Author Topic: National Guard officials, states push back on Trump’s border wall fund diversion  (Read 317 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Federal News Network by Scott Maucione 2/25/2020

President Donald Trump is getting heavy pushback from top National Guard officials, advocates and the individual states for reprogramming funds from the Pentagon to build a wall on the southern border.

The White House diverted $3.8 billion in funds from the Defense Department’s 2020 budget, and has signaled it is considering moving as much as $7.2 billion.

The Adjutants General Association of the United States (AGAUS), the National Guard Association of the United States and the National Governors Association (NGA) are all making their voices heard in opposing the reprogramming of $1.7 billion of that money, which was supposed to be used for National Guard purposes.

“We believe the reprogramming of 2020 appropriations by the DoD disproportionately targets the National Guard and risks diminishing our lethal capability proven necessary during these decades of conflict,” a letter signed by the leadership of AGAUS, Matthew Quinn, Michael Loh and Timothy Williams, adjutants general of Montana, Colorado and Virginia, respectively.

The shift in funds targets $1.3 billion in the National Guard and Reserve Equipment account — a fund for the rapid procurement of support equipment and commercial off-the-shelf products.

The reprogramming also takes $100 million for the Army National Guard High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle modernization, $196 million for the Air National Guard C-130J and all funds for counter narcotics operations.

More: https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defense-main/2020/02/national-guard-officials-states-push-back-on-trumps-border-wall-fund-diversion/

Offline skeeter

If we're not gonna use the Nat'l Guard to prevent illegal entry, the most prominent local threat to the nation, or kick Antifa's ass, at least, then divert their funds to the wall, by all means.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:55:39 am by skeeter »

Offline mortarman

One has to remember that the leadership of these organizations were promoted to General rank by Sock Monkey. Jus' sayin'.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Colorado is practically a sanctuary State. Montana is far from the southern border, so the wall might seem like a low priority.
...but Virginia is the scariest of all. It is doing a swan dive into the totalitarian abyss, and the people who voted for the people crafting that plunge live in the bedroom communities of NoVA and work in DC.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis