Author Topic: Into the Wild lures the unprepared to Alaska wilderness  (Read 846 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Into the Wild lures the unprepared to Alaska wilderness
« on: February 29, 2020, 03:26:34 am »
Into the Wild lures the unprepared to Alaska wilderness

Scores of people have been rescued and others have died on pilgrimages to infamous bus
The Associated Press · Posted: Feb 28, 2020 12:27 PM CT

This 2006 photo shows the abandoned bus where Christopher McCandless starved to death in 1992 on Stampede Road near Healy, Alaska. For more than a quarter-century, the old bus abandoned in Alaska's punishing wilderness has drawn adventurers seeking to retrace the steps of a young idealist who met a tragic death in the derelict vehicle. (Jillian Rogers/The Associated Press)

For more than a quarter-century, the old bus abandoned in Alaska's punishing wilderness has drawn adventurers seeking to retrace the steps of a young idealist who met a tragic death in the derelict vehicle.

For many, Christopher McCandless' legend was cemented in the Into the Wild book and movie. But scores of travellers following his journey along the Stampede Trail just outside Denali National Park have been rescued and others have died in the harsh reality of back-country terrain.

It is marked by no cellphone service, unpredictable weather and the raging Teklanika River, whose swollen banks prevented the 24-year-old Virginian from seeking help before his 1992 starvation death.

Emile Hirsch played McCandless in the 2007 film 'Into The Wild.' (Paramount Vantage)

Read more at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/into-the-wild-bus-alaska-footbridge-1.5479771

I have vaguely heard about this. I didn't know there was a movie on it. Sounds interesting.

Teklanika River:

Blog, Magic Bus Journey, FWIW   https://themagicbusjourney.wordpress.com/category/teklanika-river/

:pondering:

People make pilgrimages to this apparently.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:33:12 am by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Into the Wild lures the unprepared to Alaska wilderness
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 03:43:37 am »
Beautiful. There are equally beautiful scenes, from both sides of the Tetons, too. (Idaho and Wyoming)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 02:04:37 pm »
Beautiful. There are equally beautiful scenes, from both sides of the Tetons, too. (Idaho and Wyoming)
These United States have a lot of beautiful places. Almost every natural setting has something beautiful about it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »
I read Krakauer's Into Thin Air regarding tragedy on Mt. Everest.  Meticulously researched and well-written.  I would imagine the same for his Into the Wild work.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 02:59:20 pm »
I have vaguely heard about this. I didn't know there was a movie on it. Sounds interesting.

Teklanika River:

Blog, Magic Bus Journey, FWIW   https://themagicbusjourney.wordpress.com/category/teklanika-river/

:pondering:

People make pilgrimages to this apparently.

@TomSea

I saw it on tv when it first aired,and it is well worth watching.

So is the tv show about the idiot who went to live in the wild with the Grizzly Bears,and after the first year,even managed to get an attractive young woman to join him in his effort to turn Grizzly Bears into house/tent pets.

Guess how THAT worked out for them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 03:27:11 pm »
@TomSea

I saw it on tv when it first aired,and it is well worth watching.

So is the tv show about the idiot who went to live in the wild with the Grizzly Bears,and after the first year,even managed to get an attractive young woman to join him in his effort to turn Grizzly Bears into house/tent pets.

Guess how THAT worked out for them.

So, you don't think it's smart to live with grizzly bears?  Alright.  @sneakypete

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man

I read an article on that or someyhing, maybe it was even a book.  But this movie "Into the Wild" really does sound pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:41:29 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 04:39:56 pm »
So, you don't think it's smart to live with grizzly bears?  Alright.  @sneakypete

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man

I read an article on that or someyhing, maybe it was even a book.  But this movie "Into the Wild" really does sound pretty good.

@TomSea

It was,but you will most likely feel genuine sorrow for both that fool and the bear,who ended up being killed because he killed that fool encroaching on his space.

He meant well,but he was still a fool looking for fame and fortune.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 08:24:53 pm »
This isn't the grizzly bear guy, Timothy Treadwell, just some airhead trying to find himself and forgot about necessities like food.

Krakauer's book about Everest was excellent, I agree.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 09:21:16 pm »
Suburbanites - stay home. The non-city world is scary and dangerous, and you're not up to the task.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 03:15:50 am »
Suburbanites - stay home. The non-city world is scary and dangerous, and you're not up to the task.

BUMP THAT.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 05:09:46 am »
Aww, c'mon....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

:silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 05:50:57 pm »
Naked and Afraid is an idiotic television "reality" show which strips all clothing and shoes from a male and female who never met each other until they both appear nude at a predetermined place in some wild jungle.  They get one item each, usually choosing a machete type knife and a pot for boiling water IF they can make a fire by rubbing sticks together. Everyone loses ten to twenty-five pounds, gets eaten alive by insects, and shivers every night in the cold and often in the rain.  They eat filthy insects and reptiles and an occasional fish if they can catch them for three weeks and feel wonderful after this dehumanizing and totally unrealistic outing.  Half of the contestants drop out after a few days.

Whatever made the numbskull from New England think that he could survive alone in freezing cold, utterly unprepared?  I don't think he even brought a rifle.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 06:21:13 pm »
It is the hubristic nonsense that somehow one can commune with nature and live in harmony with all about one that gets 'em. Go whisper in some griz' ear. sooner or later you will be seen as a free, easy, hot meal.

Nature is really pretty simple. You want to eat, you kill something (plant or animal), and you will be in competition with other things that want to eat. You don't eat? You starve. They get the same deal. You don't want to be eaten by creatures great or small? You defend against that. You don't stay warm enough? You freeze. You don't drink enough fluids (without parasites or bacteria, which like to eat, too), you die of thirst, disease, or both, and other things eat.

Fulfill those requirements for staying alive, you are free to enjoy all about you.

But no amount of feeling good about your relationship with the planet or its denizens, no amount of negotiation, will substitute for the above. Not being willing and capable of providing for the needs of food, fuel, water, and shelter at a minimum, will result in failure, and failure is death.

C S Lewis