Author Topic: Tesla’s massive 1GWh Megapack battery project with PG&E is approved  (Read 982 times)

Offline thackney

Tesla’s massive 1GWh Megapack battery project with PG&E is approved
https://electrek.co/2020/02/27/tesla-1gwh-megapack-battery-project-pge-approved/
Feb. 27th 2020

Tesla’s massive project to deploy 1GWh of Megapacks to create a giant energy storage system in California with PG&E has received approval from the local authorities.

We first learned of the project at PG&E’s Moss Landing substation when they submitted it to CPUC and the company was in talks with Tesla in 2017.

It involves four separate energy storage projects and two of them should become the world’s largest battery systems.

Dynegy is going to deploy a 300MW / 1,200MWh project on PG&E’s grid while the Tesla project will be a 182.5MW / 730MWh, which could eventually go up to 1.1GWh.

In 2018, we obtained Tesla’s proposal for the project and it shows that the company plans to use ‘Megapack’ instead of its usual Powerpack for large utility-scale projects....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Tesla’s massive 1GWh Megapack battery project with PG&E is approved
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 07:03:46 pm »
Massive looking.  I don't think I would like to walk through it when loaded. 

I wonder what the capital cost of this will be,  operational costs and how long will it last
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 07:06:03 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 12:02:05 am »
Tesla’s massive 1GWh Megapack battery project with PG&E is approved
https://electrek.co/2020/02/27/tesla-1gwh-megapack-battery-project-pge-approved/
Feb. 27th 2020

Tesla’s massive project to deploy 1GWh of Megapacks to create a giant energy storage system in California with PG&E has received approval from the local authorities.

We first learned of the project at PG&E’s Moss Landing substation when they submitted it to CPUC and the company was in talks with Tesla in 2017.

It involves four separate energy storage projects and two of them should become the world’s largest battery systems.

Dynegy is going to deploy a 300MW / 1,200MWh project on PG&E’s grid while the Tesla project will be a 182.5MW / 730MWh, which could eventually go up to 1.1GWh.

In 2018, we obtained Tesla’s proposal for the project and it shows that the company plans to use ‘Megapack’ instead of its usual Powerpack for large utility-scale projects....
Good Lord! just .1 Gigawatts more and they have enough for time travel..............once they invent a Flux Capacitor and Time Circuits that is.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Sorry, I know it's a serious topic
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:08:04 am by GtHawk »

Offline kidd

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:31:08 am »
To the best of my knowledge, this is 11 times bigger than the biggest existing battery storage system presently in use (Austrailia Hornsdale Power Reserve at 100 MWh).

All of this is dwarfed by pumped storage capacity, the largest being 24 GWh (Bath County, Virginia)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:40:06 am by kidd »

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 05:01:11 am »
Good Lord! just .1 Gigawatts more and they have enough for time travel..............once they invent a Flux Capacitor and Time Circuits that is.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Sorry, I know it's a serious topic

That was "Jigawatts"... Not Gigawatts...

Online GtHawk

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:33:03 am »
That was "Jigawatts"... Not Gigawatts...
I do believe that if you check you may find that Gigawatt used to be, in dem olden days of yore, pronunciated as Jigawatt.

According to Wikipedia, the official National Institute of Standards and Technology pronunciation is with a soft g. The Merriam-Webster dictionary lists two pronunciations: soft g first, then followed by a hard g.Apr 8, 2008

Then again I might just be talking out of my

Online DB

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:49:46 am »
I do believe that if you check you may find that Gigawatt used to be, in dem olden days of yore, pronunciated as Jigawatt.

According to Wikipedia, the official National Institute of Standards and Technology pronunciation is with a soft g. The Merriam-Webster dictionary lists two pronunciations: soft g first, then followed by a hard g.Apr 8, 2008

Then again I might just be talking out of my

Jigawatt is funnier... Assuming it isn't racist...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 06:23:06 am »
All of this is dwarfed by pumped storage capacity, the largest being 24 GWh (Bath County, Virginia)

I remember when VEPCO built that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 07:12:57 am »
Jigawatt is funnier... Assuming it isn't racist...
Next Biden speech he'll be talking about that guy he had to set straight after Corn Pop, the guy you know JiggaWho,  JiggaWhat? no JiggaPuff!