Author Topic: Why Renewable Energy Is a Technical Reality But An Economic Disaster  (Read 778 times)

Offline thackney

Why Renewable Energy Is a Technical Reality But An Economic Disaster
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-renewable-energy-technical-reality-economic-disaster-126446
February 23, 2020

2020 may turn out to be the year of the battery. The Trump administration has made grid-level battery backup a focus of its Energy Storage Grand Challenge -- an effort to create an all-American supply chain for advanced battery technologies. Meanwhile, Texas, which is the only state to run its own electricity grid, is offering up to $9000 a megawatt-hour for peak summer battery power. And on the other side of the world in South Australia, Tesla has been asked to up the capacity of its mammoth battery in the desert to 193.5 megawatt-hours, or about double the storage capacity of the entire Texas state grid....

...Thanks to the batteries, South Australia now has more reliable power, but at a price: it has the most expensive power in the country, costing roughly twice as much as the US national average for 2019. This, in a country that is (by far) the world's largest exporter of coal and tied with Qatar as the world's biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas.

The problem for South Australia (and other aspiring renewables powerhouses) is that the economics of renewable energy get worse and worse as you scale them up. That's the opposite of traditional economics of scale. With a coal-fired power plant, as you build bigger, your power gets cheaper, smoother, and more reliable. With wind or solar, it's exactly the opposite: the bigger you build, the more expensive, more volatile, and more unreliable your power supply becomes. No one ever heard of battery backup for coal-fired baseload power....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Why Renewable Energy Is a Technical Reality But An Economic Disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:37:45 pm »
Why Renewable Energy Is a Technical Reality But An Economic Disaster
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/why-renewable-energy-technical-reality-economic-disaster-126446
February 23, 2020

2020 may turn out to be the year of the battery. The Trump administration has made grid-level battery backup a focus of its Energy Storage Grand Challenge -- an effort to create an all-American supply chain for advanced battery technologies. Meanwhile, Texas, which is the only state to run its own electricity grid, is offering up to $9000 a megawatt-hour for peak summer battery power. And on the other side of the world in South Australia, Tesla has been asked to up the capacity of its mammoth battery in the desert to 193.5 megawatt-hours, or about double the storage capacity of the entire Texas state grid....

...Thanks to the batteries, South Australia now has more reliable power, but at a price: it has the most expensive power in the country, costing roughly twice as much as the US national average for 2019. This, in a country that is (by far) the world's largest exporter of coal and tied with Qatar as the world's biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas.

The problem for South Australia (and other aspiring renewables powerhouses) is that the economics of renewable energy get worse and worse as you scale them up. That's the opposite of traditional economics of scale. With a coal-fired power plant, as you build bigger, your power gets cheaper, smoother, and more reliable. With wind or solar, it's exactly the opposite: the bigger you build, the more expensive, more volatile, and more unreliable your power supply becomes. No one ever heard of battery backup for coal-fired baseload power....
To me, that is the problem in a nutshell.

Stay small for renewables, go big with coal, nuclear.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:12:09 pm »
To me, that is the problem in a nutshell.

Stay small for renewables, go big with coal, nuclear.

"Renewables" are fine for niche off grid operation on small scales, like a remote fishing cabin or desert water well. They play havoc with grid operations when you scale them up.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:38:42 pm »
I don't quite understand President Trump's vision for energy, he has done a couple of things that baffled me.
He had the chance to get ethanol out of our gas and he not only renewed it but raised the percentage to 20, and now this battery thing... confused..

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 02:22:01 pm »
I don't quite understand President Trump's vision for energy, he has done a couple of things that baffled me.
He had the chance to get ethanol out of our gas and he not only renewed it but raised the percentage to 20, and now this battery thing... confused..
I think his vision gets batted down by the self interests in the halls of Congress, and he apparently refuses to veto.

Example of what happened to DOE R&D budget

https://www.aip.org/fyi/2020/final-fy20-appropriations-doe-applied-energy-rd
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington