operations.  Overall result is a less competitive LNG industry in Australia.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 10:40:03 pm »
Exxon, u look pretty stupid worrying about this now in face of collapsing prices and revenues.

Get back in the business of making money for stockholders instead of pandering to the radicals.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:16:24 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington