Author Topic: 'Swift Boat' sequel? Military pitch threatens to backfire on Buttigieg  (Read 410 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Swift Boat' sequel? Military pitch threatens to backfire on Buttigieg

By Ben Wolfgang - The Washington Times - Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A seven-month deployment in Afghanistan shrouded in secrecy is a key piece of Pete Buttigieg’s pitch to voters in the 2020 presidential race, with the former South Bend, Indiana, mayor arguing that his status as a veteran and his time in a war zone give him foreign policy gravitas and first-hand military experience none of his Democratic primary rivals can claim.

That supposed strength, however, ultimately could become a weakness in a potential general election match-up with President Trump and a Republican Party that is already eyeing ways to turn Mr. Buttigieg’s time as a Naval intelligence officer into a liability. Some of those who served alongside Mr. Buttigieg in Afghanistan during his 2014 deployment told The Washington Times that the 38-year-old rising star in the Democratic Party performed admirably in his role and deserves credit for putting on the uniform and for being careful in how he frames his military service, which centered on logistical and intelligence-gathering efforts rather than front-line life-threatening missions in the field.

But there’s a growing belief in some political quarters that Mr. Buttigieg — who has made his time in the military a central selling point to voters ahead of this weekend’s primary contest in South Carolina — may have already gone too far. And it’s not clear whether the Buttigieg campaign is fully prepared for a potential onslaught of political ads that could be reminiscent of the 2004 “Swift Boat” campaign that helped sink Democratic presidential candidate and Vietnam War veteran John Kerry’s ambitions.

more
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/feb/26/pete-buttigieg-military-service-pitch-invites-swif/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: 'Swift Boat' sequel? Military pitch threatens to backfire on Buttigieg
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 03:26:39 pm »
I read this article closely.

My conclusion is, Buttigieg's military record is probably strong enough.

That program he was in, where some folks get preferential treatment in that program, do not have to spend years working their ways up, does seem to give people like Buttigieg and others a break but is probably not enough of a negative.

My opinion, one does need to read what the article says.  Maybe there is more to it but nothing in the article for his campaign to show much concern about.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:35:36 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 'Swift Boat' sequel? Military pitch threatens to backfire on Buttigieg
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:03:58 pm »
I read this article closely.

My conclusion is, Buttigieg's military record is probably strong enough.

That program he was in, where some folks get preferential treatment in that program, do not have to spend years working their ways up, does seem to give people like Buttigieg and others a break but is probably not enough of a negative.

@TomSea

I agree,BUT...,most people,even those who served 1 enlistment,have no idea how safe and protected those jobs are,and how they are awarded to people with political connections.

I am NOT familiar with what,if anything,Buttplug has been hinting at,but IF he has been hinting he was going out on secret missions to gather intelligence like some sort of CIA agent that is risking life and limb for country,he's toast  if there are videos of him making those claims.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!