Author Topic: After 28 Years and Five Grand Slams, Maria Sharapova Steps Away From The Game  (Read 621 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/02/maria-sharapova-steps-away-from-the-game

Behind closed doors, thirty minutes before taking the court, I had a procedure to numb my shoulder to get through the match. Shoulder injuries are nothing new for me—over time my tendons have frayed like a string. I’ve had multiple surgeries—once in 2008; another procedure last year—and spent countless months in physical therapy. Just stepping onto the court that day felt like a final victory, when of course it should have been merely the first step toward victory. I share this not to garner pity, but to paint my new reality: My body had become a distraction.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
TTIUWP

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
All at the ripe old age of 32.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
What a pretty woman !!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DB

She came to America at a very young age for training and opportunity yet played for Russia.

She cheated by using drugs to improve her endurance, was caught and banned for 15 months from playing.

She introduced the world to loud screeching with every ball strike starting a trend paving the way for others to do the same. It is only now being reined in for younger players.

I'm not a fan.

Offline goatprairie

She came to America at a very young age for training and opportunity yet played for Russia.

She cheated by using drugs to improve her endurance, was caught and banned for 15 months from playing.

She introduced the world to loud screeching with every ball strike starting a trend paving the way for others to do the same. It is only now being reined in for younger players.

I'm not a fan.
Monica Seles was the first one I heard who grunted/groaned/shrieked whatever with every shot.
When I played tennis many moons ago I never uttered anything when I hit the ball, and I hit the ball very hard.
I never heard anyone else I played against or saw on the outdoor courts or at the racquet club where I played shout or yelp when they hit the ball. A lot of them were much better than I was.
I think today's young athletes have been told to shout or else they simply copy other players who shriek whenever they hit the ball. For some strange reason young athletes in many sports feel they have to shout/scream whenever they do something good.
Too many athletes today showboat something that would have invited physical retaliation in the old days.

Offline DB

Monica Seles was the first one I heard who grunted/groaned/shrieked whatever with every shot.
When I played tennis many moons ago I never uttered anything when I hit the ball, and I hit the ball very hard.
I never heard anyone else I played against or saw on the outdoor courts or at the racquet club where I played shout or yelp when they hit the ball. A lot of them were much better than I was.
I think today's young athletes have been told to shout or else they simply copy other players who shriek whenever they hit the ball. For some strange reason young athletes in many sports feel they have to shout/scream whenever they do something good.
Too many athletes today showboat something that would have invited physical retaliation in the old days.

Monica Seles was certainly a grunter but Sharapova took it to an entirely different level along with Azarenka. It got old real fast...

Offline goatprairie

Monica Seles was certainly a grunter but Sharapova took it to an entirely different level along with Azarenka. It got old real fast...
"It got old real fast..."

I'm not disagreeing.