Author Topic: Market plunge over coronavirus fears underscores political risk to Trump Passengers exit a plane at  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

As President Trump spent Monday sightseeing in India, the U.S. stock market plunged amid growing concerns about a deadly virus spreading quickly across continents — a split screen that brought into stark relief how the coronavirus is testing the White House and undercutting Trump’s central reelection message.

The Trump administration’s disjointed handling of the outbreak has faced mounting criticism as the president’s allies have scrambled to take preventive steps while seeking to reassure the public, at times struggling to explain their decisions and offer a consistent message.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/market-plunge-over-coronavirus-fears-underscores-political-risk-to-trump/2020/02/24/331aa162-572a-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html

----------------

It was just a matter of time before they went there. So it begins.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Did WaPo mention that those infected flown home were flown here in express defiance of a presidential directive to NOT do so?

I doubt it. Next thing, they have him cooking up a batch in the situation room...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

When the COVID-19 virus spreads into Mexico with little controls, I see border security becoming an even more important factor in the election.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

When the COVID-19 virus spreads into Mexico with little controls, I see border security becoming an even more important factor in the election.
Yet the Obama administration distributed EV D-68 throughout the US with "refugees" from Central America, and little was said.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And if things get bad enough here where people get genuinely scared for their lives, I can see the "Stop Or I Shoot' being part of that border security.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

And if things get bad enough here where people get genuinely scared for their lives, I can see the "Stop Or I Shoot' being part of that border security.
If it's that bad here, maybe they'll stay home.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There is no healthcare where they come from, so it is worth the risk for them
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

There is no healthcare where they come from, so it is worth the risk for them
If you are a citizen who got stripped of your insurance by Obamacare (over a million of us had that), there isn't much here, either.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

IF it becomes bad here, it'll be worse there and they will flock here for treatment.

Not time like the present (excuse) to shut down our borders.  No entry into this country.  None.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

Dow down at opening 123 points.

Offline Smokin Joe

The panic is working fabulously. Buy at the bottom...

In the meantime, the push is on to wreck the economy in time for the election.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Approaching -500.  We're in Correction territory.  I think we may already be 10% off the all-time high for the DJIA.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

How the stock market has performed during past viral outbreaks, as coronavirus spreads to Italy and Iran
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-the-stock-market-has-performed-during-past-viral-outbreaks-as-chinas-coronavirus-spreads-2020-01-22

U.S. equity markets have experienced turbulent trade recently as investors keep watch of a deadly viral outbreak of COVID-19 in China....

...However, gauged by the market’s performance during the onset of other infectious diseases, including SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, Ebola and avian flu, Wall Street investors may have little to fear that the pathogen will sicken a U.S. stock market that finished 2019 with the best annual return in years and finished Thursday trade at all-time highs....

...Historically, however, Wall Street’s reaction to such epidemics and fast-moving diseases is often short-lived.

According to Dow Jones Market Data, the S&P 500 posted a gain of 14.59% after the first occurrence of SARS back in 2002-03, based on the end of month performance for the index in April, 2003. About 12 months after that point, the broad-market benchmark was up 20.76% (see attached table):...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

How the stock market has performed during past viral outbreaks, as coronavirus spreads to Italy and Iran
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-how-the-stock-market-has-performed-during-past-viral-outbreaks-as-chinas-coronavirus-spreads-2020-01-22

U.S. equity markets have experienced turbulent trade recently as investors keep watch of a deadly viral outbreak of COVID-19 in China....

...However, gauged by the market’s performance during the onset of other infectious diseases, including SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, Ebola and avian flu, Wall Street investors may have little to fear that the pathogen will sicken a U.S. stock market that finished 2019 with the best annual return in years and finished Thursday trade at all-time highs....

...Historically, however, Wall Street’s reaction to such epidemics and fast-moving diseases is often short-lived.

According to Dow Jones Market Data, the S&P 500 posted a gain of 14.59% after the first occurrence of SARS back in 2002-03, based on the end of month performance for the index in April, 2003. About 12 months after that point, the broad-market benchmark was up 20.76% (see attached table):...
Like I said, a buying opportunity.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

The panic is working fabulously. Buy at the bottom...

In the meantime, the push is on to wreck the economy in time for the election.

Exactly right.  With Bernie promising his free stuff, he could very well be our next POTUS. I don't see the market recovering from that.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.