Author Topic: Networks Bury Trump’s India Visit, Gave Obama’s 21x More Coverage in 2010  (Read 232 times)

rangerrebew

Networks Bury Trump’s India Visit, Gave Obama’s 21x More Coverage in 2010
By Bill D'Agostino | February 26, 2020 4:02 PM EST

President Trump’s state visit to India received less than a single minute of evening news coverage from broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC). But back in 2010, those same networks dedicated more than 20 times as much coverage (18.5 minutes) to then-President Obama’s India trip, often making it the top item of their nightly broadcasts.

Each of the evening newscasts allocated just a single news brief to Trump’s trip, all on February 24 (the first day of the visit). NBC and ABC spent a paltry 13 and 15 seconds respectively on the Presidential excursion. While CBS’s report lasted just 23 seconds, it was the only one even to mention the President’s trade negotiations — albeit with a single sentence.

Source URL: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/bill-dagostino/2020/02/26/networks-bury-trumps-india-visit-gave-obamas-21x-more-coverage

Offline Applewood

I don't know that the networks "buried" Trump's India visit.  ABC covered it substantially last night  on World News, but gave the coronavirus hysteria top billing.  I expect the other networks did the same. 

Honestly, I don't think there was a whole lot to report about the visit itself.  As far as I know, Trump did not secure an agreement or get much of anything else substantial.

Offline ArneFufkin

I don't know that the networks "buried" Trump's India visit.  ABC covered it substantially last night  on World News, but gave the coronavirus hysteria top billing.  I expect the other networks did the same. 

Honestly, I don't think there was a whole lot to report about the visit itself.  As far as I know, Trump did not secure an agreement or get much of anything else substantial.

It was a formal State visit to the most populous Democratic state - the most populous Country - in the World.  125,000 people jammed into the Patel cricket stadium in Ahmedabad in 85 degree heat to see the President and Indian PM speak and hundreds of thousands more lined the streets of the motorcade.  It was a prideful holiday there and in Dehli.  There were substantial discussions of trade and mutual security interests.   Trump brought his entire economic and trade team to India with him. The reception by PM Modi and the Indian people to the visit was overwhelming and moving. 

India remains one of the most protective, but potentially lucrative, markets on Earth.  Trump is committed to breaking down the barriers.  This was a very important first step.  The real evil of Media bias is what they DON'T cover.  This was Exhibit A.

The trip was enlightening simply to disabuse the elitist canard that Trump has made the United States a "laughing stock" around the World.   America is considered anything but.