Author Topic: University Of Tennessee Professor Arrested For Hiding Connections With China  (Read 512 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2020/02/27/university-tennessee-professor-arrested-hiding-connections-china/

University Of Tennessee Professor Arrested For Hiding Connections With China

Last month a professor at Harvard University was arrested for failing to disclose that he’d been receiving $50,000 per month from China. Dr. Charles Lieber had been recruited by something called the Thousand Talents Plan which pays foreign experts to share their knowledge at Chinese universities. However, professors are not allowed to accept research grants from federal agencies while also teaching in China. Lieber allegedly hid his China connections when applying for grants from the National Institutes of Health. Today, a professor in Tennessee has been charged for hiding similar connections to China:

Anming Hu, an associate professor in the department of mechanical, aerospace and biomedical engineering at the university’s flagship Knoxville campus, was charged with three counts of wire fraud and three counts of making false statements…

Prosecutors say Hu defrauded the National Aeronautics and Space Administration by failing to disclose the fact that he was also a professor at the Beijing University of Technology in China. Under federal law, NASA cannot fund or give grant money to Chinese-owned companies or universities.

Will it soon be raining this kind of shoe? IOW, how many more?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Pete wonders:
"Will it soon be raining this kind of shoe? IOW, how many more?"

My guess is this guy is:
e pluribus unum...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by U.S. Department of Justice   February 28, 2020

University of Tennessee researcher arrested for hiding ties with a Chinese university

Anming Hu, an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) was arrested today on a federal indictment and charged with three counts of wire fraud and three counts of making false statements.

“Hu allegedly committed fraud by hiding his relationship with a Chinese university while receiving funding from NASA,” said Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers. “This is just the latest case involving professors or researchers concealing their affiliations with China from their American employers and the U.S. government.   We will not tolerate it.”

“The United States Attorney’s Office takes seriously fraudulent conduct that is devised to undermine federally-mandated funding restrictions related to China and Chinese universities,” said U.S. Attorney J. Douglas Overbey for the Eastern District of Tennessee. “The University of Tennessee has cooperated with the investigation, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office values the university’s assistance in this matter.”

The indictment alleges that beginning in 2016, Hu engaged in a scheme to defraud the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) by concealing his affiliation with Beijing University of Technology (BJUT), a university in China. Federal law prohibits NASA from using appropriated funds on projects in collaboration with China or Chinese universities. As alleged in the indictment, Hu’s false representations and omissions to UTK about his affiliation with BJUT caused UTK to falsely certify to NASA that UTK was in compliance with this federal law.

If convicted, Hu faces up to 20 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000 on each of the wire fraud counts, and up to five years in prison on each of the false statement counts.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/02/university-of-tennessee-researcher-arrested-for-hiding-ties-with-a-chinese-university/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
“Hu allegedly committed fraud by hiding his relationship with a Chinese university while receiving funding from NASA,”

The tip of the iceberg. Almost ALL of these people are actually officers in the PLA,who came here and got AA jobs in major universities to steal teaching curriculum and data to ship back home to China.

The Chinese may be the LEAST productive intelligent people in the world,and this is due to hundreds of years of Chinese rulers executing anyone who asks questions or indulges in independent thought. The result is a population of slaves who wait patiently for orders to follow,which is EXACTLY what the Chinese rulers intended to happen. Everyone with inquisitive minds that wanted to succeed started escaping from China in the 1800's. Now there are none left,only parrots that appear to be human.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Topic merged from 'World News', also, one needs to keep article citation to around 3 paragraphs. @Elderberry

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Topic merged from 'World News', also, one needs to keep article citation to around 3 paragraphs. @Elderberry

Do we need to excerpt the U.S. Dept of Justice to 3 paragraphs?

And this is Not an Education Issue.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Well we all have been saying for years how commie some of these professor are... now we are starting to see it proven correct.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
That must be okay, @Elderberry , I'm glad I did not truncate your post.

Offline PeteS in CA

Do we need to excerpt the U.S. Dept of Justice to 3 paragraphs?

And this is Not an Education Issue.

I've not been around TBR a long time, but my habit has been to make sure that what I quote is not a large % of an article (IOW 25% or less). I'm open to clarification. Some articles are VERYYYYY verbose in getting to their point ... I probably forgo posting 2-5 every week because of this. OTOH, some articles are so brief that posting 25% or less would be almost impossible.

At any rate, I posted this in the Health/Education forum because it seems to be a variety of fraud that has become common in academia (there was an earlier case involving a Harvard prof that was posted in Current Events, IIRC).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I've not been around TBR a long time, but my habit has been to make sure that what I quote is not a large % of an article (IOW 25% or less). I'm open to clarification. Some articles are VERYYYYY verbose in getting to their point ... I probably forgo posting 2-5 every week because of this. OTOH, some articles are so brief that posting 25% or less would be almost impossible.

At any rate, I posted this in the Health/Education forum because it seems to be a variety of fraud that has become common in academia (there was an earlier case involving a Harvard prof that was posted in Current Events, IIRC).

I sure hope this really isn't common in academia now. I wouldn't know since I haven't been in school since 82.

I thought this was more of a fraud against the U.S. Govt in order to spy for China.

The indictment alleges that beginning in 2016, Hu engaged in a scheme to defraud the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) by concealing his affiliation with Beijing University of Technology (BJUT), a university in China. Federal law prohibits NASA from using appropriated funds on projects in collaboration with China or Chinese universities. As alleged in the indictment, Hu’s false representations and omissions to UTK about his affiliation with BJUT caused UTK to falsely certify to NASA that UTK was in compliance with this federal law.

If convicted, Hu faces up to 20 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000 on each of the wire fraud counts, and up to five years in prison on each of the false statement counts.