Author Topic: Day before election, many Texans still undecided on Democratic Senate primary, poll says  (Read 550 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Benjamin Wermund March 2, 2020

Day before election, many Texans still undecided on Democratic Senate primary, poll says

With one day left to make up their minds, most voters still have no clue who they're going to pick to challenge U.S. Sen. John Cornyn in the crowded Democratic Senate primary, according to the latest polling on the race.

It’s been the story of the primary, where the dozen Democrats in the race have struggled to differentiate themselves — and “undecided” has held the lead all along. The latest example is an Emerson College poll released on Monday — one day before the election — in which 39 percent of very likely Democratic primary voters said they still didn’t know who they’d vote for.

Former Air Force pilot MJ Hegar had the most support, with 16 percent. Hegar has secured the backing of Senate Democrats in D.C., and has outraised her opponents in the race. She has also benefited from TV ads that have been on the air for weeks.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/article/Day-before-election-most-Texans-still-undecided-15098823.php

Offline PeteS in CA

I'm sure it didn't help Dems, for POTUS at least, that several Dem candidates dropped out in the past few weeks. Here in CA people have been able to vote since February 3 (business hours manned stations, 24-hour drop-boxes, mail-in). There probably were a good number of Dems whose votes were made meaningless by subsequent events. At least Rs who voted for one of the half dozen or so Not-Trumpers knew their votes would have no effect.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Odd isn't it that the people voting in Texas for the Democrat primary are voting for Sanders?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Odd isn't it that the people voting in Texas for the Democrat primary are voting for Sanders?

By definition, if you live in Texas and vote for any Democrat, you are odd.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

By definition, if you live in Texas and vote for any Democrat, you are odd.
Understood.  Must be transplants from California or from a public school system educatiuon in a big city.

And Biden wound up squeaking out as the major vote getter.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

I'm sure it didn't help Dems, for POTUS at least, that several Dem candidates dropped out in the past few weeks. Here in CA people have been able to vote since February 3 (business hours manned stations, 24-hour drop-boxes, mail-in). There probably were a good number of Dems whose votes were made meaningless by subsequent events. At least Rs who voted for one of the half dozen or so Not-Trumpers knew their votes would have no effect.

A FB friend was kvetching about having voted early only to have her choice drop out a couple of days before the actual election day. Mrs. PeteS and I voted Monday night, a 24-hour drop box at a school district office almost across the street from us (I walked over).

I suspect The Bern won Austin's vote, the UT factor. My old-fashioned opinion - to which I conformed at the appropriate time of life - is that university students should not vote in their university's community, since they are unlikely to live there and experience the consequences, good or ill, of their vote.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

I suspect The Bern won Austin's vote, the UT factor. My old-fashioned opinion - to which I conformed at the appropriate time of life - is that university students should not vote in their university's community, since they are unlikely to live there and experience the consequences, good or ill, of their vote.
Absolutely Bernie won Austin but not overwhelming as he had just 37%.

I agree with the comment on university students who are not from local area being able to vote.  They should always be required to go back to their own home to vote in elections.

One of the problems with UT Austin is, unlike a lot of large universities, Austin is a desirable place to reside.  This attracts the large tech industry and hence many students remain after graduation as jobs are readily available.  Example is announced plans by Apple to build a new tech center there accommodating up to 15,000.
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/11/apple-expands-in-austin/
The university mindset stays and will not leave.