Author Topic: Scientists Reveal the Number of Times You’re Actually Conscious Each Minute  (Read 494 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Originally published Aug 22, 2018
Inverse |
Emma Betuel

Scientists Reveal the Number of Times You’re Actually Conscious Each Minute

Two papers released in Neuron delve deep into the way we perceive the world, revealing that we don’t actually register much of it. Our attention systems, the authors show, are extremely ill-equipped for modern society. Rather than take in the world in a constant stream of information, consciousness oscillates in and out of focus, meaning that what we think we know about the world has actually just been pieced together from limited information. Their estimates of how often we are actually focused suggest we don’t know much about the world at all.

The findings are as much philosophical as they are scientific — enough to call into question our most basic understanding of reality into question. Both 2018 studies — one on humans by a team at the University of California Berkeley, and another on macaques done by scientists at Princeton University — sought to pin down how many times the human brain oscillates in and out of focus per minute. Four times every second, explains Princeton Neuroscience Institute Ian Fiebelkorn, Ph.D., to Inverse, the brain stops focusing on the task at hand. That’s about 240 times a minute.

Now I Know

More at link.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Originally published Aug 22, 2018
Inverse |
Emma Betuel

Scientists Reveal the Number of Times You’re Actually Conscious Each Minute

Two papers released in Neuron delve deep into the way we perceive the world, revealing that we don’t actually register much of it. Our attention systems, the authors show, are extremely ill-equipped for modern society. Rather than take in the world in a constant stream of information, consciousness oscillates in and out of focus, meaning that what we think we know about the world has actually just been pieced together from limited information. Their estimates of how often we are actually focused suggest we don’t know much about the world at all.

The findings are as much philosophical as they are scientific — enough to call into question our most basic understanding of reality into question. Both 2018 studies — one on humans by a team at the University of California Berkeley, and another on macaques done by scientists at Princeton University — sought to pin down how many times the human brain oscillates in and out of focus per minute. Four times every second, explains Princeton Neuroscience Institute Ian Fiebelkorn, Ph.D., to Inverse, the brain stops focusing on the task at hand. That’s about 240 times a minute.

Now I Know

More at link.
Now do Joe Biden, I bet he would set a worlds record that would be hard to beat!  :silly: :silly:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's all those pop-ups ads...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis