Author Topic: Target raised wages. Then it cut workers' hours and doubled their workload  (Read 535 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/27/target-cuts-hours-leaves-workers-struggling

Target workers have noted a drastic reduction in scheduled hours and significant increases in workloads as Target has increased their minimum wage and rolled out a “modernization plan” in 2019 to increase efficiency. They think that broader influences in the retail sector are responsible for their plight – notably, the actions of their hard-charging rival Amazon.

“They’re responding to what Amazon is doing,” Ryan added. “They are trying to turn these stores into their own distribution centers, using brick-and-mortar stores. We have to be warehouse workers and customer service workers.”

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Want more money, do more work :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Haven't cared for Target since my son worked there decades ago in high school and learned what their corporate attitude was to their employees. I see Target as trying to be an upscale Walmart but I don't think their higher prices and attitude help much as far as customer traffic, maybe that's why they took a $25 billion dollar hit when they failed in Canada.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Haven't cared for Target since my son worked there decades ago in high school and learned what their corporate attitude was to their employees. I see Target as trying to be an upscale Walmart but I don't think their higher prices and attitude help much as far as customer traffic, maybe that's why they took a $25 billion dollar hit when they failed in Canada.
That thing over the bathrooms didn't help, either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That thing over the bathrooms didn't help, either.
Pretty sure that bathroom thing had nothing to do with Targets failure in Canada, I think Canadians would have seen it as a bonus feature.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Yep, saw that very thing during the bathroom debacle when Target opened its bathrooms to either sex.

Remember when Target spent millions to offer private bathrooms so families could use and not suffer from men coming into women's bathrooms?

Well, my daughter-in-law went to Target with her three daughters and during the time there went to the private bathroom to use it, only to find it locked.

When my daughter-in-law asked to obtain the key, she was told that it was reserved for the employees.

So even the employees knew what a bad open-bathroom policy Target had.

None in my family visit Target anymore.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington